Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from San Diego!

Hi!

Just introducing myself:) I'm very interested in getting the lap-band here in San Diego at the UCSD clinic. I go for my initial consultation in 1 1/2 weeks where i do the psych eval/nutrition..My insurance will cover my procedure 100% but needs documentation of 6 mos. exercise and nutrition program. I am wondering if being seen by an endocrinologist about my weight and having been consistently working out with a trainer for 8 months now will help me qualify for the insurance.

But anyway, its still not set in stone when I will be having this done, but I wanted to say hi:)

Hi, there. I'm having the procedure done at UCSD on the 21st. My insurance required 6 months too. When Dr. Horgan's office told me that, they asked if I had recent proof of 6 months that they could submit. Since I did not we started the 6 month process. So they should be able to at least try it but it will ultimately be up to the insurance co. Let me tell you about my first experience there as I was frustrated and turned off by the experience right away. They only do initial consults on Wednesday's so they are super busy. Psych will come in and ask a bunch of questions. When I went, there were two docs, one female, one male. (The male was a jerk.) Then they leave, you wait a few minutes and someone else will come in and ask the same questions. This will repeat about 4-5 times. I did not meet with the Dr. at all. I thought I would have, but he never came in. Then they all get together and decided if they want to submit your insurance right away or not. For me, they decided not. They wanted me to come back after a month with a weight loss of 7-10 pounds. If I lost the weight, then they would submit the insurance. In total I was there for a few hours. I didn't expect any of that so I was annoyed and felt like "F" this. But, I continued going and it was a pleasurable experience, they submitted my insurance, my insurance wanted the 6 months so we started. At the time I thought "this is stupid, 6 months is forever away and I don't need this". I think that was me talking myself out of it because I fear change. As much as I want to be fit and in shape, I even fear this change. I am soooooooooo happy that I stuck to it, and before I knew it, the time passed and my surgery is scheduled and I couldn't be happier! I am telling you my experience not to turn you off to it, but to inform you so you don't go in with unrealistic expectations like I did. I hope you have a great experience and I hope you take the time to make the right decision for yourself. If you choose to do this, Dr. Horgan is one of the best in the area to perform the surgery!

thanks so much for telling me that! It's good to know what i'm getting into. I'm actually suprised your initial was like that. At the seminar they all seemed so sweet. I'm a little nervous for it, because i get anxious in situations where i feel like i'm being grilled.

So are you now on the liquid diet? how is that going? Good luck for your surgery as its only days away! how exciting! Did UCSD make you do an upper GI? Any other tests you had to go through? May I ask what insurance company you use? Mine is Ameriben/IEC group and UCSD isn't really familiar with it, but apparently from how i've been using it, its been really really amazing.

Way to go for sticking with it for the 6 month program. I will definitely be discouraged if i have to wait another 6 months as I have my wedding in exactly a year. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Hi,

I'm the same way, which is why I was so discouraged after my initial. I thought they were so nice at the seminar too, and they are, they are just super busy on Wednesday's so they are in and out.

I am on the liquid diet, I was instructed to do 3 weeks of it. It's been tough but I just stick to it. At night when I really struggle I do some sit ups and go to bed and I'm fine. Some days are easier than others but I have great support around me and that helps!

The tests I had to do were a barium swallow and they x-ray the esophagus and upper stomach. (I don't know if the technical name is upper GI) I also had to do something where they put a tube down your nose into your stomach so they can make sure that works properly. It was uncomfortable but only lasted about 15 minutes. Then blood work and an EKG. Tests that were worth it to me.

Hopefully your insurance will accept the doctor visits you already have.

My insurance is Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Minnesota. From what they tell me its pretty good too.

Good luck and congrats on your wedding!

Good luck with the process - I went for the initial consult in mid-September. I did not find it that bad as I was able to see everyone in one visit. I just brought a good book and anticipated a wait (after 20 years in the army, I am pretty good at waiting). Keeping in mind it is a teaching hospital, I got to participate in a short research project for one of the grad students. (I don't think she realized how bad I am at video games, but I gave it a try.) One doctor I contacted told me my insurance needed a psych consult, which I would have had to do on my own, so having all of it done in one visit was nice.

I got the "lose 5 pounds and come back" order. Which is a bit frustrating as my paperwork was submitted to my insurance company that same week and was approved in 2 days. So, here I am, a month later, and still not a clue as to when surgery can be scheduled. I do go in Monday, so if the 5 lbs is gone, hopefully I can get at least an idea of a timeframe. One thing they kind of don't tell you directly is that you can't even discuss scheduling until you lose the 5 (or 7, 10, or whatever). Had I known that 2 weeks ago, I would have moved up the appointment.

Although I can understand why, seeing as I just got the insurance statement and seeing what they paid, I suspect insurance patients are somewhat low on the scheduling/priority list. I have seen a few postings on the site from people who went for their consult well after me, yet already have surgery dates.

Hello everyone,

I too am a Dr. Horgan's patient. I'm so sorry you guys have had a hard time between the insurance and the Dr's Office.

My journey was too easy, I still can't beleive it.

My initial consultation was on Aug-27-08, I arrived just on time and was expecting to waiting a good 20 min. before I was even called, to my surprise they walked me straight in. and YES the consulation seems to take FOREVER, I was fortunate enough to speak to Dr. Horgan and actually have a conversation with him, he is wonderfull, strict but very inspirational.

I was not a case of lose before we can proceed. Mary the nurse practioner, informed me they would immediately submit for approval to my insurance, Athem/BlueCross of California. I was approved within a week. and my surgery was originally scheduled for 3 weeks, I had a rough 1st week with all the test, including a sleep study, barium swallow, and pre-op testing. Then I informed my boss, but she needed to go to China and asked me to postpone my surgery, with Dr. Horgan being on Vacation the closest date was 10-29-08. so here I am 9 days away from surgey, 6 days on the liquid diet, I'm doing pretty good, it's not as hard as I thought it would be, I really don't crave all the carbs at this point.

I hope you have the same experience as me. GOOD LUCK,

PS. Catherine their admin assistant ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, she will help you at any time, and Natalie too. I email them all the time, and they always been very happy to help.

Christina:thumbup:

weight.png

Edited by chrisfer1

I forgot to mention I was an existing UCSD patient, so I did not have to provide 6 months of trying.

Afterall everytime I went to the Dr. I never stopped, telling him I was extremely worried about my obesity and scared of diabetes.

As like almost everyone else, I tried everything, yes I did lose a few lbs here and a few lbs there, but it all came back with extra.