Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revised From Band to Sleeve: Did you have a large mass where your port was?

It's been a week since my surgery. I had a band to sleeve revision. I have (and have had since surgery) a large lump where my port was. I think it's the same incision they took the band, port, and stomache out of. There is no heat or redness. The incision is healing fine, just a bump.

Also, were your BM's green? Is this from the dye used for the leak test?

Thank you for any help.

Cheryl

Angel Nurse,

Thank you for your reply.

The mass is still there and even if I shouldn't worry about it, I do.

It is at the site where my port used to be. It is where the drain was and I'm sure where they removed the band, port and stomach. I don't know that it has gotten any bigger, but it is large. It was there when I left the hospital. My husband and I joked about it being the head of a baby. Anyway, there is no heat or redness. I don't have a fever. The incision seems to be healing well (no redness or swelling of the actual incision line).

My pants that were too big before surgery are tight in the waist, even though I am down 10 lbs since surgery.

My surgery was done in Mexicali so I would have to go to a doctor that may not know anything about this surgery. He may not know what is normal. Also, I'm sure I would have to pay for any treatment, so...don't want to act too quickly.

Now, here is a theory. I have lost all of my excess weight, plus some. I had a Tummy Tuck last March. Could it be that it's just that I have no excess skin for the mass to 'hide' in? I wonder if I would have even noticed it if I had all the skin I used to have on my stomach.

What do you think?

I think it's common to feel a mass under an incision. I've got a tiny hard spot under one of my tiny incisions. They usually go away as they heal.

Angel Nurse,

Thank you for your reply.

The mass is still there and even if I shouldn't worry about it, I do.

It is at the site where my port used to be. It is where the drain was and I'm sure where they removed the band, port and stomach. I don't know that it has gotten any bigger, but it is large. It was there when I left the hospital. My husband and I joked about it being the head of a baby. Anyway, there is no heat or redness. I don't have a fever. The incision seems to be healing well (no redness or swelling of the actual incision line).

My pants that were too big before surgery are tight in the waist, even though I am down 10 lbs since surgery.

My surgery was done in Mexicali so I would have to go to a doctor that may not know anything about this surgery. He may not know what is normal. Also, I'm sure I would have to pay for any treatment, so...don't want to act too quickly.

Now, here is a theory. I have lost all of my excess weight, plus some. I had a Tummy Tuck last March. Could it be that it's just that I have no excess skin for the mass to 'hide' in? I wonder if I would have even noticed it if I had all the skin I used to have on my stomach.

What do you think?

4meonly,

Can you call your doc in MX? How large a "mass" are we talking about? It's probably just scar tissue, but if it was me, I'd want to make sure everything was okay.

It's been a week since my surgery. I had a band to sleeve revision. I have (and have had since surgery) a large lump where my port was. I think it's the same incision they took the band, port, and stomache out of. There is no heat or redness. The incision is healing fine, just a bump.

Also, were your BM's green? Is this from the dye used for the leak test?

Thank you for any help.

Cheryl

Cheryl...

Remember when you got your band? Your port was the first to hurt and the last to heal.

Yeah, long lost memories come back again. Your export is the first to hurt and the last to heal. Lumps, bumps, pain... all normal.

Wait until you feel the bonfire going on... THAT hurts!

dear 4meonly: Could you tell me your reason(s) for switching from the band to the sleeve? Please and thank you!

Do they remove some of the scar tissue that has built up between the port and the tubing to the band? I really want to get rid of this thickness at my waist which I am sure is mostly scar tissue around the tubing.

I am curious about that too, I tend to keloid and build up a lot of scar tissue.

WASa, you mentioned a feeling like a bonfire? That scares me!

Do they remove some of the scar tissue that has built up between the port and the tubing to the band? I really want to get rid of this thickness at my waist which I am sure is mostly scar tissue around the tubing.

It depends on your surgeon. Some remove just enough to get the band out. My surgeon removes it ALL.

I hated my port, it stuck out like a tumor.

Denise, I know you are considering revision from band to sleeve. I gotta tell you 12 different ways. The worst part of revision is removing your port. It feels like a fire in your belly for about 2 weeks.

I am curious about that too, I tend to keloid and build up a lot of scar tissue.

WASa, you mentioned a feeling like a bonfire? That scares me!

I'd be a liar if I said that it doesn't hurt. It does. I couldn't sit up in bed in the morning until I learned how. You lift a leg, either leg. Then pull yourself up by grabbing on to your bent leg. Otherwise you lay there yelling OUCH OUCH OUCH! ;o)

It's better than sliming on your own spit. At least THIS is temporary, sliming on your own spit is forever. ;o))))))

I refuse to lie or sugar coat anything. Revision surgery hurts. But it's a far cry from dealing with band complications.

I'd be a liar if I said that it doesn't hurt. It does. I couldn't sit up in bed in the morning until I learned how. You lift a leg, either leg. Then pull yourself up by grabbing on to your bent leg. Otherwise you lay there yelling OUCH OUCH OUCH! ;o)

It's better than sliming on your own spit. At least THIS is temporary, sliming on your own spit is forever. ;o))))))

I refuse to lie or sugar coat anything. Revision surgery hurts. But it's a far cry from dealing with band complications.

I have to repeat, we are talking two weeks. Aspirin or Toradol takes care of discomfort.

Susan.. what fixes your barfing on your own saliva?

See what I mean?

Good thing I will be having it done in the spring. I may have to sleep in the recliner for awhile and it's cold in my family room! I know some people said they had to do that have after band surgery, but like I said before I experienced zero pain after my band surgery.

Good thing I will be having it done in the spring. I may have to sleep in the recliner for awhile and it's cold in my family room! I know some people said they had to do that have after band surgery, but like I said before I experienced zero pain after my band surgery.

Revision surgery is a different world. It's not horrific pain that you cannot tolerate, it's just more discomfort than with virgin banding.

You'll see. ;o)

I am such a baby when it comes to pain, but I will take pain meds if I have to! Will dr. aceves send me home with a script?