Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Need answer quick!

Hi everybody - I just had my third fill, the first was .5 , the second .5, and now this one was 1cc. I am having a hard time with heartburn ( I think ). I feel like the food I am eating gets stuck right away, but it also kind of burns when I eat and then I still feel that heartburn feeling way after I eat. Do you think it's a type of food I ate at a certain time or should I call the Dr. ( maybe I'm too tight?) I would appreciate a quick response cause I am kind of scared to eat what I should be eating for fear of discomfort later. I was banded a year ago but my DR. believes in slow going so that's why he hasn't given me much fill until now. Thanks for the help!

I had the same fears after my second filling, but really its best to stay on liquids for at least a day or two after you get filled. I had heartburn too and it felt like everything was too tight!

After a while though it got much better and everything was good. Keep in mind that whenever you get a filling, your body reacts to a foreign object being put into your body by swelling the stomach. So you will at first be tighter than you will be after the swelling goes down.

As long as you can comfortably get liquids down, then I'd say give it a day or two.

I have heard several people say that their doctors say these are signs of a band being too tight. I would wait 24 hours and than let your doctor know whats up.

Be careful because my badn swelled shut once from it being too tight.

Good luck.

My surgeon told me that heart burn is one of the signs that your band is too tight...I'd call your Dr and tell him what you're feeling because if you just wait you could risk overfilling your stoma and stretch it! If in doubt call your Dr...

Sweatpea, You should really do the liquids after a fill. I try to go 3 days at least. if liquids are good I go to mushies and work my way up to solid. If you have a hard time with liquids and mushies after a few days..I would definetly call the doc. especially if you start in on the saliva and spitting. But never put it off if you think something is wrong. Take care you!

Hi everybody - I had the fill last Friday and I did do the few days of liquids and also a few days of mushies but I still feel this way. I guess I should call the Dr. and let him know. Thanks so much for all of your help and your fast response - I don't feel as scared now. I actually ate a small salad and a small piece of vegetable quiche tonight for dinner and so far I feel ok. Thanks again!

If you are starting to feel better, don't get an unfill. If you have to start spitting up, than get one. But you could possibly be at your sweat spot if you stop experience so much heart burn. Sometimes it takes a little longer for the swelling in your stomach to go down. This often happens when you go from .5 to .5 to 1. It also depends on the day and when its my time of the month, I never get a fill because you are ALWAYS tighter.

That sounds classic of acid reflux. The acid comes up the lower esophagus, irritates the tissue, much like you scrape your knee on the cement. Think of rubbing sandpaper over that raw skin. That's what happens when you swallow food and it goes over the irritated tissue in your lower esophagus. I have a major problem with that. I had it all under control, got a fill that last Saturday, and today, Tuesday, I can feel the reflux starting again. Sometimes if you take a small amount out it will go away. You can also use a PPI, Proton Pump Inhibitor, like Prilosic, Nexium, Aciphex to keep your stomach from producing acid. That helps enormously. Prilosec you can buy over the counter now. Take 1 on an empty stomach in the evening, and it usually last 12 hours. Reflux happens primarily at night when your laying down. Don't eat 2 hours before bed. That keeps your stomach pressure lower so things don't back up as much. Good luck, I hope things get better for you.

You were just the post I needed to read today. I had my third fill last Friday and went on liquids for the first day (per the doc's instructions). Its now Tuesday and I've been noticing that I have to eat really slow and chew and chew and chew (did I say chew?) to make the food go down.

I don't have heart burn but it feels like discomfort in my chest. Like the food is getting stuck. I use this papaya pineapple enzyme you can buy from Trader Joes. My doctor's office said you can use it when it feels like things get stuck.

I think I have to re-think what type of foods I am eating and the amount. I'm excited because I think I'm FINALLY feeling the restriction with food that others talk about but it scares me to know that maybe my band is too tight. I'm going to experiment with mushier foods for now and watch my quantity of food. I think I was eating steaks and chicken without any problem. I don't think I can do that now.

If it gets too restrictive, I'm thinking of calling and talking to my doctor. I would encourage you to do the same. That is why they get the big bucks to help us with these things.

Hi everyone - I went back to my Dr. and he took 1/10 of the fill out. I feel so much better, no more heartburn but enough restriction to know the pain if I eat too much. Wow, what an experience! I lost 5 pounds in a week which i thoink is good but my Dr. said was a bit too much, but I feel alot better now!

:thumbup:I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. I have experienced the tightness since my last fill last Friday. I am excited about it because its the first time I have felt such restriction and it helps me with the amount of food. Certain foods like steak, chicken, etc., have to be eaten in tiny bites and I can't seem to eat as much.