Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Salon Tipping..how much?

Well I'm a retired Hairdresser and I think it's rude not to tip.Most hairdressers don't own the salon they work in and only get a small percent of what the service cost. It's not an easy job and they need the tip to make the job even worth working and I don't know about you but when someone takes a pair of shears to my head I hope they're doing they're best and not thinking you cares they don't tip anyways. I tip everyone well from waitresses to bellboys These are the people that are the back bone of this country. you know what I'm saying:hard working,and doing what they can so you can have a good experance in what ever your doing.If these types of people were making a decent wage they wouldn't need the tip but then the cost of your service would be alot higher and you would be complaining about that. and to answer the question about 20% is standard.Sorry if this upsets anyone it is not my intention(sp?)I just want you to understand how it feels to be on the other side. If you didn't get the wage you receive now and were making $2.15 an hour and depended on tips to help feed your family and you did your best and the person just got up and left think about what you would be thinking of them. and the type of service you'ld want to give them the next time they came in

I don't have a problem with tipping. But what bothers me is, people expect a big tip no matter how good the service is. To me, tipping is given to people who do a good job, if it's a waitress or a hairdresser, or whoever. But if I go into a restaurant and get bad service, I am not going to leave a tip. That offends some people. The last few times my husband and I have eaten out, we have had terrible service. At one restaurant, we waited a long time for our drinks to be refilled. The restaurant was not busy and our waitress was in with a group of other waitresses talking and laughing, and just having a good time. I finally had to go up to her myself and ask if we could have refills. Guess what? We didn't leave a tip. So if I get good service, I will leave at least 20%, but I'm not going to leave a tip when the service is bad just because it is expected.

hmmm. i'm a confessed "over tipper", much to DH disapproval - but i really am respectful for those in the service industry because i've never set foot in one of those jobs & never wanted to.

that said - my previous hairdresser had to pay "booth - rental fee" each month. what he charged for cut/color was his......but that fee was obnoxious, basically a mtg payment. he worked his butt off, to clear the rental & have decent take home, it is a thankless job at times.

i tipped him hansomely each time because, not only did he make the grey fade into the woodwork & cut my hair the way i wanted...he was my therapist, friend, and made me feel special EVERY time. since he retired to austin, and doesn't get to dallas much - he referred me to a new salon that is basically a spa, a no tipping one. fees are higher, everyone there has health ins...i'm nosey i ask - and it's a nice environment.

bad service, deserves attention as much as GOOD service. i wouldn't necessarily not tip - but i would let mgmt know where i felt certain things "lacked", or not return.

working w/the public is no bargain -

Understandable, I myself am like that. If the service is not up to par I leave less of a tip then I would have if it a been good service. If it is bad service I let them and management know. I guess some people don't realize a waitress has to pay taxes on 15% of the food they serve.

Luluc, good luck on your run tomorrow!

So it sounds like 20% is standard for tipping in salons......I just wasn't sure but now I know!! Thanks:smile:

I tip my hairstylist 20%. She is the shop owner but by no means rolling in the money. Overhead is MURDER!!

If I don't like service at a restaurant I try to give the waitress benefit of the doubt. Everyone has off days and as long as they are trying thats what matters. If I really was unhappy with the service I will drop the tip to 10-15% if I like it its at least 20%.

Kimaly: "I guess some people don't realize a waitress has to pay taxes on 15% of the food they serve."

Is this a Virginia thing? I've never heard of this. Our servers don't pay taxes on the food they serve. There are taxes taken out of thier wages, just like the rest of us, but they pay nothing on what they serve. I don't even understand the logic in that. Why would they want to serve anyone if they are being charged to serve it basically? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole thing.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just confused by this, especially since I work around servers almost every day.

In CA servers must pay a certain percentage (in taxes) on their total sales. This is how they are taxed on their tips. Servers' sales are totaled and the taxes are withheld from their paychecks. That's why it isn't at all unusual for a server to have a paycheck for just a few (sometimes less than ten) dollars.

If someone leaves no tip, the server is still required to pay taxes on that total. The server actually has to pay for having served you.

Kimaly: "I guess some people don't realize a waitress has to pay taxes on 15% of the food they serve."

Is this a Virginia thing? I've never heard of this. Our servers don't pay taxes on the food they serve. There are taxes taken out of thier wages, just like the rest of us, but they pay nothing on what they serve. I don't even understand the logic in that. Why would they want to serve anyone if they are being charged to serve it basically? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole thing.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just confused by this, especially since I work around servers almost every day.

Here's how it works:a waitress is taxed on the $2.15 she makes an hour and is then responsable for claiming her tips which is also taxed if you do not turn in a weekly tip amount you are taxed on 15% of your total food sales and when you report your weekly tip amount it has to be at least 15% of the total sales if not they will go by total food sales so eather way you cut it your taxed on that % and I don't beleave it is state wide I'm almost sure it's a fed. thing, ask the servers you work around if they are required to claim they're tips, you might be surprized. larger tips you get from good tables make up for the bad tippers and the no tippers but is it fare the server should have to balance her tips like that? I'm sure that was not the intention of the good tipper(to make up for the bad ones)

I tip my hairstylist 20%. She is the shop owner but by no means rolling in the money. Overhead is MURDER!!

If I don't like service at a restaurant I try to give the waitress benefit of the doubt. Everyone has off days and as long as they are trying thats what matters. If I really was unhappy with the service I will drop the tip to 10-15% if I like it its at least 20%.

Well put! and I think this is a fair and reasonable way to go about it.

When I waited tables, I didn't have to pay a percentage of sales. I did have to report all my tips and they were taxed. The taxes were taken out of my check, so my check was usually only a few dollars since I only worked for $2.13 an hour.

I've worked payroll in our facility, so I don't need to ask the servers. Apparently, our servers are different since they make between $8-9 an hour. I know they don't claim thier tips, they are only taxed on the wage they earn. The tips that are run through a member's account (private club) are taxed as income as they should be, but any cash tips are pocketed and not taxed and we do not doing any kind of estimating those to tax them.

When I was a server making $2.15 an hour, I claimed my taxes and therefore was taxed on that. I guess that's why I didn't understand taxing them based on what they serve, because I've never seen it and it's never been done to me.

I don't understand why servers are still making $2.15 an hour! My roommate in college made that in 1988; wth? Anyway, I have a cushy desk job so I feel for servers and hairdressers that have to work on their feet so I tip 20% most of the time. Like Minxz said, I drop it if I have bad service. Plus, I pay $40 for a haircut in the Atlanta area which is pretty inexpensive so I don't mind the 20%. (And she's always so appreciative of the tip.) If she does something special and takes more time, I tip on top of that.