Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calcium Carbonate v Calcium Citrate

Does anyone know why we are supposed to supplement with Calcium Citrate and NOT Calcium Carbonate? I just "took" one of the calcium citrate supplements I got from my doc and aside from the icky taste it took FOREVER for that horse tablet to dissolve. I don't have an hour and a half a day (30 min each) to sit and let a supplement dissolve. I'm busy and will only get busier.

I don't mind eating 1/4 cup of food. I don't mind avoiding bread. But I draw the line at those calcium supplements! What do you do? Do you know why Ca Carbonate is "bad"? HELP? I know I won't take them....and that's foolish...

Calcium carbonate is bad??? I didn't know this . . . and that is what I take occasionally (I have milk, yogurt and cheese on a regular basis so I don't need a lot for calcium supplements).

I would love to hear what people have to say on this subject.

I tried to call my doc's office and ask why...but they are closed for lunch or some such. The dietitian connected with my doc is really bad to say "Never ever do such and such" and it's a personal thing, not grounded in science. so I tend now to distrust everything she tells me! (not good, huh? but I love the surgeon) So now I DO question all her rules. This is just another, I think!

All I remember about that is the gastric patients had to take the calcium citrate, but the band patients didn't (we were in a mixed group). I take a chocolate Calcium chew that I bought at costco - some people take the Viactiv calcium chews. My nutritionist said they were fine and I only need to chew one once a day - just has to be two hours from my Multi-Vitamin.< /p>

Yeah...that dietitian (the hairy eyeball woman, as I like to think of her LOL) kept getting us lap banders and the bypassers confused. She kept thinking I had GBS...I am pretty thick skinned but after the 5th time in 30 minutes I started to take offense LOL

I'm going to buy viactiv. So there! :tt1:

Here is what I found..if it cuts and pastes properly:

Types of Calcium

Calcium Carbonate

Coral Calcium

Example of Brand names

Citracal

Viactiv, Tums or Caltrate

Is primarily Calcium Carbonate. Its absorption, bioavailability, risk and benefits have been poorly studied. In the scientific literature, there is a great deal of skepticism regarding the health benefits of Coral Calcium

Absorption

Calcium is best absorbed in an acidic environment, hence calcium citrate is the best absorbed supplemental form of calcium. It does not require extra stomach acid for absorption, hence we may take it anytime in a day, even on an empty stomach

Calcium Carbonate is alkaline based, it requires extra stomach acid for better absorption, hence it is best taken right after meals or with a glass of acidic juice such as orange juice.

Average Absorption rate

38%

27%

Absorbed Better

Can be taken with meal or seperatly

When taken with meals

Dosing

As prescribed by your surgeon. It is however important not to take more than 500mg at once, and allow 30-60 minutes between doses

Calcium content

Calcium Citrate usually provides less elemental calcium per pill than Calcium Carbonate, therefore one may need to take a relatively more numbers of pills per day to meet the needs.

Calcium Carbonate is the most prevalent calcium supplements in the market . It provides more elemental calcium than Calcium Citrate hence you may not need take as many pills.

Elemental Calcium Content

21%

40%

The summary of the above table is that, Calcium Citrate is absorbed easier, but more of it needs to be takes to get the same amount of elemental calcium. Less of Calcium Carbonate is needed to get the same amount of elemental calcium, however the absorption is less efficient. A search of the medical literature will provide supporting data for recommending one or another type. I believe that most people at least in the beginning could take either type. The decision of which one to take should be based of which is tolerated better. Later on recommendations for changes will be made. Back to Top

In my orientation class they said that both banders and Bypassers had to take calcium citrate. I wonder if you could cut the pill in half and take it with two different meals?

So basically, calcium citrate will be absorbed better that carbonate.

JWRN...thanks for that. I think I may try to find that chewable calcium citrate that mdhomeschool (thanks!) suggested. I know heavy women are rarely at a risk for osteoporosis but I hope to be out of the "heavy" category eventually; and while I'm losing I think I'll be high in Protein but lighter in the Calcium rich foods, so a supplement is a good idea for me. I'll try the chewable citrate and if it's vile, will use the carbonate. Any supplement that I actually USE is better than a perfect one I won't use. :tt1: Now at least I know why they prefer the citrate.

Minx...i'm to take 1 each time 3 times a day...and let it dissolve on my tongue. It's HUGE! It's chalky....and the big bugaboo is it took it FOREVER to dissolve! And I tried to make it go faster. I finally got sick of it and chewed the last little bit. I am pretty tough but this just tested my patience. I know even if I tell myself to "quit whining and just take the darn thing" down the road I'll revert to the wild and not take it. So I need to find an alternative. I think the chewable one will be my next experiment!

Great discussion, and it got me to investigate the Calcium my doctor recommended, two sugar free Tums. I am a milk, yogurt and cheese eater, so I'm not too concerned with extra calcium, but I do want to do what's best. I found this article on Tums, but I thought the interesting line was this:

"Watch your Protein intake. Too much can promote calcium loss from bones."

I wish it would have said how much Protein is too much. I never had as much protein as I am now, and it makes me think I should pay more attention to my calcium intake.

Tums for Calcium?

I use the TwinLabs chewable calcium citrate. I take 4 a day - 2 with my morning meal and 2 with my evening meal. Each tablet is the size of 5 quarters stacked together, but they are my "candy". To me they taste like a weak SweeTart. Vitamin Shoppe has them on sale online, but if you have a shop locally, they will honor the internet price. Just print out the page showing the product and sale price from the website and take it with you. There are only 60 tablets in a bottle, so it takes 2 bottles a month if you take the recommended amount of 1000 mg. It also has 100% RDA of Vitamin D and Magnesium.

Edited by MistyD65

Wow I think we were only told to take one a day and in tablet form. I can't imagine I would have the patience for that either. I hope you find something that works for you!