Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Healthy and Maintaining for 2 years and 3 months

If I would have known about this procedure and the life I could have had when it first hit the states I would have done it then. I realize though in my time, in my forty plus years how much I respect life, health, and the food I eat to live.

I know it wasn't just the band that did it though. If I didn't change my lifestyle and the food choices that I made I still would have been in the same unhealthy state but only eating less of it.

The band and I are a team. I helped it along. I didn't wait for it to tell me what to do. I told the band what to do for me. Lapband doctors don't really tell you what to do as far as the eating because they don't want you to be discouraged and vote against having the procedure.

It is so important for us to finally realize in our life what we are doing incorrectly in our lifestyle choices and our food choices. It isn't easy at first but then once you begin to see the results of your good choices you couldn't have asked for anything better.

I have been obese all my life and addicted to Fast Food most of that life too. I am proud to say I haven't eaten fried food since Nov., 2005. I quit smoking Dec., 2006 and have been physically fit starting Jan., 2007. I crave healthy food, fresh air and exercise. Who would have known. I just know how all of that makes me feel.

I am still terrified of looking in the mirror, taking photos, or even believing I am who I am. I am so angry at myself that it took me almost half my life to discover life. How could I have disrespected my life so much?

The tables are turning though and my success today is..........................

Finally being able to maintain a healthy lifestyle and loving that part of it. Now I need to work on loving myself.

Josephine

Surgery Date 11-10-05

Starting Weight - 251

Ending Weight - 144

No Fills in the process

Hi Josephine,

Your story is so encouraging. Good for you!

My surgery is scheduled for the 28th of this month and I'm very nervous and yet so hopeful. I told my husband that my goal is to have NO (or a maximum of one) fill and to be able to accept the accompaning hunger as a "normal" response and teach myself to work around it -- hopefully learning to "partner" with the band in the process just as you have. My only regret is the fact that I'm doing this at such a "mature" age compared to you and your youth:smile2:.

My children are very concerned for me and would just as soon I not have the procedure. They say "Mom, what's wrong with you? You're fine just as you are. There are so many complications that can arise from the procedure!" I'm determined to change their minds by, hopefully, being able to do what you have done. Thanks again for your story -- Every best wish for continued future success!

I agree! Your story is inspiring!

Someone who used their band as a tool and "partnered" with it! I am expecting so very little from my band. It is going to be all me and the choices I make from here on out.

YOU LOOK AMAZING! You are so beautiful.

I only hope to be as successful as you are.

Thank you two very much. I try very hard to be helpful on this website and alot of times I am overlooked because I am a very different case. I was even told that the band only works with a fill and in my case it isn't true.There are plenty of people who had the band at work and it hasn't worked for them the same it did me. No one should ever compare themselves to others because a disappointment can send them where they don't ever want to go again.

I was terrified of getting a fill. I was terrified of throwing up also. I heard of so many people not being able to eat certain things once they got a fill and that is what truly bothered me. I am able to eat everything that I choose to eat. I just never have eaten soft bread and I am fine with that.

I don't ever want to go backwards like I have my whole life and I believe I have finally beaten the past. If not, at least I know I CAN STILL GO TO THE DOCTOR TO GET AN ADJUSTMENT.

I am here to help anyone who wants it.

Josephine