Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success is how you see it!

If you are considering Lap-Band, did you find this review helpful?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you are considering Lap-Band, did you find this review helpful?

Okay, here we go, my story. :lol:

I've been over it time and time again in my head now to write it out. I was always overweight, in high school I was on the swim team, and the hard workouts kept the 200's at bay (I weighed 170 then). But once I graduated and left exercising for Culinary school the pounds started to grow! Before I knew it I was 280. :lol:

Well I worked hard and did everything I could think of (metabolife included), but I never got below 250. But I was happy there, it didn't get in my way and I was an semi-active coed. I found a supportive doctor who did not beat me down for being obese, but share my risk factors and encourage me to help myself. Because of him, I walked everywhere on campus. I could have jumped on the shuttle, it stopped right outside of my dorm room, but I needed to do this for myself. I did lose a little weight in the 6 months between visits and was congratulated me on my progress. That weight didn't stay gone long though... I needed to pay bills when I decided to move off campus so I took a job at a line chef at a fancy downtown Italian restaurant. When that started to tire me, I was off to wait tables at another restaurant... I was doing whatever it took and my health suffered for it. When I found a non-food line of work, I started dieting with my roommate and hitting the gym, hard. But the only time I saw any progress was the 25 lbs I lost on the Atkins diet, which of course was only temporary.

I'll move forward to the time where Weight Watchers (and other diets) failed me and my fluctuating weight was contributing to a slow metabolism. To lose anything I had to starve myself and spend 2 hours a day in the gym. I had other obligations that were being ignored (I worked until 11 PM and was not getting home until 2 AM). I was having fertility issues and my husband and I were desperate to have children. After realizing that I had a thyroid problem, and talking with my ob/gyn about the fertility problems, she told me that the hormonal imbalance had to be fixed and she would not help me until I lost 15% of my body weight. At my new high of 315 this was only 47 lbs, but I couldn't maintain a 15 lb loss. I asked her how and laid out what it was taking for me to drop the slightest bit of weight and she told me to go to Weight Watchers. Infuriated with this answer, I went to a new PCP who looked over my food log and could see my frustration. He suggested that I consider Lap-Band and told me that when I was ready he would refer me to a surgeon. I went to a seminar at a surgery center a friend recommended. He had his surgery done by one of the doctors in the group, but I was determined to not have surgery. I could do this on my own, right?:lol:

A week later we were off to Grand Cayman for our yearly vacation. I was still considering surgery, but it wasn't in the forefront of my mind. My husband is an avid photographer and I didn't like for him to take my picture, but we were on vacation. So after a day of swimming, I sat on the sea wall about to go back up to the condo when I let him snap a shot of me. It was a beautiful day and I couldn't look that bad?!?!?!:eek: Well we downloaded the pictures when he came upstairs and I decided I couldn't fool myself any longer. The day we got home, I called my PCP. Within a week I was in to see Dr. Smith, the Nutritionist and had my psychological screening. I scheduled my surgery the day of my visits, for about 3 weeks later.

Well on my surgery day, I was proud to see I lost 15 lbs on my pre-surgery diet. I will not say it has been easy, but it seems like the pounds melted off. It took a while to adjust to the new eating style. It was different to say the least, but I can eat pretty much anything I like just in MUCH smaller portions (I even had pizza at the mall for lunch today). By Christmas I was 250. I decided then and there, if I NEVER lost another pound I would be satisfied. In mid-April, I was 220 and ecstatic. Now I finally weigh less than my husband and still have about another 45 pounds to go to my goal. This last month has been slow progress, but at this point in my life, slow progress is wonderfully accepted.

I went from a size 26/28 to a 12/14 and I cannot wait to see how much more I've got to go! I keep an online photo diary and even I cannot believe the progress. Its been a life long battle, but I'm glad to finally be on the winning (or should I say losing:lol:) side. :)

Photo Diary is here: The Photos of Jonathan & Hilliary Lalor- powered by SmugMug

What a story! Thank you Hillary, for posting your story and the awesome photos. I love the morph effect - I think I'll use that for mine when the time comes!

I have my psych eval this week and nutritionist next week - hopefully I'll get scheduled soon so I can start my own journey!

Great job, girlfriend!:thumbup:

HI HILARY,

I JUST WANT TO SAY I AM SO PROUD OF YOU AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU. JUST READING YOUR STORY AND VIEWING YOUR PICTURES IS SUCH AN INSPIRATION TO ME. I WAS BANDED ON SEPT 4, 08 AND HAVE LOST ONLY 22LBS. I WAS GETTING SO VERY DISCOURAGED. I WORK OUT 5-6 DAYS A WK AND AM PRETTY GOOD WITH MY EATING. CAN'T SEEM TO BREAK THIS PLATEAU. BUT I'M GOING TO KEEP TRYING

GOD BLESS:thumbup:

Hi Hilary,

You look fantastic!! Way to go!!! Can't wait to look as good as you soon!! :mad:)

Amazing, well done your an inspiration. I'm over half way to my goal and stories like this keep me going :w00t:

Hi Hilary,

I'm about 7 months out and have lost almost 60 pounds. I loved reading your story because of the way you told it as well as the inspiration. Thank you!

Debbie

Hillary - just found your "success story" and I'm so impressed. You sound like you have the absolute right attitude. Your weight loss has been fantastic. And best of all, (when I looked at your pictures) it sounds like you've got a fantastic husband who loved you when you were heavy and loves you now. How great is that??

Congratulations on the fabulous job!

Great story! Like you, swim team kept me under 200 in college... since then I have to literally train for marathons in order to lose weight through exercise (even when eating well.) I'm hoping my band will give me the edge to do what you did!!