Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Olympic Experience

Don't worry, this is a lapband story! My DH and I went to the Olympics on Friday and security for the event was tight. We had to go through several metal detectors to get into the park. I set off the metal detector like I always do and the girl was wanding me down. My port must have set it off because I beeped at my stomach area. The security girl then touched my stomach (I'm 6 weeks post-op so still a little sensitive) and I jumped. It scared the poor Chinese girl and it scared me as well:ohmy:. She let me pass without me having to explain or show her my medical card.

Has anyone else set off the metal dectector? Or been questioned about it?

wow - i guess i never realized the thing would go off in the metal detectors! i've been researching for a month now, and i am about to start making the plans to get a lap band. hopefully, by year's end i'll have one. i can't wait to hear more [horror] stories about metal detectors!

I have been on planes several times since surgery and wanded at baseball games, and haven't set off a metal detector. Maybe the port is different in other countries.

Wow I hope you had fun at the Olympics. The opening and closing were awesome.

I had to go to court a week or so ago and I didn't set anything off. The Lap Band I have has no metal in it they told me.

I had my lap band done in the US, so it's not some kind of strange foreign lap band. They all have metal in them in the port area. I think because it was the Olympics the wands were set at a high sensitivity. I travel extensively for my job so I am in the airport at least 3 times a week and I have never set it off before. That's why this was so strange. My doctor warned me it could happen...

That's interesting. My lap-band card says that my band is MRI safe. I would think that if my port had metal in it, it wouldn't exactly be MRI safe, you know?

I've flown twice post-op and none of the metal detectors went off.

My surgeon said that the port can set off the wand type metal detectors in some cases. He told me to carry my "I have a Lap Band" card in case this happens. He also said that I need to make sure I tell any physician that I have the lap band expecially when I am getting x-ray's. It doesn't mean that I can't get any type of x-ray, they just need to be aware.

My surgeon said that the port can set off the wand type metal detectors in some cases. He told me to carry my "I have a Lap Band" card in case this happens. He also said that I need to make sure I tell any physician that I have the lap band expecially when I am getting x-ray's. It doesn't mean that I can't get any type of x-ray, they just need to be aware.

Interesting! I never thought about setting off metal detectors. You know, I am a bit upset that got banded by one of the top Bariatric surgeons in the country and no one ever mentioned a Lapband medical or any kind of food card to me. I had to find out about them on this website. I am calling my Dr office later. Did you automatically recieve one when you were banded? Thanks for the info.

Interesting! I never thought about setting off metal detectors. You know, I am a bit upset that got banded by one of the top Bariatric surgeons in the country and no one ever mentioned a Lapband medical or any kind of food card to me. I had to find out about them on this website. I am calling my Dr office later. Did you automatically recieve one when you were banded? Thanks for the info.

I received mine at my first follow-up visit. I didn't get the food card but you can download those for free online.

The one my surgeon gave me states in English on the front:

<MY name full>[My full name] has an adjustable Gatric Band implated around the stomach to assist in weight loss.

If you have any questions please call:

[surgeons name and number]

<MY name number and doctors>

*Caution should be taken when prescribing potentially ulcerogenic medications or performing and gastric or abdominal procedure. Maximum fill volume is 10 cc.

Then it is repeated in four other laguages on the back.

Jodi-

Thanks for the info! A medical card sounds like a necessity! I am going to get one from Doc. Where can you download the food card?

That would be good- no buffets for me anymore! but kids menu would be perfect!

This site has a few different styles all say the same thing. It is actually a gastric bypass site but the wording works for bandsters too. Just click on the one you like and print it on heavy stock paper or laminate.

Restaurant Card Bariatric Surgery

food expert" data-cite="food expert" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="67844" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic">
They all have metal in them in the port area.

That's interesting. I didn't realize they had any metal. I thought they were all some kind of plastic material.

I was told mine didn't have any metal parts. I've been wanded at numerous airports, and work in a courthouse, so I go through security all the time and it's never gone off.

I just called my surgeon to verify. He said that the Lap Band brand has a little titanium in the port(wasn't sure about Realize but said it probably does too) . He said that not all security systems will pick up on it but some of the newer more sensitive systems will.