Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you still enjoy eating?

I enjoy the taste of food. Food has lost it's hold over me, however, and I am not interested in it as a rule. I eat when I need to. Sometimes, I forget to.

Being a Southerner the kitchen table is where we sit for hours, before, during, and after the meal, then coffee with a piece of pecan pie, or coffee cake...you get the gist...lol. It WAS the center of my life for nearly thirty years. Now I can chatter and not think about "well I will try some of this, and have a slice of that, and oh that looks delicious, just a bite or two of that."

I would be an idiot to say I don't miss diving into all of that, BUT, now all I need is just a bite or two, and my craving is gone. God you have NO IDEA just how satisfying it is to turn down Mama's Lemon Ice Box pie.:wink_smile:

I do miss being able to lose myself in food. I was banded in March and have a hard time with the frustration of feeling the feelings instead of stuffing them. I am hopefull that in time I will resolve my head issues and enjoy my new eating abilities.

I do enjoy eating healthy food now. I love my new size and ability to move without constant pain. I do miss overeating, but am confident that I will get over it. It's really hard to believe that I am still so attached to something that did nothing but bring me misery for years and years. I will move past this in time. New healthy habits will replace the old bad ones thanks to my band.

Christine

I used to eat until I felt gross... I would eat a whole package of Cookies, or totally over eat on take out until my stomach hurt! That was NOT enjoying food!

Right now I am enjoying how little it takes to make me feel satisfied and I am enjoying the numbers on the scale going down. I went out to eat and enjoyed the company and my appetizer! You will find other things to enjoy!

That's a cool answer Jack.

The energy and the extra time spent on living life fully instead of always self indulging and in my case hiding must be embowering.

Maybe without the food to comfort me i will get strong and be forced to finally accept life with all it's pimples and dimples.

great thread..... U know i really don't enjoy eating anymore because most of the times things get stuck no matter how slow i eat or if i chew chew chew.... eggs get stuck... i said that i should prob. have some of my fill removed but i will tuff it out i wont get a fill this month i will just go back in October, but no i don't enjoy eating anymore... it is so hare to reprogram yourself from the clean your plate days..... but i know i can do it...

Boy I can relate to those "make a happy plate days!"

Now my whole body is uhhh happy..lol:thumbdown:

But it is changing...day by day. :smile:

I am constantly getting things stuck too, but that is EXACTLY what I need to make myself stop. And nothing works better than that, stop dead in your tracks...yeah I am done.lol

[Q. it is so hard to reprogram yourself from the clean your plate days..... but i know i can do it...

Ha ha Ms. Trina I remember the "clean your plate" days well. Not only did my family tell me to clean my plate when I was young but to clean eveyone else's too! I was the skinny! one in my family so my mom would empty the other plates on to mine ...and I'd be a good daughter and finish all the food for her...so no waste!@ No waist now!

You know, if there is a response that really stuck for me, its that you start choosing quality over quantity. The way I went about eating was about getting the most "bang" for my meal. There could be a small item that was absolutely amazing in taste, but if I found a larger plate that may not be as good, I would ALWAYS go for the not so good but bigger. I am only 6 days post op but you definately see that your once bottomless pit is not so bottomless anymore. So I think that its natural to order better tasting, smaller foods now which in the end you will end up enjoying more because your number one goal isnt to eat a whole cow anymore, just the filet mignon part of it:tt2:.

Things have changed so much for me. I've always been able to cook but my husband is on the road more than half the week so I didn't cook much and ate things that were quick and more carbs than I should have been eating. I spend part of my weekends now cooking for the week. I'm experimenting with things that have and add flavor. I must say I am enjoying what I eat much more now. Even though eating healthy usually costs more, no more than I eat I'm saving money at the grocery and not going near as much. I don't like grocery shopping so this is a very good thing. :lol:

Hey Spealex...Congratulations! on getting banded and starting off with a such great attitude! It's people like you that make me know this is a good choice. Keep up posted!

Windy: I am hoping that after I'm banded I will be doing what you all are doing ? I am hoping that my family members will start to feel this way about food also. I am wondering if it rubs off on them. I have a 12 yr old daughter that eats too much and I wonder if my bad habits rubbed off on her. Or is it genetic as she has a huge appetite like her mom and is a not a petite girl. Time will tell I guess.

The feeling of not being "overstuffed" is absolutely wonderful. I have to remember that, when I feel stressed and want some comfort food. But the benefit of being comfortable is so much better then being full to the max. I love my band!

I absolutely still enjoy eating. However, like someone else mentioned, I have found the types of foods I enjoy now are far different than those I enjoyed pre-band. I used to love McDonald's french fry's, now they just taste like giant blobs of grease to me. I eat healthier and am able to actually enjoy the taste of the different foods I eat. I have experimented a lot and am now making many new, healthy meals that I never would have considered before.

Sometimes I get a little annoyed with my band when I am eating something I really enjoy and get my stop sign. But then, I just remind myself that just because I am full now, doesn't mean I will never be able to enjoy this food again. I can have it another day. I don't have to gorge myself with it all in one setting anymore.

Hi Ms Little:

I'm reading your post sitting here feeling very stuffed. Lately as I get older it doesn't take much to make me feel really stuffed and uncomfortable and it's not that I'm eating less and getting smaller it just takes so much less for to make me overweight! I will remember your words when I go to get my loan ugg.