Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Exercise Challenge

Guest Leslie2Lose

Glou- The trainer at the gym told me to do weights first, then cardio. BUT- I was wasted by the time I made it to the cardio machines. I changed it myself and now I do the cardio first. I do so much better this way. I get more out of both. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but for now I am just happy I'm even AT the gym! LOL

Okay gang...here are my stats:

Sat: 35" Treadmill- Variety Program- avg. spd. 3.4 mph

Sun: 10-10-10" Eliptical/Bicycle/Treadmill- variety/5" cooldown

Mon: 35" Treadmill- variety- avg. spd. 3.2 mph/ Weights also

~C

Question: Should you do Cardio first, then weight lifting, or lift then cardio?

been "told" weight lifting first - cardio second.

i think your body should dictate what you do.... before i meet up w/my trainer for a weight lifting session, i do 10 min of quick cardio (usually bike) to get warmed up. i "might" follow up our sessions w/some cardio - depending on the day...but i have kept the 2 separate. hit the weights hard one day - run/elliptical or yoga on the other days.. hard for me to include the 2 together unless i'm soft in cardio (walk) after the weights.

just ran 3.6. Well, walked/ran. It kicked my butt. I don't know why I am so tired. Probably all the icky sugary carbs I ate over the weekend, but I made myself run. Whosya went ahead of me on our Nike+ challenge. I couldn't go another day without running. If I let him get very far in front there won't be any catching up!!

WTG Renewed!! You are soooo competitive, lol! I love that about you.

Today:

warm up walk @ 3.5 mph (5 minutes)

5K run/walk~ 20 minute straight run (4.5 mph), then intervals on the rest (45 minutes)

So I have a question...

The trainer at the gym told me that I needed to do both the cardio and the weights on the same day. I would prefer not to do all of that in one day because it wipes me out. My weights are wimpy though. I only do 2 sets of 12 of each exercise.

She said that it's more important that I burn fat by doing cardio than it is to lift weights. Is that true? Would I benefit from separating the two? I think I might enjoy it more rather than dreading that much time in the gym and having to divide my energy the way I have been.

Any suggestions are welcome!

~C

I usually do my cardio and weights on the same day, mainly because I don't want to have to go to the gym everyday. I go every other day most of the time. I do have some weights, so I do occasionally seperate it.

I have to do cardio first though. If I don't, my runs won't last very long.

So I have a question...

The trainer at the gym told me that I needed to do both the cardio and the weights on the same day. I would prefer not to do all of that in one day because it wipes me out. My weights are wimpy though. I only do 2 sets of 12 of each exercise.

She said that it's more important that I burn fat by doing cardio than it is to lift weights. Is that true? Would I benefit from separating the two? I think I might enjoy it more rather than dreading that much time in the gym and having to divide my energy the way I have been.

Any suggestions are welcome!

~C

carol - i'm not sure there is a "right" answer. when i'm weight training, it's pretty intense - i do well enough to walk out to the parking lot to my car let alone hit the treadmill afterwards:tongue:. my trainer wants me on days i'm not w/him to hit the cardio hard & not worry about weights - we do enough in 2 days together.

since he changes up my routine every month - some have included a high intensity cardio the last 10mins (interval elliptical / ladder drills on the basketball court ... ) just depends on what mood he's in:rolleyes: he doesn't let my body get use to a workout fast before he changes it all up - working a different set of muscles.

not sure this helps...:redface:

So feeling guilty after missing the weekend, and only doing swimming yesterday morning I went on a brisk 35 min walk last night. (DH says I march quick step, not walk).

This morning another 35 minutes in the pool - front crawl only in sprints.

Have any of you tried the wave machine in the gym? Technogym Cardio Wave - La Nuova Era Cardio - The New Cardio Era

This is a recent addition to the equipment at the Y, and has become the 'new' rage - elliptical use is plummenting as more switch to this. (I only know this because I was eavesdropping on a training session while I was dressing at the Y). I've not yet garnered the intestinal fortitude to venture into the equipment zone and use the stuff.

Edited by tapshoes
typo

Guest Leslie2Lose

I did Zumba Class last night - it was much easier than last week although it still kicked my butt. It was so much fun though. I love when I'm done (it is almost like the 'afterglow' of running) - I feel so good! I'm definately running tonight though. I have 20/20/20 class, but I'm going to get my run in before hand. I may not be able to walk tomorrow - but it'll be a good hurt. Definately will be hitting the stretch room afterwards!

As for the weights - I really need to get back to some kind of training. I used to weight train 4x a week (in my thin good shape days - it's been 15 YEARS). I was always told to do a warm-up on the treadmill/bike (some kind of cardio) then do weights. I split my upper and lower body up. Mondays and Wednesdays I'd do Lower Body and Tuesdays and Thursdays I'd do Upper Body. This allows the muscles you work a day to recoop. That is the way the trainer told me to do it. After weights I'd do cardio. I was also told to do cardio afterwards to help work some of the muscles (loosen them up) so I wouldn't be as sore.

Now (back to present day), when I do weights (sadly, not as much as I should) I do the whole body and skip a day to rest. I think the important part is to allow your body a day to rest regardless of when and how you choose to weight train.

Mornin' Everyone!

Tough workout yesterday - primarily upper body. Went up on several poundages and I'm feelin' it today! :w00t:

On the cardio / weights question - I agree with Lulu in that there are lots of ways to handle this. I have done cardio and weights on the same day, but only if I'm not working legs that day. When I do cardio, it's usually the hill program on the treadmill or the elliptical. I push pretty hard (or as hard as I can with my slightly irregular heartbeat) and I can't give 100% to both. On a leg day - no cardio.

I have lifted heavier and not done as much cardio, and unless you are training circuit-style with minimal rest between exercises, you can 'bulk' up a little. If you don't cut the bodyfat through exercise and diet you will build muscle "on top" of the bodyfat which might make you look bulkier. I think it's temporary, though, because muscle burns more fat at rest. The more muscle you gain, the higher your resting metabolic rate will be and your body will naturally burn more calories. :redface:

Now - disclaimer - I am NOT a certified trainer, so this is just based on what I've read and heard. I used to work in a gym, so I got to talk to many of the trainers. They use a LOT of cardio on Biggest Loser, and do cardio and weights on the same day (or so it seems).

I guess some experimentation is in order to see what works for your body - be sure to write down what you are doing, track your responses and measurements, and then you'll be able to decide what your body likes best.

Thanks everyone for responding!

Lots of helpful information. I am definitely feeling a difference in my body. How I move, how I feel when I move, etc. I think for now I will stick to doing the cardio first because I just plain can't do it after the weights. I can't seem to get the intensity high enough for a decent workout. I

can see that I will need to change things up a bit in the near future, but for now I suppose I'll leave it alone. I would like to move to free weights and cables, but I feel like I can't do that until I get some more weight off me. I don't want to keep stalling my weight loss or bulk up in the wrong way.

I journal every single workout I do! It motivates me and keeps me on track. I hate journaling food, but I seem to really like journaling the exercise.

~C

In addition to yesterdays morning swim, I added another 35min brisk walk.

This morning - another front crawl sprint swimming 35 minutes.

Asking again - anyone tried the wave machine (link posted above)

Asking again - anyone tried the wave machine (link posted above)

looked at the link tap & i would LOVE one of these machines at my gym (24hrFit). really works the gluttes, which is still my problem area, .... much more so than the elliptical.

nothing today - wed, is my typical day off & i'm staring at puppies w/coffee:wink: