Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about lap band but.....

Does anyone know if they will do it for a BMI of 35? I will be a self pay. I'm in Richmond.

Thank you.

Generally a BMI below 40 is not usually approved, but since you're self pay, as long as there is a health issue, almost any health issue will work, and you're near a BMI of 40, you should be able to get approved. I was a little below 40, but was self-pay and had a thyroid condition, and I was approved.

Good Luck....it's well worth the $$$$.

pjop, I was worried about that too, and I weigh more than you. For once in my life, I tried to gain weight, but only put on a few pounds. I had my husband measure my height and I was a half inch shorter than the last time I went to the doctor. I think he measured wrong, but I didn't question it. It wasn't on purpose because I didn't tell him why I wanted a new measurement. Anyway, I like my old height better - lol, but I'm officially a half an inch shorter now.

When I went for the weigh-in at the doctor, I wore long pants in the summer for that extra edge.

I'm self-pay in Richmond too. I've never worked so hard to give somebody so much money!

Edited by kiz

I'm self-pay in Richmond too. I've never worked so hard to give somebody so much money!

LOL, Kiz. Thanks to both of you for your replies. My BP has been up in the past but w/ regular exercise it came down. I wonder if high cholesterol would count. I have not had it checked in several years but I know it's gotta be high. Well, all I can do is go and check it out.

Kiz, if I may ask, who did your surgery and how has everything gone? I have heard that Schroder is very good.

Thanks, again.

That's the office I used, but I saw Dr. Brengman. I would highly recommend either doctor. They've done hundreds of lap bands, and their office is designated as a Bariatric Center of Excellence. I appreciated the time Dr. Brengman took to answer all my questions. I never once felt rushed. I really liked his demeanor, as well.

There's a support group that meets at St. Mary's on the first Monday of the month. Dr. Shroder spoke at the last meeting I attended, and I was impressed by him too. If you can go to the support meeting, it was very helpful for me, even before I was banded.

So far, everything has gone even better than I expected. I had a quick recovery, and other than the few incisions that are healing, I would never know I had surgery less than a month ago.

Edited by kiz

Originally Posted by kiz viewpost.gif

Had to laugh, but better investment than any car you ever bought for yourself. You'll be glad you did :cool2:.

You are so right, Harley. It really helps to hear from long-term bandsters like you.

Here's a convo my dh and I had about the cost:

me-$13,500 is so much money

dh-It's worth it. It could add ten years to your life.

me-That's true, but if it cost a million dollars would you still say that?

dh-ummm, I'd have to think about it then.

At least now I know I'm worth somewhere between $13,500 and a million dollars to him. I haven't got him pinned down on that just yet. lol

Thanks, HarleyNana, for the congrats. I'm finding the band is helping me attack this weight in a healthy manner: healthy food choices, smaller portions, and exercise. It's not that I couldn't do this without the band, but not having constant hunger, while trying to lose or even maintain, is such a gift.

About the hubby, we're still negotiating my worth. lol

The best thing for you to do is go to a seminar. They all offer them and it is the first step anyway. It is a Q and A session included and very informative.

pjop, Brengman did mine and I LOVE him. I have to fight off the urge to grab him and hug the stuffing out of him every time I see him! Shroeder is also good, you really can't go wrong with either. I've had Elliott for a fill only, but he seemed nice enough.

Kiz, too funny. I love the convo with DH. Mine probably would have gone about the same if I was self-pay.

Does anyone know if they will do it for a BMI of 35? I will be a self pay. I'm in Richmond.

Thank you.

I went to Mexico to have mine done. Ofcourse it was self pay as well. In Mexico, you can be Eithiopian and they would band you. As long as you have the money, they will do anything.