Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Joanies not so unique weight-loss story

:thumbup: I'm sure you have heard them all and I am also sure that my story is not new or different, so that being said ...here is my story!!!

I was born with a healthy appetite and had to watch my weight from a young age. I remember putting myself on a bread and Water diet in 6th grade. (What did I know about carbs then, haha) I weighed 120lbs when I was 11yrs. old. (I am only 5' tall now) I peeked at 145lbs in 8th grade. ( I felt like a blimp) At the age of 16 I went on a low carb diet and did lose weight, down to 115-120lbs. I maintained this weight (except for a few times I snuck back up to 130, but managed to get it off) through high school and college and my first marriage at 22yrs old. Most of my 20's I kept my weight between 110 and 125 lbs. , but it was an uphill battle at best.

In 1982, at the ripe old age of 28yrs. I moved to Dallas and found myself at 135lbs again, so I joined a health club. I loved what was happening to my body. I was actually doing aerobics 2x a night and weight training. I was a lean 106lbs.

I was hooked, no more fat body for me.....Yeah, right!!!! Two years later while married to my 2nd husband I was back up to 135lbs, then we moved to Beevile to help with his family's ranch and I ballooned up to 165lbs within 3mos. from eating his grandmothers good cooking. I got pregnant a few months later and was at 200lbs when I had my daughter. I lost that weight and was back to 130-140 or so, but alas...it didn't last. Depression saw to it that I gained back up to 200lbs.

I had a friend who was doing Medifast and I decided to try it. I managed to scrape together the money to pay for the dr and shake mix and off came 80lbs. withing a few months. Yippee!!! Back to 122lbs and feeling 10 yrs. younger. (I was now 35-36yrs old.)

But, alas, this too should come to pass as I had to go back on solid food eventually and the fact that my will power sucked, up my weighed soared again....this time I got up to 260lbs. (Keep in mind, I am still only 5' tall, yeah, I was a little porker ) By this time my second husband told me he didn't want to be married to me anymore and , yep, you guessed it....my old friend depression again.

I went to my dr for help in late 1996 and he put me on fastin. It worked, I lost down to 178lbs, and felt great again. Well, my gallbladder picked this time to ask to be taken out and while sitting around the house recouperating I slowly started to gain weight again and was back over 200 before I knew what hit me.

I was at 210lbs when I started dating my 3rd. husband, I even got down to 202 shortly after, but that didn't last since he loved his Snacks at night while watching tv. I was back to 230lbs soon. About 2 yrs later I went on The Six Week program, and lost 28lbs. WhooHoo!!! By the time I got married for the 3rd time I weighed 240lbs. Which is about what I was at in January of 2006 when I joined Curves. Tryed dieting and going to curves till May when I weighed in at the same weight as when I joined I cried right there.

I saw an ad for Dr. Spiegel, in Houston, about a free lapband seminar being held the next day (saturday 5/6/06) and decided then and there I was going. My husband was very supportive and went with me. We agreed it was worth the money and I made the appt. for Monday 5/8/06. Dr Spiegel said I was a good candidate for the lapband so I was scheduled to come back for my preop blood work and ekg on Wednesday 5/10/06 and my surgery Friday 5/12/06. (I was not going through any insurance co. so I didn't have to wait)

Although it hasn't been easy the whole way, It was worth every penny of the $15000 it cost me to have it done. I still have about 20lbs to lose to get to my goal weight of 130, but I know I will make it and that I will keep it off for ever.

I have switched to Dr. Chang in Victoria, Tx. for a few reasons...the first being the fact that I live in Beeville, Tx. (3hrs from Houston and only 1hr from Victoria)

, but more important was the fact that I was pretty much left to fend for myself with Dr. Spiegels office. It was up to me to call them to see if they thought I needed a fill or if I had a problem I had to wait to see him and then it was like I was keeping him from something else. I had to find a dr who would see Joan not a number on his appt sheet. That's where Dr. Chang comes in....:cry_smile:

Dr. Chang makes me feel like I am his only patient for the day and he sets me up with follow-up appts before I leave his office. He's great and I wish I had heard of him first. I am now his patient and I am following his guidelines and I am happy to do it. He treats me as if he has been my surgeon all along.

Well I guess I have gone off the path alittle, but that's my story and I hope it wasn't too long for ya'll. And I hope I didn't leave anything out, since while typing it I had a few interuptions. "Live Long and Prosper" everyone!!!

You are looking great!!! I'm so glad to know this helps women as much as us guys. I've heard alot of griping that men lose so much faster. Sorry!! Alot of us men had alot more to lose and we are all different. Thanks for your story!!

You are looking great!!! I'm so glad to know this helps women as much as us guys. I've heard alot of griping that men lose so much faster. Sorry!! Alot of us men had alot more to lose and we are all different. Thanks for your story!!

Thanks for reading, and best of luck with your weight loss and triathalon wins!! :redface:

You look marvelous!!! I wonder if you would share more ideas. You said you follow his (your Doctors) guidelines, what are they?? I broke my foot a year ago and was in a wheel chair or crutches or a walker for 7 months. When I started walking again (every time I walked) something else would break down. I have been so frustrated this year and have not lost anything. In fact I gained 15lbs because of the wheelchair and crutches stuff. I am so desperate for ideas that I cannot stand it. Please share his guidelines. Thank in advance for your help.

Valerie

If you don't mind can you tell me how much Dr. Chang cost if I'm paying cash. Thanks

Actually, Dr Chang recently sent out flyers about having a lapband sale...so to speak! haha!!! Anyway, $13000 I believe is what he was charging cash pay patients.

I had my surgery done in Houston by Dr. Spiegel in May '06 and it cost me $15000. ($6000 for him and $9000 for the surgi-center)

I didn't shop around for a surgeon, I jumped at the first one I saw, but I trust that Dr. Spiegel did a great job, and I am equally as happy with finding Dr. Chang now, so I don't have to take that long drive to Houston. When I saw Dr. Chang for the 1st time it cost me $260 I think and the last visit was $65. I know he charges more than $100 for fills, but haven't had him do one yet, so not sure exactly how much.

Hope I didn't scare you with the money talk, but trust me, it is worth every penny!

Joanie :unsure:)

Congrats on your success. May you continue the journey towards your goal. You look great!!!

Hi Joanie, I really loved reading your story. I too am 5 feet tall. I've been wishing that there would be more positive, hopeful and helpful stories, and then found out that this thread had been started. I'm going to save all the stories to help me. My surgery was scheduled for Aug. 12 but cancelled the evening prior because there was some question about slow motility of my esophagus. But I have had that checked and it is normal, so I'm hoping that my surgery will be rescheduled within a week or two.

I just wanted to let you know how much I liked hearing about your life. And I'm so happy to know you.

Betty Dilley

Germantown, TN

Well, I read your story again and it really really has helped me. I now have a new surgery date for Tuesday, Sept. 30th. Do you have any pictures posted?

Thanks so much and you have no idea how good it makes me feel that my story has helped someone. I do have some pictures posted, if you go to my page I think you can find them or go to before and after pics...I'm in there.

I wish you the best of luck on your surgery Tuesday:thumbup:, and can't wait to see your progress. Please keep me posted.

Joanie :lol:)