Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood in the Band Fluid???

Hi:

Has anybody had blood in their band Fluid?

I've been banded 14 months. Not been having many issues. I had some tightness issues a while back. I was so tight that I couldn't bend without losing my morning coffee. I had to get unfilled 8 days ago. Yesterday got refilled. Today had pain in band area and went to get a slight unfill. Doc said he was going to empty my band because there was blood in the Fluid. Then he put new fluid in, but a little less than last fill. I don't have any pain, but I'm still on liquids. Yesterday I didn't have any pain. The pain started the morning after the fill.

How the heck do you get blood in the band fluid? Should I be concerned? Anybody else?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that this happened to.

I still love my band!

Sue

Just wanted to bump this up again because I didn't get any responses. Has this happened to anyone? Does it mean anything?

Sue

Hi Sue

I had an unfill a few months back, and I noticed there was blood (alot!) in the syringe. I didn't ask my Dr. what that meant, and he didn't seem concerned. Now, hearing that your Dr. wants to redo yours, I'm concerned. I have an appointment today, as a matter of fact, and I am going to ask him about it. I'll let you know what he says.

Debbie

I wanted to share the outcome of my issue in case it might help someone else. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner as I said I would. As it turned out even though there was blood in the syringe when my Dr. removed part of my fill, the band Fluid (which was removed a few weeks later) was clean. The Dr. said I'd had a hematoma (a pool of blood) that had formed at the port site due to the fact he'd had to insert the needle multiple times in an attempt to locate the port during my fill. So later that night when he went in to remove some fluid (the band was too tight) some of the blood from the hematoma was drawn up into the syringe. So if there's blood showing up in the syringe it doesn't neccessarily mean there's blood in the band. I don't know what could possibly cause blood in the band though.

Debbie

Hello- I am having the same problem I was doing great for no gills up to a year and felt restriction. Then just one day I could eat anything. Made an appt got a fill (didn't see the fluid) no restriction went back a week later doctor saw that the Fluid was a little yellowish (like old blood) he washed my band out and put in 4 cc one week later less than 3 cc came out with the yellowish fluid and almost like these little floaties of particles. We schedules a upper GI . The band looked good but he scheduled a port replacement. He did this 2 weeks ago and he didn't see a leak in the port so he sent it to allergen ( standard procedure waiting to hear back) 1 wk after replacement saw him he took out the same amount if fluid he put in but fluid slight yellow. I am scheduled in 1 more week to see if the clean fluid is the same color. He had no idea what's happening. Anyone please help!!

Sorry I have to tell you this but... The blood in my port was caused by erosion. I felt hardly any restriction and my band was at 6.5-7ml full. Don't get scared just get checked. Yes, my band is out and I miss it. I can not have another so I am having the sleeve. I did not abuse my band had it for 8 years and lost 90 lbs and was able to keep my wt down to 135 lbs. now that it is gone I am gaining weight like crazy!!! 40lbs up and my diabetes and high blood pressure is back.. I have struggled all my life one band was my best friend. I hope I will have success with the sleeve????????????????