Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to give you complete honesty and not just some ?rah-rah? speech?

It’s been almost one year since my banding; and when first contacted to write about my personal Lap Band experience, I really did some soul searching, looking at what my life was like for all those years versus my life today.

You see, when I first heard about the Lap Band, I thought it was too good to be true: a non-invasive surgery that would be life-changing and bring me my dreams? Bring it on! :cursing: My decision seemed like a no-brainer! But during my six-month required wait prior to surgery, I studied, studied, studied about what my new life would be like, the good and the bad. So I was well-informed and knew the sacrifices I’d be making.

I honestly thought it wouldn’t work for me—nothing I had EVER done in my life to lose weight had worked, and we all know the torture we put ourselves through, only to fail time and time again. I thought “I’ll be the only one who actually gained weight with the Lap Band”! :mellow: Time has proven me totally wrong in that respect!

Mentality? Here are the two mentalities I tell everyone that are absolutely required for banding: Discipline and Commitment. I knew it coming into surgery and how well I know it now!

food? We obese persons (yes, I will always be mentally ‘obese’) develop a special relationship with food; and once we are banded, that relationship changes drastically. There are many foods we will never be able to eat again because of the stoma. I wasn’t much of a “protein” eater before—more of a “low-to-no fat eater”—but man, has that changed! :embaressed_smile:

Exercise? I’ve exercised for twenty-five years, so that hasn’t changed much (went from three days a week to four, and added weight training for two of those days).

Co-morbidities? Although I was solid fat, I hadn’t developed any of the physical co-morbidities. But mentally, I felt like I was a cast-out from what our society looks upon as an acceptable size; and I still feel there is a real societal stigma associated with obesity. :tt2:

Life in general? Life will always be about YOU once you’re banded: making sure you get enough daily nutrients and Fiber to protect your body, not eating the wrong type of foods, not eating too quickly.

Bottom line? I absolutely LOVE it when people come up to me and comment on how ‘thin’ I am now—I actually had an old friend say she’d seen me in a crowd and didn’t recognize me until I spoke! That’s the best part, along with wearing clothes that look good. I felt okay-to-good before, but I feel (mentally and physically) terrific now!

Do it again? Yes, I really think so. :cool2:

Edited by make33

Thanks for sharing your story.

You look awesome! Thank you for your story.

Your story really helped me. I am also 5 feet tall. My lapband surgery is on Tuesday, Sept. 30th. Thank you for telling your story. I have many of the same feelings you mentioned.

Thanks so much for sharing. I have oftern thought the same exact things you stated.

I feel more optimistic reading this.

Best of luck in your continued success

I've found that many of the stories here aren't just "rah-rah", and as I'm just beginning - actually, don't even have a surgery date yet - I want to hear ALL the stories. The good, and the not so good.

Thank-you.

You have done a great job and should be proud. Banding is not the easiest route . . . but it sure can get you where you want to go if you are determined and committed. Congratulations.

Dang! You really DO look 20 years younger!!! Congratulations!:)

You look fantastic. Love how you explained your journey. I totally agree with you.

I would do it again also. Before I got to my sweet spot (proper restriction) I totally thought I would never get to my goal weight because I had tried every diet possible I thought. Well this is truly a life style change. When I look in the mirror sometimes I don't know the lady that is looking back at me but I tell you one thing and that is "I LOVE HER". I wish you continued success. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :sad::sad:

_Lottie

Wow, what a success story; I also felt that I would be one of those people who dont lose anytthing; well, I was banded on 8/17/09 and have lost 27 pounds already, but now I have hit a plateau and kinda scared; I am exercising and eating just right; I am hoping that I will continue to lose; I weighed in at 267 now down to 242; I am so glad to hear your story; Congrats! Janice at bbillingslea@bellsouth.net :thumbup: