Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band - don't do it!! Scarred for life

Guest Leslie2Lose

Melolo - A troll is someone that is out looking to make trouble on forums. There is no fact to what they are saying. That's why I called this person a troll. I just don't know if I believe everything that is said. I think it is completely fair.

Oh yeah!

By the way. I was banded August 4, 08. I've had some discomfort. You know what I don't blame the band because of two reasons... when I feel discomfort I know I'm doing something wrong whether it's eating or drinking too fast. It also could be I'm eating too much. The second reason why I don't blame the band because I did my research for 3 years and I address all my questions and concerns to my doctor before surgery. THAT'S WHAT RESPONSIBLE BIG GIRLS AND BOY DO! No pun intended.:thumbup:

I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, and extenuating circumstances do occur, but the one constant I find again and again - to be successful with the band, follow the guidelines!

I hope and pray that I do not encounter any problems down the road when I get banded, but you can bet your life that I will be following every guideline, and taking the advice that I learn on here and putting it to good use. But it's good to know that if (God forbid) any complications arise - LB is totally removable! That's a big reason I'm doing this surgery instead of any others. Try that with bypass, it won't work so well...

Troll or not, I'm getting banded no matter what it takes!!! :thumbup:

Good for you Kellster!

I feel a little sorry for her because she sounds like someone took a gun to her head and force the Lap Band in her body. And I can't understand any person not taking responsibility for their own failure...as if the Lap Band formed a pair of lips and talked her into eating ice cream, chocolate, and cheetos for the past three years. I wonder why she got the band to begin with because now her claim is that she is loosing weight on her own. Then if that is the case why didn't you just do that from the beginning.

She's angry because she failed. Angry people lash out. I guess it's better for her to lash out here rather than do something harmful to herself or someone else.

Well, I had a friend who was bullemic for several years and her teeth did not fall out.. lol. And she vommitted a lot and it was real vomit unlike what we do when we get stuck, slime, or PB (vomit). Here's the thing, when we bring food up, it isn't mixed with the acids in our stomachs, correct.. It is stuff that didn't make it through the pouch for whatever reason, therefore does not contain stomach acid which would cause our teeth to rot or get damaged, therefore what she said is a complete lie. Even if we did throw up like normal people did with all that stomach acid, it would take a reallllyyyyy long time for it to affect our teeth and even then, it would only destroy a little of the enamel on the inside area.

I think some people post stuff just to get a rise out of us and watch the true lapbanders defend their precious little band.. they get a kick out of it. When somebody truly has a problem with thier band, we can tell and we support them. Most of the time it's stuff that can be fixed luckily but every now and again out of the thousands and thousands of people who have been banded there are some who didn't follow the guidelines or had shady doctors who truly messed up. Both of these can be remedied by picking a reputable doctor and following the rules.

I think she's a troll because she has not even responded to what anyone has said. If she were for real, she would have posted something back.

At least I learned something new.... definition of TROLL. :thumbup:

- i had the worthless lapband removed months ago

i no longer throw up - at all - after 3+ years of doing it daily

my hair's growing back - it isn't lack of Protein - it's restricting the most oxygen rich organ in your body

i am pain free - the stupid doctor placed the port up against my ribs and wouldn't fix it because 'he's never had a complaint before'

i can eat in public again -

i can go out again

i survived for three years on cheetos, chocolate and ice cream - the only foods i didn't throw up from - i hated them all

i am now back on a healthy diet and have lost more weight in the last four months than i did in 3 years with the lapband

my blood pressure is back to normal - they were getting ready to place me on bp meds for life

thank god i've only lost 2 teeth to the constant throwing up - i've met others who have lost them all

my belly looks like i've been clawed with-in an inch of my life by a bear

think before you do it - you're surgically implanting foriegn objects into your body - as you lose weight - the port starts to be a protruding bump

i could go on - but who's going to read this anyway

How long did it take before you felt like "normal" again after it was removed? Also are there other issues besides the scaring? Sorry you went through this as you are not alone. Hope you're doing better, Nancy.:thumbup:

First of all - I lost a total of (60 on, 63 off) 123 pounds - second, when you throw up for 3 years, the acid eats away the enamel to the back of your teeth, if you're throwing up on a daily basis, then you NEED to see your dentist - third, the ONLY food that I did not throw up was the cheetos, chocolate and the ice cream (I did not say I subsided on those only).......how did I figure that out? I didn't, I read the posts in this forum and others, that's how I found out these are the three foods you don't throw up.

You people need to READ some of the other posts in this forum - are you blind?!

Oh - and the reason I didn't reply right away??? Since I've had the lapband removed - I HAVE A LIFE -

There are 100s if not 1000s of posts, just in this forum ALONE, from people who are miserable and trying to figure out why, and trying to get help, for their vomiting, spastic stomachs, lack of sleep, port pain, bad reactions to the lidocane shots for the fills, bands that have slipped, bands that have deteriorated, bands that have failed, ports that are in the wrong place, ports that have leaked, ports that have traveled abcesses in their stomachs, bands that have worn through their stomachs - people who've been taking protien for their hair loss, and it doesn't work, people who have rashes, people who's social life is zero because of vomiting, people who carry 'vomit cans' around the house - and ad nauseum!!

Before you question my experience, drag me through the dirt, call me names - take a good look at whats going on - just in this forum - and if the lapband is SO "JOYFUL" (yeah, right) why are SO many people having them removed? Why are there SO many miserable people? The complaints outweigh the non complaints by over 100 to one - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out folks.

We've been sold a 'bill of goods' - and we're swallowing it - and chewing, chewing, chewing and STILL throwing up.

There is no one so blind as they who will not 'see'

If just ONE person doesn't get a lapband, because of this post - thank you GOD!

Edited by LAPBANDFREE
addition

I guess my question would have to be this:

If you were having trouble, why not drink Protein shakes and pureed healthy foods instead of junk? From what I have read on here (I am still pre-banded), I would quess that you needed to get unfilled and start from scratch rather than just trashing the whole thing.

Sounds to me like a situation where you and your doctor were probably not communicating well. Perhaps a doctor change would have corrected the problem.

I do know that one person's opinion should be expressed as just that, an opinion. In MY opinion, you should never try to dissuade EVERYONE from having the band because you had a bad experience.

First of all - I lost a total of (60 on, 63 off) 123 pounds - second, when you throw up for 3 years, the acid eats away the enamel to the back of your teeth, if you're throwing up on a daily basis, then you NEED to see your dentist - third, the ONLY food that I did not throw up was the cheetos, chocolate and the ice cream (I did not say I subsided on those only).......how did I figure that out? I didn't, I read the posts in this forum and others, that's how I found out these are the three foods you don't throw up.

You people need to READ some of the other posts in this forum - are you blind?!

Oh - and the reason I didn't reply right away??? Since I've had the lapband removed - I HAVE A LIFE -

There are 100s if not 1000s of posts, just in this forum ALONE, from people who are miserable and trying to figure out why, and trying to get help, for their vomiting, spastic stomachs, lack of sleep, port pain, bad reactions to the lidocane shots for the fills, bands that have slipped, bands that have deteriorated, bands that have failed, ports that are in the wrong place, ports that have leaked, ports that have traveled abcesses in their stomachs, bands that have worn through their stomachs - people who've been taking protien for their hair loss, and it doesn't work, people who have rashes, people who's social life is zero because of vomiting, people who carry 'vomit cans' around the house - and ad nauseum!!

Before you question my experience, drag me through the dirt, call me names - take a good look at whats going on - just in this forum - and if the lapband is SO "JOYFUL" (yeah, right) why are SO many people having them removed? Why are there SO many miserable people? The complaints outweigh the non complaints by over 100 to one - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out folks.

We've been sold a 'bill of goods' - and we're swallowing it - and chewing, chewing, chewing and STILL throwing up.

There is no one so blind as they who will not 'see'

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVYXk_ZPis8]YouTube - The Failed Lap Band:10 Years Later[/ame]

go here - I rest my case - have a nice life, I am :thumbup: (I think I will go meet some friends and have some salad and tea) - OH...and NOT throw up! OR have pain while it's going down - OR - well ... you get the idea

How long did it take before you felt like "normal" again after it was removed? Also are there other issues besides the scaring? Sorry you went through this as you are not alone. Hope you're doing better, Nancy.:thumbup:

Hi - I felt pretty much normal right away - after the post operative pain and swelling was gone, other than the scarring, there are no other issues. Good luck to you!

What if that ONE person you dissuaded is one that could be dead inside of 5 years from cardiac/diabetic complications. That was me 12.5 months ago...would you say I was better off staying fat and dying before I'm 50 than POSSIBLY encountering problems such as you've had?

Sounds to me like IN SPITE OF the band, you lost weight and are still here to tell the tale. The person you convince to NOT get banded might not have any complications at all.

That would be like me telling someone to not get in a car, because "I" have been in two serious car wrecks. "Better to walk down the shoulder than to get in a car that might crash like mine did!" That would be irresponsible of me knowing full well the person is at greater risk of being hit and killed trudging down the side of the road than riding in a car.