Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Salon Tipping..how much?

I actually manage a salon/spa in my area...

I think every salon differs, but I was raised on tipping EVERYONE--hair stylists, nail techs, barbers, etc....

At the salon I work at, tipping is counted as a part of their commission and is a big part of the girls who work in the salons pay checks.

That being said...

I PERSONALLY feel that each tip comes down to if the service was good and the stylist was on time, and if the client leaves happy.

Just the other day, a nail tech came in early on for her shift day to give a $65 pedicure for an hour and a half--these usually last an hour and it caused the techs next appointment to leave--all because she didn't want to be rude and send away the customer.

That customer thanked her with a $1.50 tip and even made a few remarks like "Oops, not my fault..." when the tech's next appointment left, and "I'm not a big tipper.." as she left her $1.50 tip.

Edited by fabnatsdiva

That customer thanked her with a $1.50 tip and even made a few remarks like "Oops, not my fault..." when the tech's next appointment left, and "I'm not a big tipper.." as she left her $1.50 tip.

2.3% OMG rude. I think I would be busy from now on when that person called in!!!:crying:

I think every salon differs, but I was raised on tipping EVERYONE--hair stylists, nail techs, barbers, etc....

At the salon I work at, tipping is counted as a part of their commission and is a big part of the girls who work in the salons pay checks.

That being said...

I PERSONALLY feel that each tip comes down to if the service was good and the stylist was on time, and if the client leaves happy.

Just the other day, a nail tech came in early on for her shift day to give a $65 pedicure for an hour and a half--these usually last an hour and it caused the techs next appointment to leave--all because she didn't want to be rude and send away the customer.

That's terrible!

That being said...

I think that's terrible. In this situation if I were the nail tech, I'd work something out with the salon and either have the salon agree that I no longer had to service the bad tipper OR have the salon make up the difference in tip to be at least 15%. That way the salon keeps the customer but doesn't force the nail tech to basically take a drastic pay cut in bad tips and loss of customer.

Just out of curiosity, What is the difference between a $35.00 pedicure and a $65.00 one??

a regular pedicure for me (standard) is $25 - if however i want to add a paraffin wax treatment, massage, hot towels w/hydration cream...the cost goes up; usually $55.

T.I.P.S. - To Insure Proper Service

A tip is earned wages, not expected. I worked really hard as a waitress for a long time, and I did rely on my tips to pay my bills. I feel like there are so many places/people that expect them. I try to tip well, but it depends on the service I get. I think that $2.15 an hour for wait staff is rediculous for the amount of work that goes into it.

I've never been one to do anything fancy with my hair, just get it cut. I leave between $5 - $10 as a tip - but personality plays a part. If someone just cuts my hair and say have a nice day, I consider that poor service. I could have the best hair cut of my life, but if they don't say a word to me, or smile even, I take that into consideration.

I, on the other hand, PREFER stylists, nail techs and wait staff who are quiet. When I'm getting my hair or nails done, I want it to be a quiet, relaxing time, not a gab fest. Since I rarely dine out alone, I prefer chatting with my dining partner, not the waiter. As long as they provide good service and have appropriate body language, I don't consider quiet servers a bad thing.

After I re-read that I realized I didn't explain myself enough. I like the quiet too, sometimes. But there is a difference in being quiet because they are ignoring you and just being quiet. I like it when the stylist/sever has a personality, doesn't neccessarily mean chatty kathy.:biggrin:

I always tip, usually my DH thinks too much, but being a chatty kathy is one way to decrease the amount, quickly! I am either a) enjoying the company of my companion or :) enjoying alone time. Either way, I do *not* patronize any establishment with the idea of spending quality bonding time with the staff.

For hair, I spend about $250 for a cut and color and tipped 20% when my stylist was employed by a salon. Then he opened his own shop, and I felt odd about stopping, so I kept tipping him.

Unfortunately, after five years of wonderful service, he became completely unable to see me on time. I was never late, not once, and I drove 90 minutes each way to see him, often arriving very early on Saturdays. I always had to wait, even if I was the first appointment of the day. Finally I arrived at a 1 p.m. appt and was told I had the time wrong and had missed my appt (even tho I had my appt. card). He actually told me he could not cancel on the last client of the day (at 2 pm) because she was new and had called several times to get the appt. Hello! I drove a 3 + hour round trip for years!

So I left him. It was traumatic - like leaving a boyfriend.

Now my stylist is the owner on of the salon, and I do not tip her, per Emily Post. But I hear that is changing.

i go to a full service *no tipping* Aveda salon. i LOVE the concept, the prices are a bit more - cut & color $125 & i ususally get some product. with that fee i also get a full chair massage & makeup application if i want (not a make up person, so i don't get that service).

i have been going there for about 4ys and i believe when i did tip for cut/color it was around $25 on a $100+ bill.

I go to an Aveda salon, too, but they don't include tip. :smile2: It's usually $100 for a cut and foil color. I usually leave 15-20% tip.

I've always wondered how much to tip too. I usually leave 20% but it does sometimes seem like a lot if the cut/color is expensive. I was a waitress during college, so I do tend to overtip. I feel like a few extra dollars out of my pocket can really make a difference to the person and you'd be surprised how far a good tip goes towards the way you are treated next time!:eek:

I just started getting hair extensions at a salon where the woman rents a booth. SHe charges me 1200 and the first time she did my hair she did it alone and I gave her 1250. I loved my hair

The second time she did my hair she had an assistant. I was not very happy with the way my hair was this time and could not decide how much I should leave as a tip The entire time I was there I was driving myself crazy thinking if I leave too little as a tip it is an insult and if I leave 15-20 % I am just going wayyyy to above my price range. Then I did not know if I should just tip the hairdresser or her assistant or both so I did not tip either one. I just paid her her 1200. I dont like the way she cut my hair and have some issues with the extensions. I am afraid to go back at this point and need to deal with the tip issue.

Before I started going to this hairdresser I met two girls that go to her that said she charged them 700 or 1000 but not to tell her I know what she charges them so I was shocked when she said 1200 but really wanted to get my hair done.

Do you have ANY SUGGESTIONS short of trying a new hairdresser??????????????????? Thank YOU

Maybe you could tell her you really didn't like the way the assistant did your hair. I would also say something like, "I don't have a lot of money to spare at the moment, is there anyway you could do my hair any cheaper?" She would probably say yes just to keep you as a customer. I don't blame you for not tipping the last time. I don't think you should automatically leave a tip. A tip means good service and it doesn't sound like you got it.