Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restricted foods that you can't live without?

Before surgery I was warned about all of the things I wont be able to eat- dry chicken breast, steak, etc, etc. I knew that even though I love a good steak I can live without it but...I love seafood! Fish alone- not so much. My doc says that I wont be able to have lobster or shrimp for a while since it can be rubbery sometimes, and to stay far away from Calamari forever. This I can deal with the calamari, but I am wondering if anyone has had successfully had shrimp or lobster since being banded. Of course, its not something I will have regularly but I miss it!

I have no problem at all with shrimp. It is actually easier for me to eat than any other kind of meat. I can eat just about anything I want, including steak, as long as I take small bites and chew well. The only thing that gives me a lot of problems is bread.< /p>

Mind you I only have 3cc in a 10cc band. The only thing that bothers me is Cereal, barely dampened with milk. Feels like it gets stuck in my throat all the time, so I've about given up on cereal. Now, my PA who does my fills keeps assuring me that once I reach 4-6cc's in my band, potatoes, Pasta and bread will more than likely be a no go for me. For now, I have no problem wiht them to include eggs, cx and steak!

As far as doing without any foods, bread will be my most missed companion!!

Hi Miss Michelle,

I was banded May 08 and shrimp does not bother me in the least. Good luck!

I can do shrimp and lobster as well. I go to Maine every weekend. At least once while we are there, I will have a lobster roll ...very light on the mayo...I have never had a problem with it. Of course I dont eat the bread!!

Before surgery I was warned about all of the things I wont be able to eat- dry chicken breast, steak, etc, etc. but I am wondering if anyone has had successfully had shrimp or lobster since being banded. Of course, its not something I will have regularly but I miss it!

At 5 weeks post op, I have had shrimp (I've had it about 4 times, including last night). Lobster once. No problems at all.

But then again, last night, I had shrimp, salad (I was told lettuce was hard to eat) and a bit of Pasta (again, told it wouldn't eat). Since I had all of this at an Italian restaurant, I even had some bread.< /p>

No problems, except I was reminded that I might consider getting a fill on my band next week. I didn't eat a ton (1/2 my salad, 4 shrimp, 4 bites of Pasta, and 1 piece of bread) but it was more than I really should have eaten.

But the "trouble" foods give me no problem. (I had a shrimp cocktail last week that was wonderful).

Try it. If your band doesn't mind it, it's OK (and shrimp itself is pretty low calorie anyway). :biggrin:

Hi everyone . . believe me there will come a time when food that once went down will no longer. Today is the 1st time that I actually up chucked . . yuk!!! I had a fill last Wednesday and I feel so much restriction it's not funny. If I eat the mushy food like right after surgery I'm okay but anything else just wont go down. However, I eat very little and get full fast and I stay full for a long time. I've dropped 7 lbs. this week . . so that makes me happy.

Surgery Date: May 27, 2008

Lost 27 lbs pre-op

After being banded 62lbs.

Total: 89lbs.

Edited by Yukiko

i miss my RICE and sweet breads, well, any kind of bread! but its all for the best, i know. plus, i follow a low carb diet :lovechoc:

Yukiko- i think you're a tad too tight. the point is to be able to eat solid foods and get full off of 1/2-2 cups of Proteins & veggies; i get full off of 1cup. mushies are great for day two following a fill (depends on your docs rules). you should ask your doctor, you don't want to be too tight, this might cause problems for you in the future.

There's no foods I can never eat, but somethings give me trouble sometimes.

Althought I doubt I will EVER eat calamari again, my worst ever, most public, most humiliating and painful PB involving public streets, a public bathroom, a railway station and a park (oh the shame!) before making it back to our holiday house for a spectacular head spinning around exorcist style explosion in the front garden.

So yeah, probably wouldnt choose it off a menu again.

I've had one fill and have had 2 incidents: Once with bread and once with hash browns. The bread was the day of the fill and it got stuck but I didn't throw up (I've never thrown up). The other was hash browns, which I shouldn't have eaten anyway, and I didn't chew well enough.

I am trying to follow an Atkins type diet, but with salads, which give me no trouble. I do drink coffee, but gave up soda. meat and seafood are not problem at this point.

I struggle with my co-worker's darn candy bowl, but plan to "chip in" and buy some candy I hate, like Jolly Ranchers. I chew chocolate Calcium and pretend it's candy.

But without the gym, I still don't lose. My metabolism must be skow as molasses.

I've been too afraid to try leafy salads...just reminds me of same texture as cereal!!

Treat the candy bowl this way....whomever picks a pc from it, look at them and think how happy you are you're not them!!

There are some nice Protein snack bars and treats that are sweet to taste. My doc recommends them for my sweet tooth.

All of my coworkers are normal to thin, and eat candy all day, every day. I have been telling myself that people with candy bowls are evil and want everyone else to get fatter.

All of my coworkers are normal to thin, and eat candy all day, every day. I have been telling myself that people with candy bowls are evil and want everyone else to get fatter.

i'm with you on that one!! except for most of my coworkers aren't normal to thin, but they stuff their faces with JUNK food!! they're always offering, so i stay away from their desks while they're eating for sure!