Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

nurvous... i guess- so many rules....

hi all!!!

i am looking into the band and by-pass- i still cant decide. i am going to the wish center. i just had my first apointment last week. i have a few questions and i was hopping some of you can help!

1<SUP>st</SUP> off, as far as the band goes, I am somewhat uneasy about having a foreign object implanted in me (I guess having my stomach cut in to pieces and my intestines rerouted is pretty scary too) - is it weird? Do you even know its there?

ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

The Dr. said I would probably have to get it adjusted 4-7 times b4 it starts working properly- this includes getting stuck with a needle several times- is it as bad as it sounds?

<O:p></O:p>

I am 27 y/o and weigh 381lbs and the Dr, said I would probably only lose 50-65% of my excess weight with the band and if I go with the by-pass I would lose aprox 75-85%- this is one reason I am leaning towards away from the band- have some of you found that this % is true? If a rigorous exercise and nutrition programs are used can this % be raised?

The changes- man, I did not realize how much I would have to change- the # of time you eat a day, the exercise regiment, the amount and when you can drink liquids, and so much more. I guess I kind-of think that if I could have done all these changes now, I wouldn’t need the surgery (he he he) after the appointment, I walked out with a book’s worth of papers describing the changes and goals. My question is- is there as much lifestyle change as it seems? For instance- I drink 5 sodas a-day now; they have told me I will never get to drink soda again. This seems imposable now, is this true? Can I have some feedback about all the changes that are required of me?

Hi! Welcome to LBT. You have a lot of good questions and so this really points out how important it is to do a LOT of research before going down this road.

There are a LOT of differences between the band and gastric bypass and it's important to understand those differences so you can make an informed choice.

Does your doctor have a support group? Mine does and I found a lot of great information by talking to folks who had already had the procedure done.

I'll answer a couple of your questions to the best I can.

as far as the band goes, I am somewhat uneasy about having a foreign object implanted in me (I guess having my stomach cut in to pieces and my intestines rerouted is pretty scary too) - is it weird? Do you even know its there?[/size][/font]

Well, the band is made of solid silicone and that is a very inert object. There is silicone naturally occuring in your body. That being said, yes, it's a foreign object. I can tell the band is there because of the restriction I feel when I swallow. I can also feel the port under the skin on my middle tummy. But the foreign object part didn't bother me personally. People have pacemakers, plastic hip joints and knees so I figured this wasn't so bad.

Also, bear in mind with gastric by pass, you'll have hundreds of titanium staples inside of you, so you'll still have a foreign object in your body, tho not as large as the band.

The Dr. said I would probably have to get it adjusted 4-7 times b4 it starts working properly- this includes getting stuck with a needle several times- is it as bad as it sounds?

Well...I haven't had my first fill yet....however, while in the hospital I got a shot of anti inflamatory meds into my tummy. I was told that size needle was similar to the one they'll use in my port. It's a very thin needle. Yeah, you'll feel it but it's not bad. Some doctors put some numbing cream on the spot. Overall, it's a much smaller needle than probably other injections you've gotten. It's really mind over matter I think. If you are scared of needles then the band may not be right for you.

Again, good to do the research up front.

I am 27 y/o and weigh 381lbs and the Dr, said I would probably only lose 50-65% of my excess weight with the band and if I go with the by-pass I would lose aprox 75-85%- this is one reason I am leaning towards away from the band- have some of you found that this % is true? If a rigorous exercise and nutrition programs are used can this % be raised?

Yes, this is true. Remember that number is an average. Many people lose all the weight they need with the band. It DOES take work. The band does not do all the work, it's simply a tool to help. You will stil have to eat right and exercise. You'd have to do this with any weight loss plan. Nothing comes easy. With hard work and extreme determination and MAJOR lifestyle changes you can lose all your excess weight.....just takes work.

My question is- is there as much lifestyle change as it seems?

Yes. It is a HUGE lifestyle change and not to be undertaken lightly. You have to be ready to make some serious changes. This is a HUGE decision.

For instance- I drink 5 sodas a-day now; they have told me I will never get to drink soda again. This seems imposable now, is this true?

With all due respect.....sodas are empty sugar calories and they aren't serving you well now. They are part of the problem and yeah....getting to where you want to go in terms of your weight would, in fact, involve letting sodas go.

No sodas on either gastric bypass or the band. The carbonation is too hard on the stomach pouch.

You have to ask yourself..if the sodas are too important to you and you can't give them up....then either the band or bypass aren't the right road for you. It's a legitimate choice and not one to be undertaken lightly.

Can I have some feedback about all the changes that are required of me?

Lots. Will have to change how you eat, how fast you eat, what you eat. Will have to come face to face with your food demons. Will have to understand that how you eat now is not serving you and be ready to make a VERY HUGE change.

You still have a lot of research to do and I wish you the best of luck in your journey!!

I was pretty freaked out by the thought of having something ... weird and foreign in me. I got over it :D

I think the only hard and fast "rule" for the band is CHEW BABY, CHEW.

Some people can tolerate carbination, some cannot. Some continue to drink soda, some have given it up and have never looked back. I've given up sodas 99.9%, although when I make the treck to ID, I will drink Red Bull. (but no Vodka when I'm making the trek...)

I know my band is there when I don't chew something well enough, or eat something that is too dry. And I can always feel my port. Some people have to make major changes in the foods they can tolerate, others don't have to make a large change at all. Each bandster is different. My husband was banded almost 2 years ago, and his experience with food is different than mine.

Yup, you might have to have that many fills, or you may have to have a dozen or a score over the course of your lifetime. I got the band for life, so I expect that I will probably need to have tweeks when I'm 70, 80 or even into my 90's. (We live a long time.) Of course, with the band, I have a much better chance to make it to my 95th birthday than I would if I was 300 pounds. At the rate I was going, I probably wouldn't have made it to my 80th birthday. the Band is NOT a quick fix thing.

One thing to understand about the percentage of weight you will lose. Because you are a big fat boy or girl, and are walking around (presumably) and being somewhat active, your bone density is probably amazing, and you will also have a higher muscle mass, simply because you have to have great musculature in your legs to move your mass about the planet. (I'm currently a big fat girl :D ) With the bypass, there is the very real possibility that you will lose muscle mass due to malnutrishion. Bandsters don't have that issue. Do not listen to the scale, it lies anyway.

I will never, ever weigh 125 pounds, which is the "normal" or "desired" weight for a woman who is 5'5". Besides, I would look terrible at that weight--I actually have a very athletic build, under all my fat, and I'm quite strong for a middle aged mom.

One thing to understand is that with the bypass you will loose weight very quickly, but you only have a limited time frame in which to lose your weight. The folks that get the band lose very slowly, maybe "only" a pound a week, maybe slower. Some folks loose a bit faster, in the 2 or 3 pounds a week range. After the first year, it is true that we hae only lost a much smaller portion that bypass patients, but in my opionion, there is not enough statistical information available to say who has a better long term success rate. WLS has not been a popular or viable solution for more than a few years, so to say who has better results is simply not available.

So why did I choose the Band and not one of the many bypass solutions? My DH has had great inital success with his band. He's lost so close to 200 pounds, but he's healthy. Also, if something goes wrong with the band, it is 100% fully reversable, and no one has played plummer with my guts.

Good luck on your jouney. Only you can decide which is the right WLS for you. Not your mother, not your surgeon, no someone on the internet. Welcome to LBT, no matter what you decide.

Firstly, in regards to the WISH center, make sure they are VERY experienced and know the difference between the aftercare for RNY and Banding (very different). Most of the WISH centers are quite new to banding and we've seen some aftercare problems because they haven't differentiated between the 2 procedures in terms of instructions.

Foreign object...the RNY puts hundreds of metal staples into your body...they are foreign as well. If you needed a hip replacement, would an artificial hip piece weird you out? What about if you needed a pacemaker for your heart? I can feel around for my port, but no, I can't "feel" my band unless I eat wrong LOL

At least your doc is telling you you're not likely to get properly adjusted first time round...the typical range is 3-5 fills. Mine take 1 stick (don't even need any numbing) and done. But my surgeon is very experienced with fills and I have zero fear of needles (my mom is a Type I diabetic, so I grew up with needles being very normal and not scary). They can numb the area out first, and it's up to you as the patient to limit the number of attempts if they don't hit the port first try...I recommend the "3 strikes" rule...if the fillgiver can't hit the port in 3 tries, that's it...make an appointment for having a fill done under flouro.

Your doc is also quoting out of date stats...studies show that 2-3 years out, bandsters and RNYers lose about the same % of excess weight. It's just a slower losing curve with the band. There are many bandsters who've lost 80%+ of their excess weight and yes, it's pretty much up to you. Proper, experienced aftercare is key, plus commitment by the patient.

All WLS require a complete lifestyle/behavior change...permanently. Any long-term weight loss does. WLS just gives us additional tool to assist in making those changes. Your body would be healthier with less soda and more Water, for example. Surgery won't do it for us but does make it easier by addressing some of the issues that make some of the changes too hard to manage long term (such as managing Portion Control and hunger/satiety issues, which is specifically what the band addresses.

Nancy

394/270/180

hi all!!!

i am looking into the band and by-pass- i still cant decide. i am going to the wish center. i just had my first apointment last week. i have a few questions and i was hopping some of you can help!

1<SUP>st</SUP> off, as far as the band goes, I am somewhat uneasy about having a foreign object implanted in me (I guess having my stomach cut in to pieces and my intestines rerouted is pretty scary too) - is it weird? Do you even know its there?

ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

The changes- man, I did not realize how much I would have to change- the # of time you eat a day, the exercise regiment, the amount and when you can drink liquids, and so much more. I guess I kind-of think that if I could have done all these changes now, I wouldn’t need the surgery (he he he) after the appointment, I walked out with a book’s worth of papers describing the changes and goals. My question is- is there as much lifestyle change as it seems? For instance- I drink 5 sodas a-day now; they have told me I will never get to drink soda again. This seems imposable now, is this true? Can I have some feedback about all the changes that are required of me?