Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band - don't do it!! Scarred for life

- i had the worthless lapband removed months ago

i no longer throw up - at all - after 3+ years of doing it daily

my hair's growing back - it isn't lack of Protein - it's restricting the most oxygen rich organ in your body

i am pain free - the stupid doctor placed the port up against my ribs and wouldn't fix it because 'he's never had a complaint before'

i can eat in public again -

i can go out again

i survived for three years on cheetos, chocolate and ice cream - the only foods i didn't throw up from - i hated them all

i am now back on a healthy diet and have lost more weight in the last four months than i did in 3 years with the lapband

my blood pressure is back to normal - they were getting ready to place me on bp meds for life

thank god i've only lost 2 teeth to the constant throwing up - i've met others who have lost them all

my belly looks like i've been clawed with-in an inch of my life by a bear

think before you do it - you're surgically implanting foriegn objects into your body - as you lose weight - the port starts to be a protruding bump

i could go on - but who's going to read this anyway

I am sorry that your experience is not as joyful as some others, HOWEVER don't speak for EVERYONE. This is a place for people that are willing to share there experiences good and bad but not nasty!!!

Don't come here and speak for everyone - only for yourself.

I might be a newbie when it comes to the band only having it in since Aug 12 of this year but I have lost weight and felt great!

So far I have lost about 25 lbs since the day of surgery. It sounds to me like you had a bad Doctor to be honest. Did you do enough research on your surgeon before choosing him/her?

Most ports are located on the left side about 6 inches or so under your left breast. NOT in the ribs.

Of course you didn't loose much weight eating only junk food... who looses weight eating ice cream and cheese doodles? LOL

Malnutrition is the lack of sufficient nutrients to maintain healthy bodily functions. As a result you lost your hair and possibly had discolored skin tones and bad nails.

With the lapband THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN OFTEN!!!

Everyone should fully research the surgeon before choosing him/her.

I'm sorry you and your band didn't get along. I'm not saying anything against you but the only time I hear that people are throwing up all the time is that they don't chew their food good, they try to eat more than they should and drink while eating.

I had my band for 2 years and only threw up 2 times and after I figured out it was because of the reasons I stated above I learned my lesson and started eating right. Aug. 4th 08 I had to remove my band because it was eroded and I am hoping that I can keep the weight off that I lost. I'm hoping that after all this time I have learned how to eat and not just pig out and plus I still have the band but only in my mind.

I'm glad that your life is better without your band and I wish you good luck in the future.

Yup, sorry you didn't like it..

But I don't think your view is a popular consensus that everyone should base their decision off of "Don't do it!".

I completely, 100% disagree.. band saved my life, and I love it.

I'm sorry you had such an unfortunate experience. But I think it's unfair to the 99% of people who WOULDN'T have that same experience to encourage them away from what might be the best thing that ever happened to them.

I just hope they don't stop with reading of your bad experiences and read the many hundreds of GREAT band experiences. Meanwhile, I hope you continue to get healthy in whatever fashion you are able to and I hope that doctor of yours is smarter with the next patient who has difficulties.

God bless.

i survived for three years on cheetos, chocolate and ice cream - the only foods i didn't throw up from - i hated them all

Even with your difficulties, I find it hard to believe that you couldn't find anything more acceptable than "cheetos, chocolate and ice cream". It's not wonder you didn't feel successful.

Wow, you lost teeth? I've never heard of anybody on here losing teeth and yet you know of others who've lost teeth as well? If this really happened to you, then you are not very educated on the ways of the band and you probably should have done more research.

I never threw up until after being banded for 5 months and I got stressed about something. For a week I watched what would happen and threw up a few times and felt really tight.. when I realized it was not going to unswell, I immediately went to get an unfill. Bam, never threw up again...

It is not the bands fault that you were not responsible enough to get an unfill or switch doctors. But you know, even when I was throwing up I was able to get apple sauce, chili, Soups, Protein shakes and other good things down. I didn't have to eat crap foods. So, it sounds like you didn't do enough investigating and perhaps you should have joined this forum way back then instead of after the fact. I wish I could say sorry, but I can't. You didn't follow the band rules..

I agree with CoolChrystal about not eating so much junk but eating better food for you. Before I had my band removed the Dr.s thought it was just my gall bladder and I figured out that if I didn't eat I didn't hurt and found out that ice cream went down really well but I also made sure I got in Protein mixed in milk even thought I also put choc. Syrup in it I was getting something good in my body.

It's all in how you look at things -

DO YOU WANT TO TRY TO MAKE THINGS BETTER OR JUST SAY THE HELL WITH IT AND COMPLAIN ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME AND KEEP DOING BAD THINGS TO YOUR BODY. EVERYONE has a choice in the matter.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I Smell A Troll?

Edited by Leslie2Lose
Decided not to get involved in the drama.

Troll sounds right to me, a fearmonger at that.

But the teeth falling out, is really weird thing to say. I guess it could happen, but teeth falling out from 'throwing up' is because of the acids in your stomach. Normal "PB"ing, does not bring up acids, just food that has not gone through the band. If it was acidic enough to rot out 2 teeth, I would imagine the band was misplaced, too tight, slipped, etc... and a lot of your complaints sound like DOCTOR complaints, who did not educate you or help you utilize your tool, if anything else neglected to help you.

But I really resent the fearmongering for people who are looking for information on the band to find such a thing, and take it as "This is how bands work, DON'T DO IT". - This is NOT what the band is about.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I decided to get involved.

For anyone looking to be banded - Don't ever take one persons opinion as fact. Education yourself and form your own opinions.

My opinion: The majority of what the OP (original poster) wrote is Bull-Sh**! There is some truth there but the majority of it is crap.

Don't come here and speak for everyone - only for yourself.

I might be a newbie when it comes to the band only having it in since Aug 12 of this year but I have lost weight and felt great!

So far I have lost about 25 lbs since the day of surgery. It sounds to me like you had a bad Doctor to be honest. Did you do enough research on your surgeon before choosing him/her?

Most ports are located on the left side about 6 inches or so under your left breast. NOT in the ribs.

Of course you didn't loose much weight eating only junk food... who looses weight eating ice cream and cheese doodles? LOL

Malnutrition is the lack of sufficient nutrients to maintain healthy bodily functions. As a result you lost your hair and possibly had discolored skin tones and bad nails.

With the lapband THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN OFTEN!!!

Everyone should fully research the surgeon before choosing him/her.

WELL SAID :thumbup:

Hey!

You know what I was getting ready to ask the same thing. Why would you choose ice cream, chocolate and cheetos to eat instead of more healthier soft foods? Why didn't you go to your doctor when having these difficulties. It would have been worth the doc. visit considering the expense and time I'm sure you invested when getting the band. Did you have the correct mind set when you decided to get the Lap Band or did you set yourself up for failure. Why did you loose your hair... were you taking your Vitamins and supplements. Did you exercise during those three years. Did you have a psych evaluation? Did you ask your doctor about any and everything regarding the Lap band. DO YOU TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE FAILURE OF YOUR LAP BAND EXPERIENCE:mellow:

I don't think it's fair that they call you a troll but I can see there point you do sound a little ridiculous. But I do wish you the very best in your new weightloss journey. I hope you are making healthier decisions when it comes to your eating. And I wish you peace in your mind and life.:thumbup: