Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Swelling& Reflux with Fill. Advice Needed

Hi all,

Good news: After 2 years, I finally hit my "sweet spot" on my third fill. However it's not without it's issues and I'd like your thoughts if you would. I'd really appreciate the voices of experience.

On the day of my third fill I was fine. However, the next day I could not even swallow my own saliva and had to go back to get some removed. I felt pretty wide open until a week ago and that fill kicked in!

I actually am satisfied with 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food and am not hungry all day long like before. OH MY GOSH!! :tt2: What a great feeling. This is what all of you who lose weight with the band feel and I finally arrived there!

The bad news: I have a cranky stomach and it's swelling and irritated. I am also having reflux problems and feel irritation in the band area. I had IBS and GERD wayyyy before the band, so my stomach not liking the tightening of the fills is not a surprise, but my GERD medicine is not taking care of the reflux. I had a very sore throat for a couple of days, I went on liquids for a few days and it seemed to help with both the stomach and the throat. It's getting better everyday but the irritation and such is still present.

So, my question is,

will my stomach calm down and get used to this?

Am I too tight?

Should I wait it out or do I get an unfill and never get to this sweet spot and lose weight?

Edited by leenerbups

Hi all,

Good news: After 2 years, I finally hit my "sweet spot" on my third fill. However it's not without it's issues and I'd like your thoughts if you would. I'd really appreciate the voices of experience.

On the day of my third fill I was fine. However, the next day I could not even swallow my own saliva and had to go back to get some removed. I felt pretty wide open until a week ago and that fill kicked in!

I actually am satisfied with 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food and am not hungry all day long like before. OH MY GOSH!! :) What a great feeling. This is what all of you who lose weight with the band feel and I finally arrived there!

The bad news: I have a cranky stomach and it's swelling and irritated. I am also having reflux problems and feel irritation in the band area. I had IBS and GERD wayyyy before the band, so my stomach not liking the tightening of the fills is not a surprise, but my GERD medicine is not taking care of the reflux. I had a very sore throat for a couple of days, I went on liquids for a few days and it seemed to help with both the stomach and the throat. It's getting better everyday but the irritation and such is still present.

So, my question is,

will my stomach calm down and get used to this?

Am I too tight?

Should I wait it out or do I get an unfill and never get to this sweet spot and lose weight?

You may need another slight unfill, What i consider my sweet spot and what others consider I think might be 2 different things. BUT what i consider is when I have decent restriction can eat solid Proteins comfortably and I am losing weight. HOWEVER that Sweet sport goes away as you lose weight. So just becasue you have not gotten there yet does NOT MEAN you cant get it back. Also you have had your band for 2 yrs and only had 3 fills ?

Now as if your too tight or not ? the best thing to do is call your doc , I have ALWAYS found ( and I have issues too , I am VERY sensitive to fills i have had more unfills than fills ) that if I THINK Im too tight i probably am .

BUT Slight unfills are not necessarily going to make you lose total restriction. So i would discuss it w/ your doc.

Mindy

Thanks for that advice.

My insurance abandoned me when they decided a month after my surgery they would not cover fills out of the surgeon's hospital and I was not offered a discount by the surgeon, so at over $600 they charged I was pretty much dead in the Water with my band.

WOW they want to charge $600 a FILL ? Holy Crap !

Where do you live ? I dont blame ya then. I was just wondering about that .

At the very least i would call and talk to your doc . W/ the GERD it might be something that is caused by that if your on meds your meds might need to be adjusted a bit , if your on meds then maybe you can start to get on it for the GERD. I would start by talking to your doc. Have yo spoken to them about a cheaper fill ? My doc doesnt even charge that much for patients he see's that were banded in mexico .

that's ridiculous !! Good luck let me know if you need anything .

Mindy

Thanks! Yes, it is ridiculous price isn't it? $400 for the docs and then the hospital fees. I live in NJ.

Well, every day it's getting better. I've always taken a Pepsid everyday anyway, but now added Prevacid to the mix. I'm supposed to go today to the doc but wondering if I should drive the 200 miles if it's all calming down.

I did call the doc and got the nurse instead, who really isn't the mostsupportive person, IMHO. Sounds like she is overworked or something because she is very impatient on the phone. She said "We can't keep filling and unfilling you". I never had this happen before and so was pretty ticked off at her response.

Thanks! Yes, it is ridiculous price isn't it? $400 for the docs and then the hospital fees. I live in NJ.

Well, every day it's getting better. I've always taken a Pepsid everyday anyway, but now added Prevacid to the mix. I'm supposed to go today to the doc but wondering if I should drive the 200 miles if it's all calming down.

I did call the doc and got the nurse instead, who really isn't the mostsupportive person, IMHO. Sounds like she is overworked or something because she is very impatient on the phone. She said "We can't keep filling and unfilling you". I never had this happen before and so was pretty ticked off at her response.

First off i would drive the 200 miles and be seen .

Second off i would tell the doc what the Nurse said ! taht's BS

My response to her would have been YES YOU CAN THAT IS YOUR JOB !!!!

I would call ask if there is an office manager and let her know what is going on and how you are being treated as well !!! I dont care if she's over worked or not !

Mindy