Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia Club...

I agree with the previous poster. My main HH pain was on the inhale. It was like chest pain and hurt so much to breath in the first few days. I recovered quickly though and after a few days felt fine.

I don't have any pain from that now. I don't really have much pain at all now that I am about 4 weeks out. I guess I am just glad it is fixed. One of these days I will be well enough to head back to yoga and see if it really did fix it!

I had an Upper GI done on Tuesday and the Doctor that did it told me that I have a small Hiatal Hernia. He also said a lot of people have them, expecially as you age. I am going too ask the surgeon if he is going to repair it when he does the band. I also have no systems of having one.

Maggie:cool2:

I had one too, but didn't know it. Doc repaired it on surgery date. At one week out I now have no pain, but the first few days were awful! The pain of just breathing was so extreme, I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it without pain meds. By day 5 though it subsided enough that I only needed pain meds to sleep - thank God!

I too had one and didn't know until I woke up from surgery. My recovery was and still is longer. I'm two weeks post op and finally feeling much better.

i also had one. i had noticed over the past couple of years i had a problem with gas building up in my chest and would wake me up. if i had no tums in the house i was in trouble. it hurt like a heart attack. i didn't know about the hernia until after i came out of surgery and my husband told me they repaired one while i was in surgery. guess they will tell me about it tommorrow when i go for my first fill. (or i hope they do a fill)

they say alot of over weight people have them.

i never noticed reflux. i wonder what causes these?:thumbup:

hi, i also had a repair the same time as surgery for band the surgeon came to see me in my room to explain about hours after op, i was banded 31st aug 08 and am still in a bit of pain like a stitch under my left breast, how long before i can lift stuffand go back to work please thanks x

Each Dr differs but my Dr told me i could go back to doing all things now. i got banded on the 20th and saw him yesterday. Hope this helps. i found that the 6th and 7th day after surgery were the worst.

I knew for years I had a very large HH. Terrible, awful reflux at night. Sometimes aspirating the Fluid and acquiring pnemonias from it. Having the HH repaired was wonderful! What a joy to lay down at night and not worry that this will be another night of waking up gasping for air due to inhaling the acid. I'm so thrilled with the repair and was so glad my doc repaired it while he was in there.

I have had problems with severe reflux since high school. I was actually relieved post op to find out I had a hiatal hernia repaired.

Honestly, the pain wasn't that bad. Immediately waking up I had some pain in my incision from the hernia repair and some gas pain in my shoulders for a few days. The key for me was to get up and walk on the treadmill the next day. I would have a catching or burning sensation when I breathed around the hernia area, but I attributed it to the stitches healing. I didn't even have to take any narcs after two days post op.

I officially have hit what I think is bandster hell. My appetite is back and I have been really having to watch my portions. I am starving by night time and I haven't lost in almost a week.

Best of luck to everyone!

hw/sw/cw/gw

315/272/260/healthy

realize band 8/22/08

weight.png

Each Dr differs but my Dr told me i could go back to doing all things now. i got banded on the 20th and saw him yesterday. Hope this helps. i found that the 6th and 7th day after surgery were the worst.

thankyou. good luck.

well I guess I am going to join the club because I had one too! He did know about it before surgery and told me he was going to repair it. I never had any of the signs of it, so I wonder how many have them also without knowing. Things are going good for me although the weight loss is stalled and I have no idea why because the number of calories I eat a day does not seem like it could keep me alive!!! oh well, we will see what happens....

well I guess I am going to join the club because I had one too! He did know about it before surgery and told me he was going to repair it. I never had any of the signs of it, so I wonder how many have them also without knowing. Things are going good for me although the weight loss is stalled and I have no idea why because the number of calories I eat a day does not seem like it could keep me alive!!! oh well, we will see what happens....

i know what you mean. i had stalled also and was really surprised with the fuilds and calorie intake. but my Dr said, it was normal and we have some swelling. Don't worry.

You know i'll bet lots of folks have this hernia thing and not know it. i never knew. but sure was glad to hear he fixed it. :biggrin: