Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personally..... I can't stand artificial sweetner of any kind. It gives me terrible head aches. I dislike the aftertaste, and I personally think it's poison. I've read way to many bad things about it. Plus, it tricks your body into releasing insulin. Your tongue doesn't know the difference between real and artificial. The same signal is sent to the brain, to activate an insulin response. When there is nothing there to process, it puts a strain on the body. Eventually you become insulin resisitant. I'm sorry.... but that's just not good for you. I avoid it like the plague. So if I want something sweet, I usually reach for a piece of fruit. On special occasions, I go ahead and eat the real sugar treat. I just severely rectrict my portion. A 2" square of cake is more than enough to feel included, taste it and keep the calories down. In things like tea and coffee, I'm learning to do without it. I usually just drink Water.< /p>

I agree with Aubrie, artificial sweeteners are poison! I too get ragin' headaches:cursing: especially with Splenda or sucralose. I just usually use the regular stuff, but less of it. I do use xylitol(a natural sweetener) in my iced tea. If I use to much it sends me to the bathroom:crying:, but other than that it's tolerable and doesn't have an aftertaste.

I responded to your other post too... Sugar doesn't affect the band. RnY patients get dumping syndrome from sugar, so they shouldn't eat it.

As anyone losing weight, you should try to limit or cut out sugar.

I responded to your other post too... Sugar doesn't affect the band. RnY patients get dumping syndrome from sugar, so they shouldn't eat it.

As anyone losing weight, you should try to limit or cut out sugar.

yea my pain reason for asking the question is my doc is sooo against sugar like its arsenic :tongue2:

but im hypoglycemic it doesn't make alotta sense for me to give up sugar

I have not given up sugar nor did my doctor ask me to. I do not eat it all of the time and do not deny myself a guilty pleasure every now and then.

yea my pain reason for asking the question is my doc is sooo against sugar like its arsenic :tongue2:

but im hypoglycemic it doesn't make alotta sense for me to give up sugar

I'm not too familiar with that, but isn't there a list your PCP surely has discussed with you on GOOD sugars (Fruit for example) vs. BAD sugars (Table sugar)? Terms like fructose and sucralose (I admit, I don't pay attention well when I hear these terms to remember which is worse).

You should eat good sugars.. like fruit.< /p>

Don't eat candy bars.

Blah blah blah.

I'm not too familiar with that, but isn't there a list your PCP surely has discussed with you on GOOD sugars (Fruit for example) vs. BAD sugars (Table sugar)? Terms like fructose and sucralose (I admit, I don't pay attention well when I hear these terms to remember which is worse).

You should eat good sugars.. like fruit.< /p>

Don't eat candy bars.

Blah blah blah.

my surgeon is trying to get me to cut out organic applesauce... witch reminds me i need to make another post.. table sugar what is that ...lol i haven't used that in years...candy... thats the reason my dentist is about to own a yacht... so i already stay away from candy......(most of the time)... but hypoglycemia is when your body produces way too much insulin and at times you blood glocose can go fron like 190 to 30.

More than likely your surgeon will probably alter your diet to 6 small meals a day, rather than the standard three with no Snacks. That will keep your blood sugar consistant throughout the day, so your sugar levels don't bottom out. You can be successful, you just have to approach it a little differently.

I dont have a very sugary diet, but I do occasionally like a bit of chocolate or something. I do still have a tendency to overeat those foods when I eat them, but it isnt very often and doesnt have any effect on my weight.

I do eat a carb based diet - although I eat the wholegrain, non sugary carbs, not the white processed ones apart from an occasional treat.

Low carb doesnt work for me, I feel awful, I look awful, my running ability suffers majorly (no energy at all) and I always always end up having major binges due to deprivation and sheer need of energy.

I dont use any SF products, if I'm going to have something sweet, I have the sugar and account for it. I do have a glass of wine a few times a week which is sugar too I guess.

After I was banded, I changed our families lifestyle. The only sugar we have in the house is hubby's soda (can't get him to quit that) and I let him and my daughter pick out their favorite cereals.

I even try to buy low or no sugar foods. I just wish I could buy some items in the same sizes that I used to be able to get in regular foods, i.e. low sugar ketchup is a small bottle, I used to buy a huge bottle and it would last forever.

The only time I have sugar is TOM, i have to have my dark chocolate. But its usually one small square or so.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when you're hypoglycaemic you need to keep your blood sugar stable and level as its prone to dropping. That means you need to eat regularly and to eat things that will keep your blood sugar level - Protein and low GI carbs. Eating something high GI or very sugary will give you the classic sugar high followed by crashing low, and you eat sugar when you are low to bring you back up.

So proper eating should prevent bad hypoglycaemic episodes - and proper eating means avoiding sugar, yes? It means oats for Breakfast over fruit loops?

Or am I completely wrong?

Jackie,

Sorry to go off topic here a bit, but I am curious as to how much you run a week. I do 30 minutes in the morning and try to get 30 minutes in the afternoon as well. I know that running is so important to weight loss, and you have been so successful with both, just hoping you would'nt mind sharing your workout.

Thanks

Tracy:lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong but when you're hypoglycaemic you need to keep your blood sugar stable and level as its prone to dropping. That means you need to eat regularly and to eat things that will keep your blood sugar level - Protein and low GI carbs. Eating something high GI or very sugary will give you the classic sugar high followed by crashing low, and you eat sugar when you are low to bring you back up.

So proper eating should prevent bad hypoglycaemic episodes - and proper eating means avoiding sugar, yes? It means oats for Breakfast over fruit loops?

Or am I completely wrong?

no you are right ... thats why for the most part i have been altering what my doctor tells me about my dies... weather hes just too busy of hes just not paying attention.