Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

?ctober ?dyssey 2008

I took some Miralax. I am paranoid about becoming constipated or getting an ileus and ending up in the hospital that I work at when I have tried so hard not to let anyone find out about my decision. I

I hear ya! I took MoM last Sunday. Oh it was terrible tasting! My Mother bought be some, and she got the unflavored kind! My Aunt scolded her, too! LoL. Anyway, I was paranoid too, because I "KNOW" what narcotics do to me and I was not going down that road again!!! But, the MoM worked. Everything has been pretty normal since I laid off the narcotics.

I too hope that we continue to support each other. It is well documented that Individuals are more successful at losing weight when they have a support group. They even site that online communities are excellent support groups that provide a place to share, vent, be held accountable, etc. I think real life support groups are important, too. But, I like it here and hope to make some good buddies from my pumpkin friends!

1649497r3z46k91qn.gif

hey guys, as you can tell by my ticker, i started off a samurai and got changed to pumpkin at last minute, had to do the liquid diet twice, 20 days...so i have lost all of my weight presurgery, none after surgery....i am still sore at my port...but doing ok. i have a lot of head hunger, and i have eated too much at times...i have an uncomfortable tightness in my chest when i do...so i am learning the signals to look for before that feeling. i have not been taking any of my normal meds, my bp is lots better, and my sugar is better, but i need to start taking metformin again, because of my PCOS...but waiting for my 1st fill...will be the day before thanksgiving...am on a 20 pound weight restriction for 2 more weeks, but just have to get back to work...my coworkers have said they will help me with any heavy lifting, so thats a plus...but i am so excited about healing up enough to do an exercise challenge with yall...i need motivation to exercise...am doing bare minimum right now, but anyway...luck to all of us...nay

Ummm...have any of you had a hard time getting your mind wrapped around that fact that you have been banded. I guess I have been working towards it, but I can't quite believe it! It is just kind of hitting me every once in a while.

Guest BikiniBeachy

absolutely. I've even shied away from the boards cause I don't know what to talk about Except getting approved!!! Julie I've had a really hard time with this. One thing I do know is I will never stop tellig myself how proud I should be for perservering through those 9 months. I was miserable, and I mAde the mistAke of thinking that would just STOP the secnd I had the band installed.

im so proud ive walked since the day after my surgery oct20th ov er a mile everyday,the neighbors ive never met since ive lived here in louisana which is 2 yrs,i see now walking to,kinda cool,tomarrow im going over over 2 miles yippeeeeeeee

Can ya believe we're finally here?!!? Banded and all!! Wahooo!!

I was banded on Weds am and am doing well. I actually got in all 90g of Protein today and feel pretty good. I stopped taking my percocet yesterday and moved to liquid Tylenol today. I've only taken it twice today. :rolleyes2: Should I be concerned that I haven't pooped yet? I've never been constipated and am not sure I'd know what it feels like.... I suffered from IBS, but always had diarrhea. yikes! So... now I'm just gassy but not too bad... DH bought me some Milk of Magnesia, but I'm scared to take it, scared I'll get the runs. Anybody wondering about all of this??

Hi All, I am now having pain in the port area that doesn't feel so good. Hopefully it won't last to long. But besides that every day gets a little better. You guys who had the first part of October are probably all the way feeling good. Yay for all of you. Maggies:shades_smile:

absolutely. I've even shied away from the boards cause I don't know what to talk about Except getting approved!!! Julie I've had a really hard time with this....I mAde the mistAke of thinking that would just STOP the secnd I had the band installed.

I know what you mean. I'm kind of stuck because i don't feel banded yet, just sore. Maybe once I can eat mushies it will change. I hope.

im so proud ive walked since the day after my surgery oct20th ov er a mile everyday,tomarrow im going over over 2 miles yippeeeeeeee

Nazzy that is AWESOME!!! I know I need to start walking tomorrow. It will make my gas pains better.

Can ya believe we're finally here?!!? Banded and all!! Wahooo!!

I was banded on Weds am and am doing well. I actually got in all 90g of Protein today and feel pretty good. .... DH bought me some Milk of Magnesia, but I'm scared to take it, scared I'll get the runs. Anybody wondering about all of this??

OMG How did you get 90gm of protien in!?!?!?!

What a great day to be banded! :rolleyes2: I finally got things moving today. I wouldn't take any more lortab until I had some luck in that department. Good ol MOM does the trick!

I have had less than 1/4 cup runny oatmeal for Breakfast, part of a protien shake, 1/2 cup of sugar free vanilla pudding and 1/2 cup sherbert. I am trying to get all my Water in, but I am feeling water logged!.

I can't wait until Thanksgiving. By then I should be feeling great and I have my first fill scheduled for November 25th. Do all of you already have your fill appts?

Maggies: I don't have a lot of port pain yet, but I can tell you my incisions are really starting to itch! I want to scratch, but the op site is supposed to stay intact for a week.

Edited by julie.ann

It is so great to hear of all of the October Band-stories! Just about everyone is doing quite well and trying to adjust. At times, while I'm walking thru the facility at work - I think to myself... "I'm banded" and I too, try to wrap my brain around this - especially since its something I've wanted for over 5 years now.

Last week, I started reading through the exercise forum to get encouragement - need to do more than walking the halls at work. I finally.... slowly got on the treadmill for 20 minutes last night. I wasn't tired yet, however my insides jiggled and started hurting just before 15 min. I put on the binder from the hospital - it only helped a little. I will keep trying and will come here to hear about how my fellow October Odyssey Buddies are getting their exercises in.

You guys are doing great.

Nazzy - That is awesome you are walking so much. I need to get out and go walking. You are inspiration to us all.

Julie - Good to hear everything is moving! I was just as paranoid as you were.

Bridgette - My Doctor said if I had not gone by Sunday (banded on a Tuesday, so 5 days) to take some! And, I did. Now everything seems to be normal.

NFaith - I think the treadmills is a great idea. We have one out in the garage gathering dust. Think I will get my Dad to bring it back indoors for me. My Mother will probably use it too.

She's doing really great on South Beach, by the way. If you know anyone struggling with their weight who do not want a band or can't be banded, recommend South Beach! It's so easy and so healthy! I am like the new cheerleader for it! We have a real life friend who was banded in Mexico about 9 months ago, and she just let my Mother clean out her closet! She has a whole new wardrobe! I can't wait to get all the hand-me-downs!

Maggies - My port hurts too. All my incisions have healed but the port on, and the biggest one in the middle of my stomach. Mine were glued shut. The ones that have healed, healed great. These last two don't look so hot. Hopefully my Doctor will do or give me something for them tomorrow at my post-op appointment.

I ate two bites of my Daughter's scrambled eggs! :cool2: Didn't hurt! Nothing bad happened. But, I'm not pushing my luck.

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody! I'm taking the MoM tonight if there's no movement down there before then!

ETA: my doc recommends 90-110 g of Protein a day from here on out.... hopefully it'll be easier when I can eat meat. As far as getting in the 90g of protein, I drank 2 low carb slim-fast shakes (20g each), had some hot chocolate with 15g, some fruit juice (15g), another protein supplement with 15 g and some K2O in my Water with 5 g of protein in that... BUT... My doctor gave me a huge box with protein supplements to use throughout the liquid phase, almost 20 items and each has at least 15 grams of protein... so, I haven't really had anything for "fun" yet, just trying to get in my protein, and sipping water. I haven't gotten as much water in, but am counting all these liquid supplements as Fluid too..

My port is sore today and I finally had the gas pain everyone complains about last night (around 1am!)... so I spent about 20 min walking laps around the house and took a couple of gas-x strips... I didn't like the gas and have apparently been very blessed to have not really experienced it until now.

Edited by ~Bridgette~
additional information

It's pretty good, but if you're trying to get in lots of Protein, it's not as much bang for your buck, I don't think... but I have a ton of them to drink, LOL. I figure I'll just add that to my sippin' Water and will increase my protein that way.

I bought some unflavored protein at GNC and it was disgusting! That was a waste of money. I figured I'd add it to my Soups or juices for variety with protein... but it was nasty!! Don't bother if you were thinking of trying it.. ewwww

It's pretty good, but if you're trying to get in lots of Protein, it's not as much bang for your buck, I don't think... but I have a ton of them to drink, LOL. I figure I'll just add that to my sippin' Water and will increase my protein that way.

I bought some unflavored protein at GNC and it was disgusting! That was a waste of money. I figured I'd add it to my Soups or juices for variety with protein... but it was nasty!! Don't bother if you were thinking of trying it.. ewwww