Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Awesome Journey

My journey began about a year and a half ago. I had seen several people I work with have the gastric bypass and was always scared of the complications and results. I had heard about the lapband and decided to research it.

After spending several weeks researching it I bit the bullet and made an appointment for an information class. After the class I was torn between the gastric bypass and lapband. I once again researched the band and told myself why I was choosing it in the first place. I filled out my paperwork and turned it in. Soon I was approved through insurance and my journey really began.

On September 28, 2007 I had surgery and have never looked back since. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself! On March 4, 2008 my husband also had lapband surgery and we are now much healthier and happier. It has also helped our young sons with their weight control.

I am now 105 pounds down and feel like a new woman!! I exercise five (5) days a week faithfully and my energy level is through the roof. It is still a struggle to stay away from certain foods I have always loved, but carbonated beverages, bread, rice and Pasta I have not touched in almost a year. It is unbelievable but I do not miss it a bit.

I have read the horror stories and please realize this is only one person's story. Do not let the negatives get you down. I know you have to weigh all your options, but I have not had any complications nor has my husband. I am healthier and happier. Plus everyone says I look 10 years younger!

Edited by hestie

Thanks for posting your story. I was banded over a year ago, lost 50 lbs. the first 8-9 months and have since gained back about 15. I've been getting really discouraged. I don't need a band fill, I can't keep much food down and don't overeat. But I have a cyst in my left knee that has kept me out of the gym. Now I'm back to the low stamina state. Any advice?

Nicely done, girlfriend! You look great, and you're right - you look younger! I'm hoping for similar results...

Thanks for sharing your story!:thumbup:

Hi There thanks for the encouragement. You will have same results Just keep a positive attitude and remember keep thinking in your mind nothing tastes a good as thin looks. 105 pounds down wow fantastic keep up the good work yopu look great!!! Hugs Bobie

Edited by Midnite_Lady

Exercise does help, but with the cyst on your knee you may be limited. I would definitely check to see what you may be able to do. You can lift weights while achieving cardio with more reps and a lighter weight, this may be an option. Also when I plateau making sure I get in all my Water consumption really helps kick it back in gear. Good luck!

Thank you for your honesty! I have been researching Lap Band after every other diet in the world has not worked. I just called for an appointment so I am on my way. I did a pre-screening with Cigna and it will be covered by insurance because of some other health related issues. You are an inspiration to me! Thanks Again

Thanks for posting your story. I was banded over a year ago, lost 50 lbs. the first 8-9 months and have since gained back about 15. I've been getting really discouraged. I don't need a band fill, I can't keep much food down and don't overeat. But I have a cyst in my left knee that has kept me out of the gym. Now I'm back to the low stamina state. Any advice?

Yes! I also have a Baker's cyst, and have had 2 knee surgery and had my miniscus removed. the nest step is knee replacement, and my other knee has suffered also and I have ruptured discs in my back. My doc wrote me a script for aqua therapy (pool) and i go twice a week. I was banded on june 9, 2008, and have lost 50lbs. ask your doc and my insurance covers maybe yours will too...good luck

Congrats! You look great and I imagine you feel great as well. I am still in the pre-diet stage but my day will also come and hopefully I look and feel better also. GOOD JOB:thumbup:

:thumbup:You look fantastic! You look more than ten years younger, you look like a younger daughter!! Keep up the great work and Congrats!!

Laurie

For the woman who has the cyst, I too have a baker's cyst and tore my ACL.... are you going for physical therapy. I am doing some of the exercises they recommended on the machines at Bally's and now up to walking 45-60 minutes{on the treadmill at 2.5 Only} It has been a very slow and painful recovery process but i am thankful to God that i can do what i can do, if you know what i mean....Hang in there, it takes a long time but with strengthening the muscles around the knee and just working it ... ohyeah and plenty of BenGay! it will get better!!