Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone from the dallas/forth worth area

hi

well i am looking to find someone to buddy up with i currently live in keller texas pretty much in forth worth and i have gotten banded on july 3rd 2008 and have lost about 36 lbs and excited about losing more. i would really enjoy talking and meeting with other people like me in this area to exchange info and make new friends since i have only been here for about 6 months and really dont know anyone. so if anyone is out there that would like to make a new friend and share experiences with send me a message.

Karen,

I live in Arlington and I would love to be able to help in any way that I can. I am an old timer though with the band. I have been banded since Nov. of 2005 and I have been maintaining my weight loss for 2 years. You are really new at this and I know some things have changed as I have seen it at support group meetings that I have gone to. I just try to keep quiet though and hope that I am able to help out if possible.

Dr. Snow is my doctor and I see him now every 6 months. I had to graduate to that and it was very hard. I still distrust myself and think that I will go backwards as I have always allowed in my lifetime of weight loss but I am getting stronger every day. It got easier to say and believe that I can't take another bite.

I am very strict with myself though because I finally made up my mind that I wasn't going to allow food to run my life anymore and I eat healthy food now and believe it or not I enjoy it.

Josephine

josephine,

thanks for your reply. i dont know about the old timer part but i do know that with being banded for the past 3 years it only makes you wiser. i appreciate you willing to help me out and im sure we will enjoy future conversations together. i did my surgery in austin texas so i really dont know much about any of the support groups around here and if im even able to go to them. i still go to austin on a monthly appointment which i wish i had a doctor here but i think i made the right choice with the doctor i picked. will be talking to you soon

karen

Hi! I live in Fort Worth. I'm still a "newbie" I suppose as I was banded in April, but I've learned a lot in these 4 1/2 months. I looking forward to getting to know you guys and if I can answer any question you might have, I'd be happy to.

Karen and Bea,

The two of you have done so well. I hope the road hasn't been too tough on either of you. I can remember when I told my husband that it would be a long journey and it would probably take me a good year to lose the 106 that I had to and oddly enough it took me 8 months. After my surgery though I didn't crave food or even certain foods for that matter. Now I totally enjoy what I am eating because I give myself the chance to eat it slow enough to be able to taste what I am eating. I get the eating thing now and it isn't hard for me anymore. My toughest battle though is the smell of fast food. I have an addiction and i haven't eaten that type food since my surgery but I still have an addiction to that food, the smell of it. Not one food in my lifetime have a ever gotten sick with and I sure wish it would have been that food.

Josephine

Keep up the good work you two!

Edited by josephine
spelling

Hey Josephine! Thanks for the words of wisdom. My weight loss has slowed down the last month or so, partly my fault. It was summer and I did what I wanted and didn't exercise like I should have. I'm back on track and am loosing again. Even though I haven't lost a ton of weight, I've lost a lot of inches. I've lost 6.5 inches off my waist alone. So I'm pretty happy with my progress.

I too have lost a lot of my cravings. Certain foods just don't appeal to me anymore and still others are not worth the effort it would require to actually eat them. I'm eating as healthy as I can and enjoying life. I'm working on a nursing degree and I am currently taking two phys ed classes, regular P.E. and weight training. It's cheaper than a personal trainer and I have to go since it's my grade. I think it will really quick my weight loss back into gear. My original goal was to loose at least 75 by my 35th b-day in December. The weight really doesn't matter that much to me, it's what I can wear and how I feel. I'm not a slave to my scale as it makes me feel bad when I'm not loosing, so I only weigh in every week or two.

You have done so well and are a true inspiration to the rest of us. Keeping your weight off for two years, IMHO, is harder than getting it off in the first place. That's what I worry about more than anything. It's easy to get it off, but maintaining is what I've always had trouble with, obviously. I've lost the same 80 pounds countless time, but couldn't keep it off. So any words of wisdom are very much appreciated.

hey bea welcome to the thread and nice to meet you glad to find another in the area. i can understand what you mean about starting gym classes that should help alot i got a gym membership and actually got a personal trainer for two months hopefully that will motivate me to go afterwards on my own. but it is nice to talk to others like us looking forward to talking with you more.

and josephine thanks for your wise words yeah it is easier to lose the weight but keeping it off is the hard part. you have got me thinking and hopefully i can so the same as you have as in keeping it off. i havent had many cravings i really just miss white rice alot and noodles but other then that i been keeping straight havent ate rice or noodles since my surgery since its so much carbs. josephine one question though when you were losing did you excerise or just let the weight come off. i know i will lose it all eventually and its all about how fast you want to lose it. is it a bit different if you excerise will it come off faster or will it be the same just eating right i guess is my question. the trainer when i spoke with him advice me he is only looking for me to lose 8-10 lbs a month and im thinking well i can do that without excerising. so i guess in a way im trying to see if its worth the money sort of say.

bea and josephine we should get together one of these days maybe have lunch or something.

karen

EXERCISE...................

That word used to be TABOO to me until I started working with a trainer. I never thought of taking a class, that was smart Bea. I was with my trainer for 3 weeks and he got me HOOKED on exercising and weight lifting. I bought into a year contract at LA Fitness with the trainers and I got a half of year free. Unfortunately it is over now but I go regularly to the gym 3 times a week to lift weights for 30-45 minutes and then 2-3 times a week I do cardio at home or outside.

I have a tread mill at home and I didn't start using it until I lost my first 60 pounds. I think I only began doing that because one day when I took my dog to the dog park and started running with her I saw my knee caps and excess skin on my knee caps wiggling, gross...... I lost my last pound July 25th of 2006, quit smoking December 25, 2006 and joined the gym, which I believe now was too late February 2007.

It is so important to exercise while losing weight. Sometimes your weight will take a halt but your inches will decrease because you are gaining strength, muscle. When we lose weight we lose muscle since we can not eat a normal amount of food anymore. I should say Protein. You also don't want too many wiggles. I had a Tummy Tuck and breast lift also. I went from a C cup to an A- cup. Yes I am a little less than an A cup. It's fits my body size so I am okay with that. It is said that a person who has been obese more than 5 years and has 100+ to lose it is inevitable that we will have excess skin. I even want to have a butt and thigh lift.

I would very much like to meet. I work, workout at the gym, go home an feed my husband and my dog, not in that order. Of course feed myself, walk the dog and go to bed. This is my life. I work in Farmers Branch.

Josephine

thanks for your words josephine tomorrow i start with a trainer at 24 hour fitness for two months and im hoping it will get me adjusted on doing the excerise on my own so thank you cuz hearing that story only makes me want to do it more. i been trying to surround myself with excerise got a excerise ball and a few dvds and this gym thing and the trainer since i have to be accountable and actually go. also got a mini eliptical machine so i can get on it while i do dishes or cook in the evenings or whenever im just standing around or watching tv. so hopefully i got the motivation to do it here soon.

my life is pretty much boring i have two kids a 2 year old boy and going through the potty age stage with him. and a 4 year old girl that keeps me on my toes.(actually they both keep me on my toes) my husband is currently not here he is in training out of state for the next two months and its off to iraq for him. second tour in the military. i was lucky i had him when i had the surgery cuz boy was i ever sore after the surgery. so for now im a stay at home mom keep thinking i will go crazy without hubby for a year but i know i wont. so yes i would love to meet up with you. when i get down to the right size i was always thinking about a Tummy Tuck and breast lift would love to hear about that experience.

karen

Karen,

Keep your mind open with the trainer and listen well. You will hurt quite badly but the hurt will be burning and that is the hurt you want to feel. The burning sensation is muscle breaking down and muscle growing on top of muscle. Don't think that your band or port will be in the way of hurting anything. We tend to protect it but nothing is going to happen. The only thing that I find extremely weird is when I jump rope. It must be the band but I always feel that I am going to pass gas. I used to joke with my trainer that he better watch out because I am ready to explode and I will blow him away. Gas is the only downfall that I have had with the band. Sometimes the gas gets so bad and it is trapped gas, colic, like a baby gets and it won't pass. It hurts alot.

I get with you another time about the Tummy Tuck. I just wanted to wish you well with your first day of training. You can get through it.

Josephine

josephine thanks for your wishes today i thought i was going to work out alittle but i guess the initial visit was more or getting the paper work and measurements down wow i couldnt believe how big my stomach is. never thought i would be as big as it was. seems like that is my major problem area. so i guess i am going to be working alot on my mid section hopefully i will start losing the inches quickly. i totally get the gas part i dont think i ever had so much gas as i do now. i guess that really never goes away. i am still really excited to be working out with a trainer and hopefully the weight just starts falling off as easy as i put them on.

karen

I am in Watauga area, I too went to Dr Snow and have lost right at about 70 pounds since Dec 28, 2007. I am at a plateau right now, but not sure I want to get another fill yet. I would be glad to help however I can.

Andrew

Hey Andrew, glad you joined in. Congrats on the 70 lbs! That's awesome!!

How's the training going Karen? Don't worry about the inches, you'll be surprised at how quickly they start coming off. I haven't even lost 40 pounds yet, but I've lost 6 inches off my hips and 5 inches off my waist. You'll do great!!

My classes are going well and surprisingly I'm not as sore as I thought I'd be. I guess my wimpy workouts at home have helped some. I've ramped up my workouts at home as well and am jogging/walking at least 45 minutes 5-6 days a week plus the workouts I get at school. I have goals I'd like to meet by the time I turn 35 in December, so I'm kickin' it in gear!! :lol:

Hope you guys have a great weekend!!!

also in DFW.....sorta at goal, like to lose a bit more but concentrating on staying fit & healthy.

karen, i work out at 24hr as well - have since getting banded & love my trainer (well most days)....i really am a believer that exercise helps this process move a bit faster & assists in making better food choices!!!

good luck to all newly banded folks....,

hey guys thinks for joining in andrew and luluc. watauga is so close to keller haha i go there alot sadly its not for the beer anymore. bea im getting more excited finally did my first workout with my trainer and i tell you its not very easy but i know i WANT to do it and i NEED to do it. tomorrow will be a very different day cuz i know i will be very sore. i finally found a friend of mines last nite that has a 24 hour membership but she doesnt want to go to the gym very often so i guess im making her go atleast twice a week with me. im really going to try with the pt 3 times a week and hopefully i can get some good cardio in 2 to 3 times a week for about 45 minutes. good to hear someone who is banded works out at 24hourfitness. when i ask my pt if he knew more people like me with the band he said no he knew quiet a few in cali but not here. but i know there are so many of us out there just have to look in the right place. ^^