Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4th Fill tomorrow -- I have NO RESTRICTION

I was banded 7/1/08 and I'm a bit frustrated. I can (and therefore, do) eat everything.....

I don't know the cc's -- my doc doesn't say.

I do believe I have the 14 band.

I have reviewed these threads and am very concerned about the references to what seems to suggest a maximum capacity -- is it possible that I would get this band filled to capacity and STILL not have restriction.

Now that, my friends, would be a big-time bummer.

I have lost NO weight. No lectures, please.....

I wouldn't lecture you at all. I just want to tell you that my surgeon always told me it might take 4-5 fills (or more) to get adequate restriction. That's common whether you have a 10cc band or a 14 cc band. It's a process. You've had the band under 3 months and have probably been on "regular" foods only half that time...so 6 weeks of fills? You need to give it a chance.

And if you want to know if you are near capacity I suggest ASKING your doctor what size band you have, how much it will hold, and how much you have in it. It is an artificial device inside YOUR body. You have a right and almost an obligation to know about it!

Sissy:

I am in the same boat, inasmuch as I do not know what size band, the amt of cc's per fill, etc. (It is my own fault because I do not ask, but the fill visits are always rushed. They're extremely busy and they act like they are coralling cattle or something). I've had 3 fills and feel a LITTLE more restriction with each one, yet, I am still hungry, a LOT. The one thing I have learned, especially by reading this forum, is that we are all different. We lose at different paces, some of us need more fills than others, some of us have a harder time letting go of our comfort foods, and so on. Without the intention of lecturing, I will encourage you to talk to your doctor, be honest and ask questions...and trust me, next time I go for a fill, rushed or not, I will be taking my own advice. :rolleyes2:

This is what I am going to do this thursday I understand my doctor wants to go slow and I respect that but at the same time I am getting frustrated I even started thinking I prolly don't even have a band in there :rolleyes2: I know I do I just wanted to say that. I have had 2 fills and going on my 3rd this week. I so want restriction the down side of it all is I am so scared or rather embarrassed that I have lost NO WEIGHT what so ever!!! And to have to face him each time and he ask have you done this or that, and are you eating only one cup I have to honest right well the proof is there obviously I have lost NO WEIGHT!!! And I feel so like a a failure, my freind whom lost over 100lbs already says to relax that soon enough it will fall off...I am wondering really????????

Good luck with your next fill keep us posted ok.

I'm not scheduled for surgery until October 28th but at the appointment with the surgeon (who everyone LOVES who have had him do the procedure) told me they (the two surgeons who do the band) are doing their fills differently now. After the healing time has passed I'll be given a minor fill and see how well I react. He said there are a few patients who don't need anymore but that most do. At the time of the second fill they will completely fill the band and leave the needle in while the patient swallows some Water and then remove solution until that water flows through :rolleyes2:--- they stop the removal at that time and you're sent home to have a liquid diet for a few days and then see if a soft diet is tolerated for some days and, if so, move on to more solid foods. Needless to say, I'm a little affraid of going too fast with the fill process and am trying not to think that far ahead. I can only hope I'm one of the few who don't need a second fill --- I know, wishful thinking! Good luck to everyone whatever the process.

Well, count me in this boat. I was banded 7/7/08, and I haven't lost much either. Maybe 20 lbs. I am going in tomorrow for my 4th fill. I can eat anything except bread. This is crazy. Lots of money for this surgery, and I can still eat. I dont get it. Sometimes I wish I had of had the gastric. I am VERY frustrated. Help?? suggestions??

Boy you guys must have had some bad seminars! Everything I was told and everything I've read says it takes a bit of work to hit the "sweet spot" where you feel full on less and it lasts a good while but you don't PB everything. I was told to expect AT LEAST 4 fills and maybe 6 or 7 fills and unfills! Also told that the band provided SLOW WL of an average of 1-2 pounds a week and that while bypass patients lose most in the first year to 18 months, we bandsters can lose for 3 years or more!

Be nice to yourselves! If your surgeons are dragging their feet on your fills, ask for a little more aggression...but perfection takes time!

From what I've read here etc once you hit that zone it is worth the wait.