Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should prostitution be legal?

Should prostitution be legal?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should prostitution be legal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I will tell you one thing, and that is that i have been so busy with work, running a house and looking after my 2 school aged children that i couldnt care any more about the issue. And i definately couldnt care any LESS.

If it is regulated to be "clean" why not? It is the worlds oldest profession and is not going away even if it is illegal so why not make it safer.

I think any sex acts between consenting adults are none of the government's business.

As far as I'm concerned, whatever people want to do with their own bodies, so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others, should be legal.

Nobody cares if a woman chooses to have sex with a man (or vice versa) after he buys her a nice dinner. Why should anyone object if, instead of paying for dinner, he offers to simply give her the same money that the dinner would have cost him in the first place?

How different is it from a man sleeping with his secretary and then giving her a raise?

Am I morally opposed to prostitution? Absolutely. But I can see no legitimate grounds why it should be illegal.

I'm also morally opposed, but why not tax their earnings like everyone else. In the past I've seen things on the news about madames that make a lot more money yearly than I do...tax free no doubt.

Also, if it was legal, wouldn't that provide the prostitutes with more protection from those that hurt them now? Do you think many of those that pay for this type of service would lose interest if they know they would fall under the laws of protection we all have in the work place?

I think any sex acts between consenting adults are none of the government's business.

The only reason I believe it isn't legal is the goverment can't make money off it. How do you regulate it? I mean it works well in Nevada in some places but can it be nationwide?

I agree what I do is my business. I believe that many women are forms of prostitutes without calling themselves it. Sugar daddies and their babies pop into my mind. :thumbup:

I am opposed to legalization for numerous reasons.

People keep saying that a person has the right to choose what they want to do with their body, and "what's done between two consenting adults..." These are truisms.

But the bigger picture comes in some of the other arguments.

"If it is regulated to be clean...." di1138 says. This answers a big question. It is not simply an act between consenting adults if Government regulates it... and yes, Government will regulate it. There is no way that Prostitution would be legal without health regulations, expection of taxes, etc. It might start out as simple as health codes governing health checks for prostitutes, but it will wind up with people who use hookers having to sign health contracts, wavers from prosecution, etc.

"How different is it from a man sleeping with his secretary and then giving her a raise" gadgetlady says. Technically, this is already illegal under the sexual harrassment laws and should remain as such. But the point is right, sex in exchange for some sort of benefit is prostitution.

"I think sex acts between consenting adults are none of the govenrment's business" MacMadame says. All well and good if it stays beteen consenting adults. But it is clear that it doesn't. Studies show that when men are regular user of prostitutes, domestic crimes such as spousal abuse are far more common. Also drug abuse among prostitutes and clients are higher than the average. Of course, AIDS is more common

Again, we go back to the health point - will government regulate the health of prostitutes... if so, then how will it regulate the customers? You can't just submit a form, wait three days for a background check and then go and pick up your prostitute like you can a gun...

of course that leads to the question of the second ammendment which I don't want to get some radical gun carriers on my case... so I will get back to the issue.

I will say, I am morally against prostitution. I have never, and would never, use one. But legally, there are many problems that I definitely don't think society should deal with, and so it should not be legalized.

My view on the subject is that why not make them pay taxes like everyone else. It is a business, they are making tax free money on it why not regulate them and make them legal. I for one don't agree that they degrade themselves for money for sex but that is there choice, not, never, my choice but it should be regulated and they should have to pay taxes like everyone else. Look at the Bunny ranch in LasVegas, they are clean and legal, as far as I have heard. There would be no more Pimps around beating the girls they would work for establishments or for themselves and pay like any other person in business large and small.

It is legal and regulated in the Netherlands. There is a red light district in Amsterdam and the prostitutes are required to have frequent medical check-ups. Of course they pay taxes which means that the state is the official pimp in this country.

I am all for the legalisation of prostitution. Human nature being human nature, it will never disappear. Better to protect the sex workers from violent customers, coercive pimps, and to have 'em pay their taxes just like the rest of us do.

It is legal and regulated in the Netherlands. There is a red light district in Amsterdam and the prostitutes are required to have frequent medical check-ups. Of course they pay taxes which means that the state is the official pimp in this country.

I am all for the legalisation of prostitution. Human nature being human nature, it will never disappear. Better to protect the sex workers from violent customers, coercive pimps, and to have 'em pay their taxes just like the rest of us do.

What she said!:)

No, it should not be legal.

Sure... why not?? Sex sells. The Government could bank big time on the tax.