Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr said eat anything I want! What??

I went for my 2 week checkup yesterday and my surgeon said to eay only solid foods from now on. No more Protein Shakes, oatmeal, mashed potatos, Soups, chili, ect...Besides that, he said to eat anything I want. He doesn't want me to think about food. As long as it is solid, no matter the fat, eat it. He said that it doesn't matter if it is a suasage biscuit or chicken breast because I will be full in a matter if bites. This conflicts with everything I see on here. I asked for a guideline menu, and he said don't think about food! Thats all I think about! How do I lose? I understand that more solid food will make me full quick and keep me there, but shouldn't it be good food? Any advise would be great.

Karen

I had my surgeon tell me that at 5 weeks. I'm not allowed shakes or Protein Bars. He wants me to eat real food, like a normal person. He does not believe in weighing every day, (I do anyway), he does not beleive in countiing calories, fat, carbs, etc. I have good, clear guidelines on the healthy foods he would "prefer" that I eat, but I have strict rules. I'm to eat a balanced diet, and only eat one cup at a time. Period. He said that food was an obsession, and that was why I got fat. To count calories, count carbs, log into a food journal every day, etc. was just trading one obsession for another surrounding food, and he wanted to break that habit. He wanted me to enjoy life and find OTHER things to do and "obsess" about. I liked his philosophy and his style, and that's why I went with him as a surgeon. Personally, I agree with him totally. I make good food choices, I try to eat a balanced diet, I avoid certain foods, but don't eliminate them from my vocabulary or my world. If I have a special ocassion, I enjoy it with my family and friends, just not to excess. Not fretting over everything has really been a freeing experience. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.

My doctor has the same philosophy as Aubrie's doctor. That philosophy resonates with me so it's the one I follow. My weight loss so far is slower than many others I see on this site, but even with only 20 lbs down, I look at food in a completely different way and am no longer as obsessed with it as I used to be.

That's how they do it here. Granted it was later than 2 weeks post op before I started solids but by and large in Australia:

you dont count calories

you dont low carb it

you dont count Protein

you dont eat special foods like shakes or bars

You eat a normal, healthy diet based around the standard food pyramid, healthy choice is encouraged of course, and the aim is not to to eat junk like most of us did pre band. But the emphasis is on a NORMAL diet.

It sounds scary if you're a person who likes structure, routine and diets. It puts the responisbility squarely on your choices rather than rules. I tend to agree that logging, counting and measuring is no more healthy food behaviour than overeating - but that's a personal thing. I also suck at making the beds and keeping up the washing, so that says something I think, with regard to my attitude to organisation around food.

At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters for the normal person with no real metabolic problems is a calorie deficit.

Edited by Jachut

I understand the 'eat anything you want' theory once you have restriction. I 'eat anything I want.' But I am at my sweet spot and 5 bites fills me up... I am surprised to see a doc so lenient this early out though. If I were you, I'd make GOOD food choices. High protein... And know that once you have restriction, a 'less restricted diet' will still yield weight loss. HTH!

Exactly what my doctor told me, except starting at 1 week after surgery. 3 days of Clear Liquids, 2 days of cloudy, 2 days of soft food like cottage cheese and eggs, then anything I want but pay attention and remember to chew. I don't know (or care) how my loss compares to anyone else, but I'm down around 35 pounds in 6 weeks so far with a starting BMI of 37, so far so good. I had my first fill 2 weeks ago.

This is actually v. good advice. A friend of mine just had the surgery and was told the same thing. I think it is one reason I have stopped losing. I'm so obsessed over what I eat, how much, etc etc etc. Who the @!%# wants that!

KareBare - my Dr has the same philosophy as yours. It has been interesting reading how everyone's dr varies. I don't think just one way is right, multiple ones can work but this advise has worked for me. The theory works in a couple different ways.

- By eating REAL food, you will feel fuller sooner - drinking liquids, eating mushies or soft - it is easier for more food to get through band. You help train your mind (let's be honest this is big for a lot of us) how to eat before you have no residual restriction from slight surgical swelling - take smaller bites, chew more.

- You are not going to eat very much at first so having a few more calories from the "any kind of food you want" is ok for now - My DR changed this when I went in for the first postop fill (5 weeks postop) but I still actually tried to make sensible choices most of the time during that period just to get me used to it and not make it hard to keep on the right track later.

- My Dr doesn't want me focusing on wt loss now either - his big thing is are you getting enough Protein in, making sensible choices, not feeling hungry and maintaining a wt loss of any kind?

I was banded in 4/08 and averaged about 10 lbs a month loss until the last couple months where it changed to 5-8 lbs/month. (I also was bad about exercising these months though - that's changed this month and I can already tell I will probably be around 8-10 lbs)

Everyone is different though (patients and Drs) and I firmly believe everyone needs to follow the advise of their Dr's because they are the ones following your progress and can give the appropriate advise when things aren't working well if that happens.

Good Luck!

yup my doctor told me the same thing then i came on this site and my mind was blown but i must admit when i was eating like that i stayed full very long ate very little and the weight came off. when i ate Soups mushy stuff i got hungry more often .

05-05-08 band 4cc band

high 328 current 248 goal 190

My dr has said very similar things. He does want me to eat healthy & make sure I'm getting enough Protein & all that but he says 'If you want a hamburger, have one'. The deal is, I use to get the big burger with a wad of fries & eat the whole thing. Now, I get a jr burger with less fries or a side salad, pull the bread off as I eat it & usually don't finish. So, I'm still eating what I want, just less of it.

wow, this is making me feel so good about what i have been doing. i was banded oct. 1st and about 3 weeks post op, i started nibbling on things that i thought that i couldnt have and now, i eat more chicken that i do anything else for the Protein. i cant eat hardly as much as i used to but i do stay full much longer when i eat solids. i had some grits and eggs this morning about 9:30, and i still am not really hungry. i feel that i need to munch on something but not a whole meal, so this works for me. i get my first fill on nov. 6th and i will see what the dr has to say about my eating habits. i have lost 15 lbs since the surgery and i am exercising so that is a good thing.

Hmmm......I'm about two weeks out and I can't eat solids until week 5 - "soft solids" at that. I'm totally starving all the time and really sick of my "options". I want so badly to nibble at something solid but I'm too afraid. Its kind of making me depressed because I haven't had solids in 31 days.....yes I'm COUNTING!! When I started my pre-op diet I was gung ho about it....even coming out of surgery. But now all I think about is food and much I miss it. I believe it to be the enemy now and I'm completely obsessing about food. On Monday I move into the mushy phase and I'm actually excited. I don't know why there are restrictions but I'm too afraid to go against what my docter says but I can't understand why there are so many different versions of the pre and post op diets out there. I mean there has to be some reason why I have such a strict post op diet, right? I don't know what that reason is but like I said, I'm too scared to go against what he says so I won't but it's depressing me!!!!! :smile2:

hi soalfosh,im same thing i am going nuts to so far ive been great,tomarrow im gonna try 2 crackers even tho im not surpose to for a another week i got banded oct 20th so its been 2 weeks,i cant wait to have some mashed potatoes lol.atleast thanksgiving ill be able to eat alittle lol.then right after that i get my 1st fill,we can make it i know it,ive walked since day i got home and i am walking 2 miles a day.jsut rember theres others thinking about food to like me,loli total understand gl

hey for all you folks that are eating what you want (my doc has very strict rules, like baby food thru week 3 and 4) my friend gave me same advice, she had surgery in different state...one question that i have for you guys, is what amounts are you eating? cause i cant eat as much as i did before the band, but i cant lie, i don't know what that really says, becasue i could eat "A LOT" before the band...so what is not too much after the band? i get my 1st fill day before thanksgiving, Nov. 26th...would really like to know if yall are measuring the food or eating until you're full or just satisfied...i have ate enought o cause a chest discomfort 3 times, am trying not to ever do that again...just do not want to stretch my pouch, so any feedback is appreciated...thanks