Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year Bandiversary---Wouldn't change a thing!

I wanted to post this on my one year bandiversary... Today is the day!

When I went in for surgery, I weighed 235, with a BMI of 41.0. I was embarrassed that I was 31 years old, and morbidly obese. I didn't suffer major health problems, except for sore knees, god-awful snoring that showed slight sleep apnea, and I was always tired. I had two little girls, ages 2 and 4, who I wanted to have a healthy active lifestyle with. I knew that in my current state, that was not going to happen. As a woman married to a man who could eat ANYTHING and stay underweight, I was frustrated and jealous. I didn't seem fair...

The most discouraging part was the constant feeling of hunger. I was not someone who was addicted to food; I did not grab the bon bons when I was depressed. I was ALWAYS hungry. That feeling never stopped, even after I stuffed myself full after Thanksgiving dinner. I tried the diets, and lost weight, but it always came back, because that hunger was always talking to me. My husband and I talked about all kinds of options: diets, exercise, and surgery. He threw the Lap-Band idea out to me thinking I would reject it, and go on a diet and prove I didn't need a device. But instead, I embraced it. I was so tired of the roller coasters, the hunger, the tiredness. So, I did my research. I knew the likelihood of getting approved for a band with my weight and lack of health problems was extremely slim, so we decided to check out options in Mexico.

I did my research. I did not choose someone with the lowest price. I wanted someone with experience, low rates of complications, and someone with the reputation of success. I settled on a few different surgeons as options, and made some calls. I felt comfortable with Dr. Ortiz's staff, and booked my procedure... to happen in 3 weeks. It became a crazy mind-shift. I immediately had to go on the pre-op diet of 2 shakes and a Lean Cuisine. But, I knew I HAD to do it, so I didn't suffer. I just 'bucked up' and accepted it.

I flew to Mexico and met a woman named Julie down there, who was being banded the same day. We because fast buddies, and it was comforting to me to know I had a friend down there (my husband was at home taking care of the girls) who also was a nurse! We were both impressed with the facilities and the staff. I have 'hard veins' that are impossible to get an IV into. Each time I need bloodwork, it is a nightmare, and it is impossible to donate blood. They had a hard time to get blood, and trying to get an IV in, was hopeless. Numerous nurses poked and prodded, and nothing. I almost called for Julie, just so I had somebody there to hold my hand. But, Dr. Ortiz came in a visited with me, explaining that IV anesthesia was preferred but not the only option, and that I was going to meet with the anesthesiologist and discuss my options. He made me feel at ease and I was instantly calm. The anesthesiologist explained to me some different options and told me he wanted to do the anesthesia via IV, but would put me under with some gas so they could find an appropriate vein without all of the poking and prodding. I agreed, and soon I was on my way down to the OR.

Recovery was a blur, pain was minimal. Julie, her friend Lynn, and I went to a beach in Tijuana for a bit to walk around and just get moving, and it was fun to take it slow, but get out for a bit. After I got home, I took motrin for about 3 days and was fine afterwards.

I followed the post-op diet to the tee. It was not easy, but I also knew in order to have success, and to protect my investment, that is what I needed to do.

Weight loss was slow, but steady. Julie and I kept in touch, and we started at the same height and weight before surgery. We've remained neck and neck in our weight loss, always cheering each other on, and giving feedback and help as necessary. Julie has been one of the best gifts I've received out of this whole journey. Most people don't get to experience a change from start to finish with a friend, someone who knows exactly what you're going through, with someone who can be so supportive. We're going to Las Vegas next month to Celebrate our bandiversary and I can't wait to see the new Julie!

I work in retail part time, a job where I am on my feet the whole time, running back and forth. The exercise I get from my job is great, low-impact, and I can't 'convince myself I don't have time for it.' I also have made a conscious attempt at keeping the time I spent on the computer 'on the couch' limited. My family and I have become more and more active as the weight has dropped.

Before my surgery, I lined up my aftercare surgeon who would do my fills. I chose someone who would follow Inamed/Allergan's guidelines when doing fills, as well as listen to me. Dr. Pleatman followed the specific guidelines for my VG band but also asked me if I agreed with those guidelines or wanted to 'tweak' that recommendation. He is honest with me in what expectations I should have with the band. He did not 'coddle' me and he did not allow me to have false expectations. At my last fill appt, he quite clearly told me, “You're getting down to the end.” His end and my end may be different. I will never EVER be complacent, and I am still losing... but he has kept me grounded.

The band is NOT a perfect fix. It is NOT an easy fix. YOU MUST WORK THE BAND. You MUST be conscious about what you eat and the exercise you get. You must have a dialogue and consistent follow-up with your doctor. YOU MUST REMAIN POSITIVE. You will plateau. Over and over. You'll go up and down. BUT, you must remind yourself that as long as you keep doing the right things, you will have success.

On my one year bandiversary, I weigh in at 164. I have lost 71 pounds. My BMI is now 28.6. I went from being morbidly obese, to the middle of the overweight category. I have gone from a size 18/20 to a 10. My shoe size has gone from a 9 to a 7 ½. My goal weight is 143, so I hope to lose another 25 pounds in the next 12-18 months. BUT, I am realistic. If I stop losing weight and am doing the right things, then I know I am at a good final weight. There are no disappointments with my band, because I'm so much healthier in the new shape I am in.

Updated on Jan 22, 2009. At exactly 15 months post-op, I am now a size 6, and am weighing in at 142. I have exceeded my weight goal, and am elated with my band.

Edited by kgloverii

Great to hear your story, Katy. Just a year ago we were sleeping in the clinic; one day post-op. The clinic was pristine and Dr. Ortiz and his staff are incredible. Anyone who is self pay, this is an option to consider. I borrowed money against the equity in my house; there are ways to get the funds. My insurance does not pay for any weight loss surgery. It's pretty black and white so I had to look for other options.

A warning to all of you: IF YOU'RE TOO TIGHT, GET AN UNFILL! Both Katy and I became too tight, months after the last fill. We both had appts this week for a slight unfill. Even 0.1 cc, a mere drop, can make a huge difference.

Julie in Portland

Dr. Ortiz 10-22-08

wow that story was really amazing i had phones ringin next to me and i didnt even hear them i was soo into your story u trully are a inspiration my surgury is on the 24 of novemeber i was having some regrets but readin this im feelin a little better thankkk u so much and u look greattt :smile2:

Thats great! Congrats to you. I saw your before and after pics and you look great and younger if i might say so. Keep up the good work!

Thank-you for your story.

I very much appreciated your realistic advice ... "you must work the band."

Congratulations on your success.

Your story was very uplifting! Congratulations on your success!

Hi Everyone,

My one year anniversary is this week on November 14, 2008. I was banded on November 14, 2007 and at this time, I weighed 274 LBS. I am proud to say I have lost 91 lbs. Although, the 91 lbs sounds good, the best part is I can keep up with my nine year old son without being tired. Two weeks ago we raced across the football field after his practice and the first thing he said when we finished is mom you are not out of breath. I just smiled and say Thank you God for the opportunity to have good insurance that paid 100% of the cost to have the surgery, thanks for keeping me when I was so obese and thanks for keeping me on the right path to allow me to lose the 91lbs. Thanks for the BAND I will not trade it and it really works. I remember feeling down this time last year because I had let myself get so out of shape and now I look and say what a difference a year make. SO, if you are in the decision mode go for it. If you are in the beginning phase, stick with it and be patientm it will come off. Good Luck to all of you:tt1:

Whenever I start wondering if this is right for me, I know I can come to this site and read stories like yours and know this is what I want, this is what I need. I can't wait to have my story to tell and share with others.

Thank you

Thank you to EVERYONE for their word of encouragement. I truly appreciate it more than you know. Your encouragement keeps me motivated for those last few pounds... the last few pounds are the ones we have to fight the hardest for, that is for sure. Thanks again!

Thanks for sharing your sotry. I think that for any of us who have been through it and been successful, we need to share those stories and the honest truth about how we are. I have lost 105 lbs in 8 months and it is work! Keep it up and good luck on the last 25

Wonderful, inspiring story. Thanks so much for sharing. You look great! It is also great to see you made a new friend while traveling this journey.

{I'm sorry to post this as a reply, but the system won't let me start a new thread successfully.}

Have you commemorated your weight loss by running the Paris Marathon or climbing a mountain? Or are you rewarding yourself with a dream vacation? Or maybe you've become an adrenaline junkie after surgery, skydiving or bunjee jumping all over the world?

I'm researching a magazine article for travelgirl magazine about WLS, especially Lap-Band, a subject near and dear to me since I was recently banded. The overall story will be about women working to make their dreams come true and how WLS has made some of those dreams even more accessible.

It's possible that I may want to interview you for my article, whether you're in process or have already achieved your goal.

Please direct me if there's a better place for me to find people on this forum. It's been awhile since I've visited.

Cheers,

Leslie (aka travelchick)