Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am amazed at the transformation I have gone thru so far this year.

I did alot of research prior to my surgery. I was very fearful that like every other "diet" this would not be a long-term answer. But, I am happy to say that this was the answer I had been searching for. The surgery was the switch I needed to flip to put myself on a different path.

I reached my original goal weight after just 7 months and have maintained that weight.

I feel like I need to exercise and am excited about what I can do. If I miss a couple of days, I am motivated to do more next time (quite a change from a girl who avoided ANY exercise at all).

I think about food differently. If I need to snack, I choose fruit with cheese or nuts. I acutally found Protein bars I crave!

It surprises me how many people say they didn't recognize me or ask if I have been sick. I do not think that I look that different. I still see all of the fat spots. However, when I hold up my new pants, I can't believe that I wear anything that small (I went from an 18-20 womens to an 8 petite).

One of the most remarkable things that happened was that my doctor asked me to come in and speak at the info session. I can't believe after all these years of being the fat girl in the audience, I will now be the success story standing in front of the room!

I know for my, this has been the most amazing, rewarding choice I have made. I am so grateful I was able to do this and I LOVE it!

Congratulations! You are an inspiration to all! I can't wait til I am in your same shoes. This so far has been the best decision I have ever made as well, and I am only 9 days postop. I am looking forward to my success as well! Keep up the good work! God Bless.

Wow, you look really good. You are an inspiration to me. I was banded on May 27th of this year but these last three days I've been struggling with my eating habits. Thanks for the great story I'll get back on track NOW.

Am I glad I read your story! I am also 5 feet tall and am in a size 18-20. My lapband surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 30th. I wish I could be in your audience when you speak. I know everyone there will be very inspired.

Congrats! I was also banded in Jan (18th) I have lost 62 at 144 now. A few more to go.Of course they seem to be the toughest. Any tips on losing that last 10-15 lbs. I have 6.5 cc in a 10cc I have had 6 fills. How many fills have you had, I am not quite at the sweet spot. I am also on the short side only 5.2. We crry our weight so differently it seems.

Are you on maintenance or still working that band?:smile2:

Your picture is beautiful. You look so happy. I am down 33 pounds. Surgery was Sept. 30th, this year. I just had my third fill. They are taking it slowly with me. I still don't feel the restriction others describe, but am sticking to 1000 cals a day, below 20 fat grams and drinking lots and lots of Crystalite. The only starch I eat is one serving of cream of wheat at night.

You mentioned a Protein bar -- which one? Also, what kind of exercise regimen are you on? I haven't started mine yet. I HATE to exercise but know I have to begin.

My clothes size is going down very slowly.

If you have time, could you tell me what you eat in a day?

Thanks, you are so nice and helpful.

Betty Dilley

Germantown, TN

186/153/117

9/30/08

Dr. Woodman

Your post is just what I needed to see! I am to have my surgery on Jan 16...I am so nervous! I'm scared this is another diet that will fail!

I have told 5 people about my surgery....my husband of course, my sister in law, my bff, my dietician and my Dr. My Dr is supportive as is my husband and bff. However my sister in law is trying to talk me out if it. I am no longer discussing the subject. I will not tell anyone else because I just don't want to explain myself.

I am so excited for your success. Thanks for sharing it with us! :laugh:

Kat,

I also told very few people what I was doing. It is a big decision and hard to hear everyone else's opinions.

You do what is right for you (and you are the best judge of what that is)!

Today is the 1 year anniversary of my surgery and I would not go back for anything!

I used the website alot in the beginning for support, questions, and guidance. I'm glad my experience can provide some inspiration for you.

Good luck,

Meri

Betty,

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

The Protein bars I use the most are the Atkins chocolate Peanut Butter Bars. They have 18g of Protein and only 1 gram of sugar. Sam's Club sells a box of 15 for ~ $17. I also use the Atkins granola bars. I prefer the chocolate Peanut Butter ones early in the day because they are creamier.

Usually, I eat Quaker weight control oatmeal for Breakfast. If I don't have time, I either do a low fat cheese + fruit or one of the bars. At lunch I eat a protein with fruit/veggies. For example turkey slices with tomatoes and cucumbers; veggie burger with bean salad; tuna salad. I eat dinners with my family, but do not have any of the rice, Pasta, potato or bread. So, I just pick what I can eat and add some thing like sugar free applesauce when necessary.

My excercise routine is pretty basic. I try to walk at least 2 miles 3x/week, but the holidays and cold weather have been a challenge. I also train with weights once a week.

I'm sure when you get into your routine, things will go well for you. Happy new year and best of luck,

Meri

I had 2 fills in the past year. I don't know what size my band is or how much is in their.

Being shorter does really make it harder! I increased my walking to get the last few pounds off - so I added a couple of miles each week.

I still use the band as a tool to remind me to slow down or stop eating. I'm not sure what maintenance would entail exactly.

I set my goal weight without much of a clue what it would mean in realistic terms. My primary care doctor is a great guy and he thought anything below 140 would be great. I am now at 132.8, but according to my scale with the bmi calculator I am still overweight. So I guess technically, I will always be "overweight" (even though I can fit into size 4-6 pants).

Congratulations on your success!

Meri