Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 days post op,,depression

Ok so I have been banded 09/17/08, I am banded for only 9 days.

I feel soreness still at the large incision site,,my doc things I am fine though. How long did you guys feel the soreness for,,I still can't lye down on my side. I am so depressed wondering if I made the biggest mistake of my life. I am so frustrated with lack of eating. Any kinds words out there to keep me on the right track?

Congrats on your surgery!

I'm no doctor and I haven't been banded yet (can't wait!) but I've read on here that there were people who were still a little uncomfortable 2 weeks out but are fine now. Maybe you're a slow healer? Make sure you're taking it easy and try not to be depressed. You did a great thing for yourself. You just need to give it a chance to heal. Being depressed will make it take that much longer. Are you walking? I'm sure that would help with the healing and the depression.

Good luck!

well ,,, I m in day 13 post op and i still have my portal wound active ( due to the fact that i did not rest, it oozed some material ) I was able to sleep on my side only the past 2 night and i still have bandage ... yes u would be hungry but iced tea and milk cocktails makes it better ... i m thinking that once this operation stuff is over then the real ride starts ... so take it easy .. go for a walk ... watch a movie and get ur mind of the operation for a little while ...

I was also banded on the same day as you and I have been feeling pretty great but just remember that everyone heals differently. The first few days I was so sore I also wondered what I had done to my body and regretted it very much. Wednesday was really the first day I woke up and felt almost normal. My port incision is still tender but it will get better. Have you tried laying on your side with a pillow against your tummy? That helped me a lot. Keep your head up because the pain is a small price to pay for a lifetime of change!

What you're feeling is perfectly NORMAL! And it WILL go away. In just a week or so you will be feeling like this was one of the best decisions of your life. I was banded Aug. 9th and when I woke up the next morning(and for a couple of weeks) I was in complete panic and disbelief of what I had just done. But when your soreness goes away and you start eating food again, you will forget that you have this in you and your addiction to food will start to lose its hold on you. You will not be consumed with food and you will start to lose weight. Trust me, just try to get through this next week, and this will look entirely different! God bless!

I feel soreness still at the large incision site,,my doc things I am fine though. How long did you guys feel the soreness for,,I still can't lye down on my side. I am so depressed wondering if I made the biggest mistake of my life. I am so frustrated with lack of eating. Any kinds words out there to keep me on the right track?

Hey Tash, everybody is different when it comes to our bodies healing, and if your Doc thinks your fine trust him/her especially if you trusted him to do your surgery. Girl, don't let the regrets start because you won't be able to see the blessings that will come later. Stay strong and think of the postive reasons that had you motivated to have your surgery, I know that I do everyday. I often have to tell myself not to talk about it all the time LOL!

Have a blessed day!

im now 3 weeks post op and the port site has finally settled and i dont feel it unless i bend down iv been sleeping on my side since the first week but i roll a duvet[i think you call them something different] and throw my leg over it that way im on my side but not to flat and it worked wonders. your eating will settle too im now eating completly normally with no restriction at all just waiting for my first fill now dont worry it will get better hang in there

I agree that the heating pad is your friend!! I'm still using mine at 2 weeks post-op.

I found that sleeping with a pillow against my tummy was the best way to get rest for the first week and a half and being rested helped me get through the days better.

I was able to start some mushie foods on day 10 and that helped my head hunger. Also, Isopure protien Water is great for sipping throughout the day to keep the hunger at bay.

Hi I just got banded on 9/12 and the worst so far is the pain in my neck - but have not had the depression - well maybe once or twice when I was on the clear liguids - and I quickly called my dietician in Mexico and she said to go to soft foods - once I started eating cream of wheat wow what a joy - I had trouble sleeping also and that pillow sort of flat idea helps to take away the pressure - but as of this past Wednesday I can now sleep on my stomach and on the side of the port - my port was really sore until about yesterday and it is geting better everyday - I had to take a week off of work but this 2nd week getting out and active again really helped - try it it does work - I am now down 15 lbs in 2 weeks and it feels so good - also prune juice helps lol :-) if ya know what I mean - I am also finding out that I cannot eat more than 3 oz of food or I get the gas pains in my neck again - please keep us informed - are you still on Clear liquids - go to fulls it will help I promise - Best Regards - Amy:thumbup::):thumbup:

You have to remember you just had major surgery, you aren't eating like normal, so you are Vitamin deprived as well as other nutrients. You may be feeling down or depressed because of these things. It is also big adjustment to the mind as well. You are in the process of giving up something that was a huge part of your life and now you don't have it to reach for when you are feeling down - it is hard. It is just like any other addiction, you are going thru a withdrawal, plus the hardship of surgery. I wondered if I did the right thing too because it is truly like starting over. What to eat, what not to eat, did I mess things up, did I hurt the band, etc. etc. Its all overwhelming at first. But once you start feeling better and get past the first 6 weeks, it gets easier. So many put so much emphasis on the first 6 weeks of dieting. It is important to follow for the stomach to heal, but don't stress yourself out if you can eat one more ounce than they suggested. Just eat what they say and follow it the best you can. I had no pain after surgery, so I can't comment on the port area. I do know depending where it is placed, some people have port area pain for up to a few months. If it continues - have the doctor check it out in person, not over the phone. Use the heating pad and pain meds as needed to comfort you a little. You are on your way to a healthier life, but it isn't easy, but you can do it. The hard part is over and you will get the hang of everything else. Come in the chat room and talk with people who have had it so you are getting one on one support to from people who have been there. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

Thank you everyone!

Your sincere words have helped a bit, I keep reading them over and over, so I can see there is a time I will be happy again after all this crud.

A few really goos suggestions, and points were made that made sense to me.

1. This is an addiction to eating, and it takes time to get better!

2. This is real no kidding surgery and everyone heals different!

3. Maybe a cocktail will help..lol

I want to thank everyone for your support...I am still depressed and crying a lot but, at leat I am not alone.

Thank you !

Hi there

i had my band on Sept 20th and I am very sore at the port site and find it hard lying dowm. I also have a massive bruise.

Ed manchester UK