Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did my cholesterol level go up?

My primary care physician's office just called after the received the results of my latest lab tests. I was banded on July 24, but have been dieting since mid May and have lost 32 pounds. My diet has, of course, improved significantly. I used to eat a lot of junk and fast food and now I follow the typical lap band diet and have totally improved my eating habits since mid May. However, my "bad" cholesterol has gone up significantly. Has anyone else had this experience? Interestingly, the same thing happened to my mother 25 years ago when she lost weight. Unfortunately, she died of a stroke soon after (I am not too worried about that myself - my mother smoked and had sky high blood pressure).

I have only lost a bit since banded, started by gaining and now going down again but along the way my cholesterol went up, first time ever, and my blood pressure has been high and I'm on meds for both now. My diabetes II is worse also. Who knows maybe it's age, maybe it's eating more Protein but I have no idea all I know is my doctor is worried too and I'll see what my surgeon says tomorrow on my one year anniversary. Good luck and hope you get some answers, Nancy.:smile2:

Me too, my cholestrol had gone up 20+ points with a 70# weight loss at the time it was taken. Don't know if it has gone down yet but will wait until my next annual exam (april 09) to see if it goes down. I suspect for me my ratio of meat to fruit and veggies is now reversed from what it was pre-band. Hope it reverses. My doctor did not seem worried. I am down 22# since it was taken in April so who knows. I am very excited, I just had total hip replacement 30 June 08 and my goal was to not gain weight during my convalescence and I have lost 7#!!! Hopefully once I can exercise again in another 5-6 weeks I can lose the 7.5 # needed to hit the 100# mark. I love the support from this forum.

Banded 10-19-07

pre:276.5

Highest: 400+

Current: 184

GOAL: 134

Are you eating alot of meat? Cholesterol is found in meat, meat by products, dairy, and eggs. If you are eating more of these foods it could increase your numbers. Increase your Fiber, and it will help drop the numbers for you. As you lose weight it should balance out. Good luck, and Congratulations on your band.

Mine went up to, never had any kind of problems with any blood work before.. but 1 year post-op my good cholesterol is down and bad cholesterol is up. My doc told me to eat more fruits & veggies.. and it's also hereditary, but I thought it was odd for it to happen a year from banding after losing 100lbs!!

What was your diet like before the band, and what's it like now? Be as specific as possible, like what you typically eat at each meal, what you snack on, what you drink, etc.

I once lost 50 pounds on a very low carb diet, which emphasized a lot of Protein (meat, eggs, fish, chicken) with minimal carbohydrates (some vegetables). Despite losing 50 pounds, my blood pressure went up a ton (115/75 went up to 150/100), I became hypoglycemic, my good cholesterol went down, and my triglycerides went up. I went off the diet, gained back all the weight and more, and my blood pressure is now normal. I think it was too much Protein and too few carbs.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but perhaps if you list everything you're eating now versus then, maybe we can pinpoint a problem somewhere. Otherwise, I guess it could be a genetic thing.

Before, my diet was awful - which is why I have had a weight issue. I would eat regular decent meals, but then hit the fast food places ften on top of that. Lots of days I would drive through, get a fattening burger as a snack, and then eat dinner later. Now, Breakfast is usually an egg or slim fast, lunch is maybe tuna or chicken salad, and dinner is a Protein and a vegetable. Before, I ate all of that plus more. I am just wondering if maybe when the body breaks down fat, if somehow it temporarily shows up in the bloodstream. I just talked to my sister (who is very slender and a type 1 diabetic). She recently lost about 15 pounds, and her cholesterol went up also. Maybe it is a genetic thing with our family. I am going to ask my surgeon Monday when I go for my first fill.

Does it make sense that when you are losing weight there is more cholesterol circulating in your body and blood stream, that is going to be flushed out by your kidneys and liver and such? I think that would be a reason that your cholesterol level goes up while you are actively losing weight, because what is fat but cholesterol?? Just a thought, but it kind of made sense to me when I thought about it. :cursing:

Wow just more stuff to worry about, I was put on cholesterol lowering drugs, high blood pressure meds, just part of my daily cocktail now! I wish someone knew how to treat us, it's so insane. Just proves they need to study obesity a lot more! Nancy.

Are you eating alot of meat? Cholesterol is found in meat, meat by products, dairy, and eggs. If you are eating more of these foods it could increase your numbers. Increase your Fiber, and it will help drop the numbers for you. As you lose weight it should balance out. Good luck, and Congratulations on your band.

I know that everything you stated is true, but when I was on Atkins my cholesterol was 111 and 51 of it was the good cholesterol. I haven't been on Atkins for over a year and a half and now my cholesterol is 221. My good cholesterol is, luckily, still high enough that my ratio isn't bad. Go figure, huh?!:confused2:

Hmmmm I just had blood work done and my bad cholesterol was up/good cholesterol down. I was shocked! My doctor said something about it but gosh, after the weight lose I have had so far I was speechless.

I eat very little meat and eggs,I do more tofu and other meat replacement meals. I eat VERY different now then I did a year ago so it is a mystery to me too.

Interesting read nyllrap.

My dermatologist is the one who saw my cholesterol 'problem', doing some routine bloodwork.. she told me to tell my GP. I saw him a week or so later, and brought it up. He asked about my history, and my dad is on Cholesterol medicine, but I have always had great cholesterol despite being overweight. Since they said it could be hereditary I just shrugged it off. I don't notice any effects from it, so unless he's concerned I'm not either. He told me to eat more fruits & veggies, blah blah blah.