Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody else have a hernia repair at the same time as getting their lap band put in? I didn't know I needed it, but woke up to find out I did and that my doc fixed it.

Did this affect your recovery time/pain, etc.?

I was banded in July and had a hernia repair. I am delighted - no more heartburn meds.....:thumbdown:

i was very happy that my doc fixed mine no more meds been on them for over 10 years for heart burn and its kinda funny but my hubby said i am not soreing

wow your lucky, my doctor stated to me that he wanted to do the lap band first ,wail until I lose wait then fix my hernia?I am still kind of puzzled. He stated that the recovery time would be quicker if I lose the weight first. I haven't done it yet. Still deciding if I really want the band.

Yep me to. I was told about the hernia the Friday before surgery when I had an x-ray. The after surg the DR said he repaired it and explained it should help with the hearburn and all of that stuff. Works for me.

Yep me to. I was told about the hernia the Friday before surgery when I had an x-ray. The after surg the DR said he repaired it and explained it should help with the hearburn and all of that stuff. Works for me.

I had hiatal hernia repair and I think it prolonged the healing period. It was hard to breathe in completely for a while. I had also pulled an abdominal muscle, so it took about 3 weeks to feel almost normal. The days will pass quickly. You will be fine. Just don't lift anything.

I too had a hiatal hernia repair when I got banded. Like Vegasgirl44 posted I felt it prolonged my healing time but was well worth it. I no longer feel nauseated on a daily basis like I had for several years. I wish I had known I had it and got it repaired several years ago.

i was banded 31st aug 08 and also had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time im still quite breathless and this morning i woke with a stitch like pain under my left breast , please could you let me know how long befor we are able to lift and return to work my job involves lifting quite a bit thanks x

I had my surgery on Thursday, June 13, 2008 - and also had a hiatal hernia repaired. Didn't effect my recovery time - I was back to work on Tuesday of the following week.

i was banded 31st aug 08 and also had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time im still quite breathless and this morning i woke with a stitch like pain under my left breast , please could you let me know how long befor we are able to lift and return to work my job involves lifting quite a bit thanks x

I would ask my doc, but in the meantime, don't lift anything over 7-10 lbs...trust me, you will regret it! It took me till the end of week 3 to feel almost normal.

I had my surgery done in Mexico.. They repaired my hiatal hernia at no extra charge! I was able to come off medications I had been on for 20 years! Heartburn is gone! Feels great!

I am in the process of talking to doctors, etc. I have chose a doctor, and applied for financing. The doctor explained to me that 85% of overweight people who have this surgery have a hernia, and dont even know it. So, they suggested that I finance an extra $1500, just in case I need the repair. If not needed, then I can just get the money back. Maybe I am suspicious by nature, but couldnt the doctor just say I had a hernia? Who is there to keep them honest? How do I know I have one if there are no symptoms for most? Does this sound weird to anyone else? I love the doc I have chosen...done massive research...looked him up w/ the TX med board...looked him up on Obesityhelp.com...and, he only charges $9800 for the LapBand, ($11300 if I need the hernia repair, which is still around 2Grand less than almost every other doctor I have researched.) After reading this forum, it seems the hernia is common. My problem is, how do you know the doctor is not just saying you have one, and keeping the extra money? I mentioned to my doctor that no other docs had mentioned this. He said thats how they get you. They dont mention it prior, say they realized you have the hernia while in surgery, and HAVE to repair it or not do the lapband, and then stick you w/ the bill after all is said and done. My doc says he is upfront will all his patients-that this is a real possibility, and to be prepared for the fee and include it w/ the loan so you wont end up with a huge bill after surgery you were not expecting. Any thoughts on this? Sound legit? :cool2:

Gee so sorry you had to pay extra for the hernia surgery. They just did mine and I didn't see any additional charges on my bill. My insurance paid for it all anyway.

My banding date (so far, as am waiting for the results of a very thorough stress test yesterday) is scheduled for 28 October. My hiatal hernia was identified several years ago when I'd had an upper GI test so the doctor already knows it will be an additional process but he says it's only a matter of one or two stitches placed in the appropriate place and it's done. I don't understand or expect additional costs as the surgeon is already in there and is not making additional insisions, etc.

I'm sure there are a lot of good doctors out there that feel the need to charge for every step taken - even if it seems so minor at the time. Best wishes for your procedure.