Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is creamed corn ok 2 wks out?

I know my question has probably been asked on here before, but I am new (surgery Sept 22) and I am hungry. I actually have tons of questions and am thoroughly annoyed at my surgeons office for their lack of getting back to me with answers. They eagerly took my money (self-pay) beforehand but their interest in my welfare has definitely waned since surgery. I am in the pureed stage for 1 week and am tired of mashed potatoes and fat free refried Beans. I cannot stomach even the thought of pureed meat much less the actual taste and am in dire need of some suggestions on what to eat during this stage. Thanks so much!

I know my question has probably been asked on here before, but I am new (surgery Sept 22) and I am hungry. I actually have tons of questions and am thoroughly annoyed at my surgeons office for their lack of getting back to me with answers. They eagerly took my money (self-pay) beforehand but their interest in my welfare has definitely waned since surgery. I am in the pureed stage for 1 week and am tired of mashed potatoes and fat free refried Beans. I cannot stomach even the thought of pureed meat much less the actual taste and am in dire need of some suggestions on what to eat during this stage. Thanks so much!

Did your docs office give you a list of suggestions for each stage ?

each doc has a different idea of what is ok . Its best to ask them .

Email me if you want i can give you some more suggestions that might help ?

Mindy

Hi Tex

I wouldn't try corn yet. Even creamed. The skins are hard to digest for some. At the mushies stage I put Campbells Bean With Bacon Soup in a blender. It was awsome! I still have it after I've had a fill. There are alot of sugestions on here about foods to eat in the different stages. That's where I got the soup idea. Drs. diet guidelines are as varried as are each persons reactions to certain foods. The advice that stuck with me the most was that for at least one month, your stomach needs to do the minimum amount of work in digusting it's food. It will heal much better, and faster if you are gentle with it. So I hope that will help you in deciding what the best food choices are in the beginning. And I know what you mean about feeling left out in the rain by your medical staff. I came here for all my advice. They have the best help I've seen anywhere. Good luck to you in your journey.

Debbie

Corn is a really tough food for a lot of bandsters. I am over two years out and still cannot eat corn, creamed or otherwise. Have you checked out this thread:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f82/mushies-stage-recipes-17637/

There are a lot of excellent suggestions there that you may like to try.

Personally, I don't have a problem with corn, but then again, I'm almost four years out. Corn is NOT something I would have eaten during the first month. Have you ever noticed a few days later it's still pretty much in the same form it went in. Not a good choice in my opinion.

Mary the link Susan gave is the link i was telling you about last night ( I just emailed it to you too ) it has some really good ideas in it.

You can do the last few weeks of the post op diet you will do great !

hang in there !

Mindy

I agree with the rest of the answers and don't do corn I am 1month out and don't dare do corn or soda. But I wanted to address is you not feeling your getting the care from your Dr office you need to call them if you have questions. That is what they are there for and if that is their job to make sure your taken care of. If you don't feel you are getting the results/answers you want ask to have your Dr call you back directly. You may have to wait a tad longer to get a call back from the Dr but when you do ask your questions and then explain to him/her that you tried to get your answer resolved by his/her staff and how you felt. Trust me no Dr wants any unhappy patient and maybe he/she needs to address this with his/her staff. I am sure if you feel this way there are probably other people out ther who feel the same way also. But before you ask for the Dr make sure you do give the staff a fair chance to take care of you. I have a friend after she got the lap band done called the Dr office every other day and sometimes 3 times in a day and they always answer every single question and never made her feel ashamed of calling. You paid your money now you deserve the service and respect! Also, if they have support group GO you will get a lot of your questions answer there as well as on this site as well. Wishing you the best.... Theresa WA

Something that my doctor has is a bariatric coordinator nurse - and I think that helps - does your doctor have a person such as that? People can call her or email her - I have found that email is always quicker for a response than a phone call. Check and see if you dr has a person like this and then get an email and try it that way.

I don't think I'd chance corn. I was banded on Sept 15 and am still in the pureed stage and I was the same as u I thought there is NO WAY I can eat purred meat, but just to let u know I have been putting chicken and tuna salad in the food processor and it tastes like heaven. I spread it on saltine crackers which I make sure to chew really well till mushy lol. I also blended some chili and melted some cheese in it that was very good. I did puree a chicken breast this weekend and put it on mashed potatoes and topped w/ low fat gravy it was very tasty. Just some ideas hope they help. I know this stage is not much fun. Goodluck :)

Careful w/ Crackers, some docs say they are ok but they can gum up and get stuck . But the chili and cheese is AWESOME i lived on taht stuff. !

Corn is not an issue for me, but I stay away from it being its so high in sugar! Now being two weeks out I would not worry much about sugar you are in the healing stage. I was a big fan of Grits at 2 weeks, tons of carbs but like I said it more of a healing stage then a losing weight stage. Try some canned turkey chili with no beens so so good tasting and I just blended it a bit and it was not a problem.

I went on the site about mushie foods and looked at the recipe for shephard's pie and there were many replies to be cautious about ground meat. What if after cooking it with the onions you put it in the food processor to make it more pureed and then continue with the recipe - would that help? Has anyone tried that?

I went on the site about mushie foods and looked at the recipe for shephard's pie and there were many replies to be cautious about ground meat. What if after cooking it with the onions you put it in the food processor to make it more pureed and then continue with the recipe - would that help? Has anyone tried that?

i still think ground beef is one of those things that you need to ask your doc if you can have or not . Its a go either way thing, i think if you puree it its better but i would still check w/ the doc !