Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Salon Tipping..how much?

How much does everyone tip at a hair salon...I never know what the correct amount should be. Is there a standard percentage like at a restaurant? Hair salon services are getting more and more expensive so I want to know what I am supposed to be tipping. Thanks!

Its so funny I just came across this because I literally just hung up w/ my stylist after scheduling an appointment for a cut today. Anyway, my cut costs $40, and I usually leave a $5 tip. I dont know what the 'proper' amount is but thats what I leave. If I had color of somehting, I'd probably give more.

I've been going to the same stylist for years, and I give a 20% tip (more $$ at Christmas and a gift). When my kids a cut at a quick cut salon, I tip more than 20% because the price is so cheap - $5 tip for a $12 cut.

Edited by kiz

Since we are discussing tipping, what about a nail salon, is it the same? I usually give at least $5 for a full set, double if i have mani and pedi.

We dont tip in Australia thank goodness - it costs me $150 as it is for a cut and colour, no way should I have to leave 20% on top of that!

Sometimes you leave a few bucks on the table for good service at a restaurant, but that's it.

We dont tip in Australia thank goodness - it costs me $150 as it is for a cut and colour, no way should I have to leave 20% on top of that!

Sometimes you leave a few bucks on the table for good service at a restaurant, but that's it.

I like the Austraian way. I have to admit that after spending 3 to 4 hours at my hair salon, I don't feel like she needs a tip. She is getting $75 tp $100 for each of the 12 to 13 people that somehow get scheduled for the same time. I know every salon is not like this, but that is how the my hair dresser was.

I personally think tipping people is getting out of control. Everyone wants a tip! I agree that it is very hard for me to tip 20% on a $150.00 service. That equals out to alot of money per hour! Nurses, policemen, firemen, etc. don't make that kind of money.

i go to a full service *no tipping* Aveda salon. i LOVE the concept, the prices are a bit more - cut & color $125 & i ususally get some product. with that fee i also get a full chair massage & makeup application if i want (not a make up person, so i don't get that service).

i have been going there for about 4ys and i believe when i did tip for cut/color it was around $25 on a $100+ bill.

Well Im a hairdresser in the uk , although most my clients leave anything from £1 -£ 5 tip , its not complusary to leave tips in the uk .

Its really a good will gesture , obviously your regular clients that become almost good friends always tip more .

I say be grateful to what ever people give , some people can just afford to get their hairs done at a salon .

Its the credit crunch isnt it :mellow:

Everyones purses will be affected sooner or later .

Regards

SAS :cursing:

I think tipping has gotten out of hand too. If I get bad service in a resturant, I don't tip at all. When I go for a massage, which usually costs anywhere from $30-$60 depending on how long it is, I only give $5. That is all I can afford.

For salons, the typical tip is 20%. For those of you who say tipping has gotten out of hand, keep in mind that for many, the tips are their salaries. It's not like in the UK and Australia where you have minimum hourly requirements and health benefits for all. In the US, while there are minimum hourly wages, there is no compulsory requirement to provide health insurance and in many service jobs, there is no minimum wage requirement. Most waiters/waitresses only make $2.01 an hour and are expected to make their actual wages by tips. In most salons, the stylists are paid a percentage and the percentages vary depending on the experience and level of stylist. However, most salons also do not provide any insurance, sick day or vacation. You get paid when you work. The tips are to offset those costs. So, consider the 20% part of the fee. If you have a $40 haircut, then you should budget $48 for the cut. If you don't like tipping, then demand that the US government force all employers to provide healthcare and paid sick and vacation days off. Of course, if you do that, you will have to pay more taxes. The Brits and the Aussies pay WAY more taxes than the average American. One way or the other, you will pay for it, wouldn't you rather it be voluntary than involuntary through taxes?

"Most waiters/waitresses only make $2.01 an hour"

This is why I quit waiting tables a long time ago. Tips, no matter how much, could never make up for the difference.

Depending on how good the service was I leave between 15% and 20 %

Actually there is a minimum wage requirement with food and beverage servers. They earn about $2.15 an hour from the employer, and then thier tips are suppossed to make up the difference, if they don't the employer is suppossed to make up that difference so that they make that minimum wage.

I work in the hospitality/recreation industry, we pay our servers at least $5 more than they would make any where else, however, many private club members do not tip, therefore we pay the servers more and offer full time employees medical benefits. But, the members that do tip them, well, sometimes these girls make much more than I do, especially around the holidays when I'm wishing I wasn't on salary.

I also believe that you earn your tip, it shouldn't be assumed. I've seen the entire spectrum, from a great server who loves her job and you can tell, and makes your dinner (or whatever) a pleasant experience to a server who hates her job and wants to make sure everyone knows how miserable she is so that she can share that misery with them.

i dont mind tipping the waitor at dinner but i hate tipping the nail salon and the hair salon because i feel that their job and the service i came in for why do u need extra on top of the 40 i just gave you ...

especially when its the salon owner i know they are making the money....