Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on 6/26 and still not losing

I had my surgery on 6/26/08 I have only lost 11lbs. I have really begining to lose hope that this is just somthing else that will not work. I am not getting hugery inbetween meal and I am eating my Protein first. I am eating small meals. I am trying to exercise but I have a bad knee that will not allow it all the time. I am getting so depressed. :wink2: I am begiging to feel like this is just another weight lost program that will not work for me. I am working hard at it and I just do not under stand. GRRRRRRR :lol:

when did you get enough restriction to curtail your eating? count your weight loss from that fill.

How frustrating for you. My doctor said there were three cardinal rules to remember about judging whether one needed more fill:

1. losing less than 1/2 kg (1lb) a week
  2. meals are getting too big (ie over 1 cup of food)
  3. snacking or "feeling starving" between meals

He said the main thing to do is not to drink with the meals or for as long as possible afterwards. This is because the food goes "soupy" and passes through the band too quickly - this will slow weight loss. He said it was fine to drink up to the time you start eating. Maybe you need more fill? My doctor said that if the band is not working it's not because you're a failure etc, it's because the band is not adjusted correctly. He said all he asked was that his patients did not battle not losing weight alone but came back to him to discuss it and get a fill. He said to be alert for "fat thinking" - like "it's all my fault" - It's not. I hope this helps.

Mel

My first fill was on 7/26 and they did a double fill then I had my second fill on 8/20. Still I am no losing. I am going to have another fill on 9/17. I am scared of being overed filled it happen to my friend and her band sliped and she had to have surgery again to have the band put back in placed and restart everything. She is fine now but it scares me.

You have good ideas I am going to talk to my doctor about. I do not drink with my meal but I do drink about 20 min. after my meal. I am eating more than 1/2 cup but not much more. I am due for another fill this week 9/17 I am just scared of being over filled.

Hi there, I completely understand your situation. I was banded in February, and you can see my results. But without trying to beat a dead horse. It IS really important NOT to drink while eating,before or after either. I never realized just how important this was until I started doing it. I can attribute this to the weight I have lost so far. Before this time I wasn't losing anything because I was completely counterproducting myself by drinking. I just had to get used to it. It really stinks, but it is essential, at least in MY success. Keep your chin up dear, we are rooting for you!! :)

I was struggling with weight loss as well, I tried cutting down on my carbs dramatically and voila the weight started coming off. I have 4cc in a 10cc band and on monday am getting another fill probably to 5cc. I think losing 11 pounds is great.. think where you would be without the band.. that 11 pounds would still be there and maybe you would have gained. Also it's not just pounds its inches.. but remember how long it took for you to gain the weight.. just give it time and I wouldn't worry about slipping with a fill. You can't worry about what if all you can do is control now. Good luck and God bless!

I know you are right, 11lbs is better than where I might have been because I was gaining. My clothes are fitting better and I guess I could have gain 11 more instead of loosing it. My jeans were getting tight and now they are loose. I know I am loosing but it is a number thing I guess. I am getting married in a few weeks and I so wanted to loose about 20lbs before the wedding, I guest that I my problem. I will keep going.

Thanks everyone! :-)

7_5_142.gifI am a slow loser. I figured out what I was doing wrong and now I am losing better than before. I wasn't eating enough calories. I had to keep a food diary to find that out. I thought I was eating to much, but actually not enough. I have had 2 fills with a little restriction. I get another fill the 22. So I am working it. Just make sure you are eating enough calories. Good cals for me is between 1200-1400. At least 1 day a week I eat on the high side of my cals. That helps change things up some and burn more cals. DON'T give up hope! You have lost, you will lose. It isn't your fault! I felt that way at first. My old self was full of self lothing. It took a lot of saying "I love myself. I am worth something. I will do this" That helped me overcome those feelings. Good luck and hang tough!sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

I am only eating about 500-700 cal. a day. I just can't eat that much. I am getting another fill on Wed. I eat protien at Breakfast this is my big meal, a little smaller lunch that is loaded witih protien and a small supper that is a salad or grilled chicken breast or lean burger sometime grilled steak. I always eat veggies and fruit. I am going to talk to my Dr. on Wed about my slow weight loss. I know they are going to tell me I need to exercise more but my knees will not hold me up yet. I am trying. I will keep working at it.

I hope you have a detailed food diary to take with you when you go in for your fill next week. If you don't, start today. Even with no exercise, at 500 to 700 cals/day you should be losing weight. You obviously can't take in fewer calories, so although a fill should help you not feel hunger as quickly, that's not your problem. It sounds like you're getting a good amount of Protein and very few carbs. Either you need to shake up your diet or there's another issue causing your body to hang onto the weight. If it were me, I'd want to bring in the details of my diet including amount and foods I'm eating. I haven't had a fill yet, but my doctor's office has a form to complete and bring when we go in for fills with our food diary.

Good luck, and I hope things turn around for you.

I have 1 bad knee but have been working out, which helps. Try Water aerobics and take it slow. Just do what you can do. I also do Nautilus for upper body. I also work on legs but am very gentle on my knees. Use low weights and slow movements. I am trying to build up the muscles in my legs to support my knees. I also do better when I avoid carbs as much as possible. Don't give up hope! It will start to come off soon!

What is

Nautilus for upper body
. I have never hear of this type of excerise. I am watching everythig I am eating. I do not keep a diary but I know what I am eating and I do drink lots of Water except at meals.

I just mean the Nautilus-type machines at the gym. Some days I work the arms and some days I work the legs. You can't work the same muscle groups two days in a row or you won't build muscle.