Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NJ (& Others) Nov/Dec 2008 Chat

Yesterday I made this in the crockpot.....the guys really liked it. I put my spin on it in Red. I used the crockpot.

Tastes Like Lasagna Soup

1 pound ground chuck

1 onion, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon thyme

1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar

1 (32-ounce) box chicken broth

2 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes

1 (15-ounce) can Tomato sauce

2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (I didn't have this so I used 1/2 tsp each of oregano, parlsey, garlic powder and cilantro)

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups broken lasagna noodles (I used 2 cups of egg noodles instead)

1 (5-ounce) package grated Parmesan cheese (I used the Kraft one from the bottle and just poured about 1/4 cup in)

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Garlic Crostini, recipe follows (I didn't make this, we just had regular Italian bread and dipped it)

Garlic Crostini:

1 thin French baguette

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 cloves smashed garlic

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large Dutch oven, combine ground chuck, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles. Drain well. (Then I added it to my crockpot with the other incredients except the noodles)

Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, (parm cheese if using crockpot) and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add noodles, (if using crockpot add 1 hour before eating) and simmer until noodles are tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese.

Preheat broiler. Ladle Soup into 8 to 10 ovenproof bowls. Evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil Soups, 6-inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly. Add a garlic crostini slice on top. Serve immediately.

For the garlic crostini:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut bread into 1/4-inch round slices. Place on baking sheet and brush each slice with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; place in oven and bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Rub each side with smashed garlic cloves.

Something else I did to my bowl but, the guys didn't want it, before putting it under the broiler to melt the mozzarella cheese I put a dollop of low fat ricotta cheese in the middle of my soup then put the mozzarella on top and broiled. NOW THAT'S LASAGANA IN A BOWL haha. It was really good but, I like ricotta :sad_smile:

Good morning ladies!

How is everyone doing? Well, we have a little bit of snow on the ground. Mostly on the grass and sidewalks, not the street, about an inch. It is pretty though.

So I am still with my Mom. My house is happening very slowly, probably another 2 to 3 weeks, gosh I have been saying that for 3 weeks now! Ugh!

Hey, whatever happened with the christmas card exchange? are we still doing that?

Hello Y'all!

Just been very busy, got my tree up and all my indoor decorations put up. DH is doing the outside today I think. It is going to be 68 here today so it will be warm for him to put up things if he gets off his butt. lol

We did some shopping yesterday, but haven't made a dent in it yet. I haven't done any baking and probably won't do a lot of it unless I get bored. I stay away from sweets most of the year and then at the holidays I go crazy. I figure I don't need all that around me, but dh loves it so much i usually end up making it.

Today is laundry, finish cleaning and cooking. Is there ever time for a day of rest? I can't seem to find one anymore.

I wish I could post a picture of my tree, it sure turned out pretty this year.

Well, going to post this before I lose it, my laptop is so touchy I am always loosing my stuff.

Hey everyone, wonder what happened to my earlier post :biggrin:.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Sherry, OMG, that's way too much work for me, sounds really good, but half that stuff I've never heard of, LOL.

Going to watch the skins, tc all.

Just waiting on an address and then will send the list out......

I could not for the life of me find my list from last year.

So I sent PM's to those I need---soon as they get here, I will send them right out.

Too early for me, as soon as Kinsey gets here, we are going back to bed!!!

Catch y'all later!!

Kat

Good Morning y'all!

UGH it's Monday already! Where did the weekend go?

I am not ready to go back to work already!

Sherry - I made your Soup and it was really good! Dh loved it too!

Pat - It's not hard at all to make, in fact it is really easy!

Loved your tree! Congrats on the 4 year anniversary!

Michaele - Just think about how beautiful everything will be when it is all finished! :biggrin:

Kat - The most wonderful trees are decorated at the hands of babes. It's totally wonderful to look back at those pictures!

Diane - Is the job going any better? I haven't heard you say lately.

Trish - How is your mother doing now? Sure hope she is feeling better!

Darcy girl - How is the business going? I bet you are booming this time of year!

Anyone heard from Donna?

Eileen - Hey girlfriend, we miss your lovely posts, stick you head in more often.

Did anyone get the Christmas list going? I need one!

Well, sorry if I missed you but work calls and I can't be late so off to work I go.

Later!

Pre-op done....blood pressure is up...gee wonder why...wouldn't have anything to do with the stress of all this and the 30 I put back on would it? UGH. Anyway they said they wouldn't stop the surgery because of that but, I should have my PCP take a peek. Well I won't have an appointment with her before surgery it takes freaking months to see her unless you're deathly ill.

I have my tree up but, no decorations...hmmm sounds like dey-ja-vou (spelling?) of last year lol. Do I hafta put it up? Just not in the mood even with the snow we had yesterday. I think I'm a scrooge this year....nah just too much going on with this band of mine. We don't see DH's family until after the holiday because of the surgery so might have to do some shopping after Christmas and catch the sales to save money. I did that last year and got the gals all gifts already ...just have the guys left on his side.

burrrr it's cold here...was 14 degrees and windy. OMG the coldness with all the wind between the buildings going to have the tests done burrrrr.

Betty which Soup did ya make the Lasagna or taco?

Pat...which ingredients didn't you know? I didn't know about the Petite chopped toms until I went to the store lol. Saw the can and the light bulb lit up lol

well just go back from Boston for those tests. It was booked for 1 and we were stuck there for 3 hours because the computers went down. Tired now......gotta finish laundry and figure out something for supper UGH.

Love yas

Tree??? Decor??? Nope....lol. No time!!!! Seriously... what the heck... between helping my Sis get the business open and pouring and testing and setting up the workshop area... I do not have time for CHristmas this year! I've done a lot of test burning... my house smells like a FR. HO House...lol.

Have to go finish dinner... SHerry... after we shovel the 14 inches of snow we are supposed to get... I am going to run out and get the ingredients for your soup...sounds wonderful!

Love to you all... I'll be back!

SherryW

"In a large Dutch oven, combine ground chuck, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles"

What'sa a Dutch Oven? Is it cookware only used by Dutch people? I have that cool stainless stuff, it's got a huge pot with a drainer/strainer type insert I use for boiling eggs, would that work?

My set is by Wolfgang it looks good in my kitchen, LOL. I looked up the dutch oven, it's a freakin big pot with a lid, why didn't ya just say so, LOL.

And the garlic, do you use real garlic or do you convert real garlic equivilant to garlic powder? I can brown that beef in the microwave right? Never mind, I'll just cook a Stouffer's lasagna and cut it up and make it into Soup, sounds much easier, hahaha.

Later gal pals

thought you might could use a little fun time

Trish - How is your mother doing now? Sure hope she is feeling better!

Thanks for asking. She is doing okay. I think I mentioned awhile back that she had a traumatic fall at home. It's been slow going for her mentally..there's sort of a "delay" when she's processing info. It's as if she aged overnight. She seems to be getting stronger, but it does get overwhelming for those of us around her and dealing with things everyday. Her normal behavior was that she could run circles around me and that's certainly not the case now.

But, given everything, we are fortunate to have her here. :)

HAHAHA Pat you crack me up. I used real garlic and my garlic press and yea it's a big pot with a cover lol. I just fried the ground beef in a big frying pan with the other stuff and dumped it in my crockpot lol

Ladies!!!!

I did it!!!! I am in onederland!!! Woo hoo!!! 199 baby!

Oh my holy crap, i am so excited!!!! 28 pounds down.

Hope you are all well.

:eek::w00t::blushing::Banane42::wink::bananapartyhat:YAY Michaele!!!!!!!!!!!!:Banane32::bored::Banane27::blink::Banane33::(:drool:

Dancin' Nanners JUST FOR YOU!!!! I am so proud of you for making Onederland!!!!

Ladies be on the lookout in your email, I sent out the addresses I have received just a couple of minutes ago.

Diane--------let us know if you want included I can forward it on when I hear from you....same with anyone else!!

WooooHoooo Celebrate Michaele....but not with food!!!

Kat

WTG Michaele, your rock!

I made an appt for a fill today, all of my jeans are tight, I hate it! My appt is Jan 15 :eek:, I'll gain 30 lbs by then. I gotta get a grip!

Cooked Rock fish tonight, Sherry you'd be proud of me :(, had a house full of people, I fixed a rubbed spicy version on the grill and then baked some in a combo dip.

Alright friends, I'm outta here for the night....hugs!

Congrats Michaela! Keep up the good work!

Kat - Thanks for the addresses. I'm making no promises though lol. I'll try my best to get them in the mail.

Pat......girl....You DID put a smile on my face today :wink: I laughed and my husband got a kick out of it too and then I had that great feeling that you get when you have good friends. Thanks so much for thinking of me, You have no idea how much that means to me. You bet I'll be having fun with my new crayons! I think I need to ease my nerves and crafts are too much right now so this is the next best thing for me! **still smilin'**

Week from today I'm going under the knife again. Dang it's scarey no matter how simple the procedure is huh?

Did I tell you folks about the Lindora company?