Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Living Wills

I know this is a subject people try to avoid, however in the past few months we have been made aware of the necessity for having a living will.

Having my family and friends know what my wishes are is very important and I don't want anyone guessing or causing conflict. I found a web site that reasonable and easy.. the cost is $5.00 and takes less than 10 minutes to complete.you can print it upon completion... send a copy of your living will to family or whom ever you wish to know your wishes ..the site is called... LivingWillsNow.COM

my surgery is schedule for 06-28-05 and I'm trying to cross all T's and dot all I's before Tuesday.

Just thought I would share this information.

It's important to designate a person as your voice in the event you cannot speak for yourself. I have a living will and my sister is my person. She knows EXACTLY my wishes and has all final say so.

I cannot stress enough how important having a living will (also called an Advanaced Directive) is!!

Good for you for getting this taken care of!!

I was a cancer nurse for 8 years and dealt with several patients that had "Living Wills / Advanced Directives". Just as an FYI, the Living Wills are not legally binding to the medical profession. It is looked on as a "suggestion" of what the person wishes in the event they cannot make those decisions themselves. I have seen several patients with Living Wills in place only to have a doctor talk the family into going against the wishes of the person. So make sure you have someone over your Living Will that is very vocal and will advocate for you.

I am not sure if you are using the term "Living Will" as a generic term or the actual document. If you go to your local hospital you can pick up a "Power of Attorney for Health Care" document in which you can designate somebody to make you health care decisions in the event that you can no longer do so. Also somebody in the Social services department can help you to fill them out if you need help doing that and they will also serve as your witness (you need 2 not related to you). These forms are free and they (social services) are more than happy to help you get them and fill them out and will even make copies for you. If you have any specific issues about what you want or don't want done to you in the case of some catastrophic health event, then you need to make the time to get this form filled out and signed. Only you can take care of this for you.

j.s.

I work for an estate planning attorney in Michigan, and here they are called Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care, and sometimes advance directive, but other states call them other things. As somebody pointed out earlier, the point of a health care DPOA is to designate an agent who will make your medical decisions for you when you are no longer able to do so. Our documents require the signature of the agent and the signatures of two physicians to certify that the patient is unable to make his or her own medical decisions before the agent is allowed to act. As pointed out, it's very important to discuss your wishes with your agent and pick somebody you trust to carry out your wishes.