Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does neck "gas" pain last after surgery?

I am 11 days post-op and still get severe left neck ("gas") pain at least once a day, usually in the evening. Within 30 minutes of taking 5mg of oxycodone/acetominophen liquid, the pain is completely relieved. How long should I expect to be having the neck (gas) pain? Otherwise, I'm doing great. Thanks for any insight you might have!

yiya

Surgery: 8/22/08

Dr Moeinolmolki

Baltimore, MD

220/216/199/165

Highest weight/surgery/current/goal

Height: 5'6"

I never had neck pain, but I sure did have shoulder pain. It took 2 weeks for it to go away. I have been symptom free now for about 4 days. It will go away.

Mine quit after about 2 weeks. I never took pain killers for it though...mine wasn't that bad apparently. It's "referred" pain from your diaphragm...and mine would happen after I exercised and breathed hard. It would go away after about 10-15 min

GasX strips and getting up and walking around for a few minutes helped. I wonder why your on strong painkillers 11 days after surgery. You should be off them by now. I only had the liquid stuff for 3 days supply. Wean yourself off it and take extra strength Tylenol. Good luck.

The pain in your neck isn't from gas, it's referred pain from the trauma to your stomache. It will go away gradually and figure it to be gone once you're ready to transition to solids.

Tylenol is probably the best solution.

My pain is was/is in my shoulders also. I'm 5 1/2 weeks out and if I drink cold things too fast the pains there. standing and walking around helps. it doesn't last long but I still have it after 5 1/2 weeks

Thanks, the information is a HUGE help!!! I had a hiatal hernia removed the size of a softball! For 2 1/2 years I have thrown up everything I ate. I could never tolerate a fill. I finally found out that this giant hernia was causing the problem. Maybe I can start eating again! Anyway, my pain in my left shoulder can actually knock me to my knees. I am usually good with pain. I was in the hospital for three days with this procedure, and didn't take any pain killers. However, my left shoulder is a different story. I never thought that it could be gas pain several weeks after surgery!!! I hope this is the key. I am ready to get well, and begin losing weight again. Hopefully the lap band does work!