Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me I am not the only person out here that is having a horrible time with quitting smoking!!!....I have just reordered Chantix and pray that it works.

My doctor said I had to quit or terrible things could happen with my lap band but she didn't say what they were. Does anyone know?

I know the health risks of smoking and that I need to quit. After 40 years of smoking it is not easy. :)

My husband and I quit 3.5 years ago. It was hard. Hubby used a Nicitrol Inhailer. I went cold turkey just puffin on his inhailer if I was desperate. After 2 or 3 weeks the worst was over. We learned during several failed attempts that weining yourself off doesn't work. It is all or nothing. We chose nothing. :)

Hi there...I used Chantix and quit before surgery. It really does work and it's the best thing I've ever done (and ofcoarse getting banded)!! You can do it! :)

I was not required to quit and I didn't have any real plans to quit right away. But I was very fortunate in that the surgery actually helped me to quit smoking. With the combined Lap Band surgery and Hiatal Hernia repair, I had difficulty breathing for several days after the surgery. I couldn't even walk across the room without getting breathless. After four days of not being able to...not even wanting to smoke, I decided that I would be a fool to backslide at that point. I had never even gone one day without smoking before this. It takes 3-5 days to get the nicotene out of your system then at that point the chemical addiction is gone. Which makes it much easier to deal with the behavioral (habit) part. I was fortunate to make it through the nicotene withdrawal fairly easily but breaking the habit part was difficult. I had to change my routine a bit, kept busy, got rid of any sign of cigarettes (cigarettes, ashtrays, lighters etc.), stayed away from other smokers. At work I would walk around the building during my usual cigarette break and at home I kept busy and walked when it got real tough. I had a plan on what to do instead of smoking during my trigger times (like when talking on the phone, after a meal or after finishing a chore) I kept thinking just one...just a few drags but I knew that just one would lead to another. I took it one day at a time and some days I just wanted to curl up into a ball and sob (like when an inconsiderate smoker would blow smoke in my face in public) But as my lungs cleared, my smokers cough went away and my mind got sharper it got a little easier. It took a few weeks for me to stop thinking about cigarettes every few minutes and after about a month I pretty much stopped thinking about it all together. It has been over four months now!! I am so proud of myself for sticking with it and Healthwise, I felt so much better very quickly.

I have heard that Chantix works, I have never tried it but it certainly is worth a try. I am willing to offer any support I can, I know how hard it is but it does get easier every day.

My husband and I have known for over a month that our stop smoking day was going to be 10/4/08. So, today is day #3 without a cigarette and it is so freaking hard! Our insurance wont prescribe chantix until we can prove that taking wellbutrin and the patch together don't work. We don't want to get to that point, we both want to quit now and are putting in an honest effort for the first time.

We made it through the weekend. It was very hard, but got through it. This morning, got up before everyone else as always, started my normal routine (except the smoking part of it of course) and about halfway through, I broke down. I mean I was seriously sobbing because I wanted to smoke so bad. I hate that smoking has this much control over me. It's like I've lost my closest friend. It has always been there when I needed it in good, bad and stressful times. My husband is having a pretty hard time as well. Thankfully we have not turned on each other like I thought we would.

And I swear that this patch the pharmacy gave us is fake! I've used Patches before and I could feel the nicotine hit your blood stream. I can't feel anything with this one! I'm probably better off anyway.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I just wanted you to know that I totally understand how hard it is. And just because I'm whining and crying (literally) like a baby about this, I'm not giving up. I'm not doing this just because I have to for the band, I'm doing it for my husband, my kids, and my health!

You can do it too. If I can do anything to help, just let me know. Good Luck!

hello,

well, i am on day 6 of no smoking! and yes its hard

i went to the consultation with the lapband doc on the 29th - he doesn't think i am going to quit. so now im determined to show him!

but he also put me on this diet that of course i have blown the last few days. i get really pissy :) when i want a cigarette so of course i eat!:eek: i'm not going to be to hard on myself, i know its not easy to stop eating and smoking at the same time. its a lot to deal with all at once. and no support doesn't help. and thank god he only wants me to loose 8lbs before the surgery. and i have this six months medically supervised diet to get it done in! 6 months seems like such a long ways away. but i'm sure i'll learn how to eat better and its only for the best.

i have decided to buy myself an eletric quitar and learn how to play! i figure keeping my hands busy will help with a lot of this stuff.

so hang in there! i'm right here with ya! and i'm doin it cold turkey too!

susan :thumbup:

My girlfriend was banded and never did stop smoking. She hasn't had anything adverse happen yet. Not that I'm telling you to keep smoking. Just providing you an honest answer.

I remember in some of the literature that I received during my doctor's WLS that it stated we had to stop smoking before surgery - at least a a month. Something to do with an increase risk of adverse effects during surgery. I reserached it online but there wasn't any definitive answer as to whether it decreases your risk if you quite a week, a month or whatever before surgery. I really wasn't much of a smoker, just occasionally when I drink so I haven't had a problem with quitting but I don't think I won't ever smoke again. Good luck to you guys...my surgery is scheduled for 10/13.

How's everyone doing with smoking?? My surgery is 2/18/09 and for better or worse, my surgeon doesn't require patients to quit - although it's obviously not advised. I've smoked everday for 7 years and I'm terrified to try and quit. We all know how bad it is - but I love it - well I love it and hate it. Part of getting the band is to be "free" from food - and I need to be free from smoking also. I know I NEED to stop - but I'm scared.

I used Zyban to quit-- Chantix wasn't out yet. And I haven't had a cigarette in more than 3 years. I was smoking almost 2 packs a day. I used nicotine gum and lozenges to help with the nicotine cravings the first couple weeks. I cannot even STAND smoking now. My fiance still smokes and the only thing that bothers me is the smell. It really stinks. About a year ago I was craving one and tried it. BLECH. I almost puked. Crazy.

i am having trouble quiting too. I was going to give it up for new years because i knew that I was getting banded. Now that I am banded, I knew that I needed to quit. it is hard for me, but I know that it is something that needs to be done. I only have 2 days not smoking. Hang in there. We can do it together

I never did quit before surgery either. I should have because my lungs were quite congested right after surgery, and smoking also impeeds healing. I did try chantix way before my band, and it does work. I just let stress and life get to me and started again. It works by curbing your cravings for a cigarette, and if you do slip you don't get that high of "ahh, a cigarette" that you feel now. The only thing was that it made my stomach very queezy. I would have to go lay down and let it pass. I have a whole month still at home and was considering trying again, but I'm worried how it will make me feel now that I have a band. This pill is teeny tiny, so I'm not worried about it getting stuck. I was considering trying the gum, but I seem to remember no gum chewing in my band literature. Does anyone know if this is only right after banding or forever? Good luck to you on quitting!!!

I still have not completely quit. I have cut back a great deal. It is the only thing I lie about to my doctor. I am still on Chantix. I have had 3 fills. 5cc-2cc=1/2 cc. The doctor said if I didn't completely quit her would give me no further fills. :tongue: I have lost every month 57 lbs since Sept. 4th. I would dearly love to stop the smoking completely.

I was banded Oct. 7th 2008. As part of the agreement that patients sign with the bariatric surgery group we agree to quit smoking. They can and will test you for nicotine and if they find it they will cancel surgery or fills. I quit February 2008 using Chantix for about 2 weeks and have never looked back. I smoked heavily for 25+ years, so if I can do it, anyone can.

Maybe this will be an incentive for those of you struggling: I watched my beautiful mother suffer from COPD and Emphezema for 20 years until she slowly suffocated to death. I was still smoking when she died almost 3 years ago. Then when I decided to get the lap band and it was a requirement, it was like a sign from my Mom. I was beginning to sound like her, with the coughing, breathlessness and choking on my food. So I had a double reason to quit.

I feel so much better, believe me you won't believe how much better it is to breathe, and you will smell so much better!! :(