Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

31 bmi need dr in ny

Yes, but I only know surgeon's in my area -- CA. Also, they do sometimes want you to have co-morbidities.

mehta in nj but probably all out of pocket

Hi,

You are in my boat! I was banded on 1/11/10 in Marina Del Rey by Dr. Jeremy Korman. My weight on banding day was 181 and I had a bmi of 31. I'm 5'3".

I'm pretty fit for a chub. I play a lot of tennis, ski etc but I've been having more and more trouble with my knees. I've been the same weight for the last 13 years since my last child was born.

Dr. Korman didn't have any trouble banding me at all! He was all for maintaining a fun, active lifestyle. I had NO other medical issues but slowly getting less and less active because of knee pain.

Oh, of course, I'm a cash patient. A lot of cash.

I went for my first fill today. 2.5cc in a 10 cc band. I've lost 10 pounds! I couldn't be more thrilled. I'm still using a LOT of self control in the eating department but I have to say, I'm less obsessed with food. I long for the 'sweet spot' people talk about.

I hope this helps. Don't give up.

:scared2:

4/12/10

I also have a low BMI and am being banded by Dr. Ward at Allied Surgical Group in NJ (out of pocket of course). I have researched him and the facility and have not found any negative results. The consult was informative and relaxed, no rush and he was very patient with all questions. I'm going in on the 20th. I'll keep you guys posted.

I know that the group @ NYU medical ctr (Dr.s Ren & Fielding) has done research on low-bmi candidates. They have a great reputation - just banded the head coach of the NY Jets.

There are at least two in the Chicago area (self-pay, of course). I was banded at 30-31.

I'm happy to hear that I am not alone! My Bmi is 31 and my daughter is telling me how much she doesn't want me to have the surgery which totally makes me wonder if I am doing the right thing. I have lost and gained the same 25 lbs for the past few years. I cannot keep it up because I injured my knee with a persoanl trainer last November. Since then I have put that 25lbs back on. I'm 42 and its getting harder to lose. I feel like my life is being hindered by being 50 lbs overweight. My orthopedic dr told me that continued strenous exercise will result in knee surgery. Whats a girl to do??

Don't want to discourage anyone but after 8 months of doing all the required testing my file was complete. MY surgeons office sent it to BCBS and I was told this am that it was denied bcause of low BMI. I weigh 220 and am 5'6 with high blood pressure. I can't believe they denied me. Yesterday they said it was ready to be approved....but after getting my weight chart from 2008 (when I weighed 205) they denied me. Tomorrow my surgeon, Dr. Geiss in NY will personally call BCBS and have a "peer to peer" discussion with the supervisor to see if he can change their minds. Hoping for the best. Discouraged to say the least. cat lady