Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else Dr. Marquez in Austin????

Hello Lone Star Loser, I went to the seminar at the Hilton near the airport. Yes, Dr. Marquez is with the Southwest Bariatrics. She is the one that did the seminar. I have heard good things about the Round Rock hospital. WOW, 52 lbs in 2 months. I hope I'm that successful. I hope none of my test will stop the surgery. I didn't have any problem getting my insurance to approve it so I hope none of my test fail me. I'm been looking at the forum for a while and I haven't seen anyone talk about the psychologica test. Is that to make sure your aren't crazy. I'm sure that it is to make sure you are ready for a life change. It really hit home today. I went for a motorcycle ride with my DH and I got so out of breath putting on my socks and shoes that I had to sit down for a minute. My stomach is so big. I'm really hoping my surgery will be in January because I'm tired of having my stomach on my lap. Thanks for answering me.

Edwina63

Hello Lone Star Loser, I went to the seminar at the Hilton near the airport. Yes, Dr. Marquez is with the Southwest Bariatrics. She is the one that did the seminar. I have heard good things about the Round Rock hospital. WOW, 52 lbs in 2 months. I hope I'm that successful. I hope none of my test will stop the surgery. I didn't have any problem getting my insurance to approve it so I hope none of my test fail me. I'm been looking at the forum for a while and I haven't seen anyone talk about the psychologica test. Is that to make sure your aren't crazy. I'm sure that it is to make sure you are ready for a life change. It really hit home today. I went for a motorcycle ride with my DH and I got so out of breath putting on my socks and shoes that I had to sit down for a minute. My stomach is so big. I'm really hoping my surgery will be in January because I'm tired of having my stomach on my lap. Thanks for answering me.

Edwina63

Honestly the psych test is a joke ! Mine was at least.

They are suppose to be making sure you dont have any eating "Disorders" , that you can handle the surgery and that basically you know what your getting into .

My psych asked me " Do you emotionally eat " I said " well yeah Most fat people do " He told me " you are REALLY Going to have to get a handle on the emotional eating when you get the band , you wont be able to eat like that " I looked at him and said ( No kidding) " NO SHIT Isnt that why im getting the band so i CANT aimlessly eat ? dont you THINK If i had or COULD get a handle on it i wouldn't A. Be FAT B. Need the band. How about you give me some IDEAS on how NOT To emotionally eat then " I was SO Pissed honestly . Here i am suppose to be sitting here talking to this dip shit so he can give me clearance for surgery and he tells me this crap instead of maybe some ways to not do it. I got cleared for surgery anyway , Just last week my docs office moved all their records to the computer, so i got a copy of my report from this dip shit and it says at the end " We talked about the need for Mindy to work on her emotional eating and SHE will LOOK For ways to do that "

that's an problem w/ WLS is the psych evaluation , they need ( ALL DOCS ) need to have MORE sessions to work on those issues. Instead its " HERE IS the band have at it "

Anyway , my point , the evaluation is a "Breeze"

I dont know of anyone that's been turned down . YOu have to have some SERIOUS issues i think to be turned down .

Mindy

Edwina63. You are exactly right the psych eval is just to make sure that you are committed to the life style change and to make sure that you are doing this for the right reasons. It sounds like you want control of your life again. You have probably read on the forum that the only thing people regret is, NOT DOING IT SOONER. I am happpy that I did it. Yesterday was Christmas and even with all the good stuff on the table to eat, it didn't bother me a bit that I shouldn't eat it. The only bad thing I had was just 1 bite of a cheesecake. And just that one bite satisfied my craving.

Good Luck.

Lone Star Loser (Dorothy)

Thank you both for answering. I'm glad I have someone locally that I can talk to. That has been through it. How long after the evaluations do they do the surgery? I hope mine is soon. I want to start the new year out with a new me.

Edwina63 (Robin)

I was banded on 11/14 w/ Dr. Marquez. From start -- initial visit to surgery was about 3 months. I did not have to do the 6 month diet - Humana did not require that. It just took that long to get the appts. scheduled -- go ahead and find out who your ins. will accept for the the psych eval. and make an appt. as it took a long time to get in...

I have my appointments on Jan. 8th. all of my pre-tests are that day, the blood tests, they phyc. eval., nutritian, exercise, all of it. I don't think I'll have a problem with it. My insurance won't cover the nutritian or the phyc. eval but I can cover that. Do you know if the fills are covered by insurance and if it is part of the surgery? I hope I'm as successful as you guys are.

I told my Mom who in turn told one of my sisters about the surgery and now she is asking me questions about it. She was looking into it but her insurance won't cover it so she stopped. She probably weighs over 300lbs and has all the problems the come along with being that big. I'm only 250 and don't have half the health problem she does. She is going to the doctor on Jan. 8th to a new doctor so I hope she can help her. Anyway, enough for now.

Thanks,

Robin:thumbs_up:

For me will Dell-Humana, the first 2 months are included as art of the after-care. My fills after that are $50 each.

For me will Dell-Humana, the first 2 months are included as art of the after-care. My fills after that are $50 each.

have you had any trouble getting them to cover your fills ?

I have a friend who was banded at SW Baratrics has Dell ins.( Not sure if its Humanna or not ) but they are a little slow on covering fills .

She's 3 or 4 fills in and she's still waiting for them to approve the first fill .

Hey Folks, sorry not been here in a while crazy holiday season this year. Looks like LOne Star you've been doing just great! Good for you. How far are you now from your goal? My biggest plateau was at 200 just couldn't get below it for a month or so but now hit another one at 194. Jerry the nutricianist says at some point your body just won't give up any more weight without a routine exercise program. I think that is my problem. I'm just so busy with work stuff. I don't eat wrong just not getting in the exercise I need.

Have to say though the difference a year makes in photos. This year the family christmas photos prospect didn't send me into panic. I was interested to see how different I looked from last year and boy did I.

I've now lost almost 50 lbs since May.

The biggest excitment for me has been being able to shop for regular sized clothes even if it is a 14 but hey its in the regular ladies department now.

Hang in there everyone, it is so exciting to see the lbs drop on the scale each am. Make sure you take a pic in your underwear every 25 lbs so you can really see the results also be sure to measure yourself because you will get to a plateu that can be discouraging scale wise but still be loosing inches.

So excited for those of you getting close to surgery. I love Dr. Marquez! Just love her.

As far as fills, Dr. Marquez automatically includes the first 3 months in with her surgery charge so you won't need to worry about insurance paying during that time. After that insurance or not it's $50 a fill. Just depends on if you have to pay or the insurance will. But keep in mind most of the adjusting is done during that first 3 months. YOu won't need many after that so not a bad deal even if you do have to pay.

Good Luck all. I look forward to following your big losses and tracking your progress to goal!

Happy New Year:thumbup:

Edited by plakeway

Hello Everyone, just wanted to give an update if anyone is interested. I had all of my testing done on the 8th with now problems. My next appointment is on Wednesday the 14 to talk with Dr. Marquez. She wants me to bring my husband I'm guessing to go over the procedure. When I talked with Jerry I liked him very much. Hopefully my surgery won't be too longer after this next appointment. On a sadder note, I was laid off my job today to if any one knows of an opening in the administrative field please let me know. I hope everyone is doing OK.

Thanks,

Robin:mellow:

edwina63, I just love Jerry. He was so funny with his little fake food. I really felt comfortable talking to him.

I am so sorry to hear about your job. Did you say earlier that you worked for Dell. I work for Dell and I am on a 60 day job search, ending Jan. 30. I have been there for 15 years. It really sucks. But I have come to grips with it. It will take me a long time to get a job with all the benefits I worked so hard for.

Will you still have insurance to cover the surgery? I hope so. You can always get Cobra to cover it.

Good luck with your visit with Dr. Marquez. Usually it is about 2 weeks after that visit because you have to go on the pre-op diet for two weeks.

Keep us posted.

Lone Star Loser (Dorothy)

Hello LoneStarLoser, Yes, I thought he was great. I also loved the little food. Didn't like the fat in the viles though. Gross. No, I never worked for Dell. I worked for a staffing agency. I've been there a total of 4 years. I didn't have medical with my job. It is with Tricare so my surgery is still on. I saw it coming. With all the lay offs with the company they staffed for, it was kind of hard not to notice. I'll decided on looking for another job until I talk with Dr. Marquez on Wednesday. I don't really want to start a new one until after my surgery unless it is a couple of months out which I hope it is not. Hopefully it will be the first week of February. I'll definately keep you guys posted.

edwina63 (Robin)

Hello Everyone, I finally have a date. Feb. 3, 2009. Yeah. At approximately 7:30 am I will be banded. I'm excited and nervious at the same time. It will be done at the Seton Williamson hospital in Round Rock. I think I will be the first one banded at that hospital. :thumbup:

Robin