Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who has regretted getting the lap band & why?

This thread has been very helpful to me in my Quest to understand the mental and emotional aspects of life after banding. Thank you to those who took the time to explain the process they have experienced.

wow congrats u will be getting your surgery on the same day i have my psych eval.

I was just banded on monday first I thought i was going to die and still feel that way, the pain is more than I can handle.. I cant do anything but sit around and think about how much pain Im in.. I can't even take a shower yet, and today is thursday., my stomach keeps growling alot, i don't know what thats about if im hungry or just gassy.. then ontop of all this i have the back door trots somebody please advise, i dont think im going to make it.

:biggrin::cursing:

I was there just one month ago! I remember crying and telling my husband how I hated it and wanted it out of me. I was sick of hurting and "sleeping" (HA) in a recliner. Also so much worry about Protein, anti-acid pills, that breating thingy you blow in, pain pain PAIN, plus I ran a low temperature and felt miserable. Know what? It was just temporary! Every single day got better and better - and still does. I JUST slept on my left side (port side) for the first time last night. And I ate steak for the first time tonight for dinner! :lol: So Happy! You will feel better. Promise! OH! It's important that you get out of the house, even just for a ride in the car (take your pillow). I think that's the key to rapid recovery.

Yes I think now I regret having it. I was banded June 5, had a blood clot June 23. Was told after blood clot no exercise-which you really need to start. Plus the fact I started out with 3 meals a day 1/4 cup, now I can 1/2 cup. And drink Protein drinks in between. who couldnt lose weight if you could eat like that. I have not felt enough restriction to my band not to feel hungry. But I am in this knee deep now and I hope eventually it will begin to work.

I just wanted to say that Protein Drinks might be one of your problems...They're just liquid calories that go right through you...try to stick with Water and low or no calorie fluids...keep trying...you'll get there

Heather pretty much summed up my complete thought process.

I would not trade my band for anything and I am thankful for it each and everyday. Yes, sometimes I am uncomfortable because my head hunger and old ways haunt me and the band makes it so uncomfortable to eat. I even worry about my band slipping or other things like that happening. But it is a great tool for me and I am recovering from my food addiction with it's help, among other things that I use like journals, mindfullness and support including support from everyone here! Thank you .

I agree with what Areellady and Heather both said. They have some great posts there! Alot of us can relate to the same stuff and that helps tremendously!

Has anyone ever had an allergic reaction to the titianium in the port? I think I have had an allergic reaction to other titianium implants.

Iwas banded thursday 8/28 and I'm still in a lot of pain and I have the runs and the growling and acid reflux but I want to see how this will pan ou. Good Luck-Elisa

I somewhat regret getting banded. My psych evaluation was a joke. A phone call from a therapist. I wasn't mentally prepared and the questions that I asked changed from doctor to doctor.

I am learning to adjust to the band and maybe in time I will be as excited as most of the people on here but for now I am in the unsure stage.

I am not sure any of us really get completely "past" the urge to binge from time to time if we had it before. I think for a lot of us it is just part of who we are and we have to find appropriate, healthy means to deal with it. However, the band does prevent the ability from binging because you just can't eat that much without suffering. If you overdo it, the big stick comes out (pb'ing and being very uncomfortable) to teach you not to do so.

Am I still addicted to food . . . absolutely. Have I found a way to deal with it . . . yes. I have exchanged quantity for quality and I take time to really, truly taste what I am eating.

I have found that in most binges, beyond the first couple of bites, I no longer really taste what it is that I am eating. I don't even think binges were about enjoying the food as much as filling a void. Binges were always followed by a mountain of guilt which would make me want to do it again. I was never, ever happy or satisfied by doing this. It always left me feeling empty and depressed.

Now I am finding I can take a couple of bites of something and be satisfied more than ever before. It only takes a little and I don't have to feel guilty about it.

The band can not fix the root of most of our problems, which isn't in the stomach. However, there are hard limitations with the band in that you can only eat so much, and if you overdo it there are uncomfortable consequences. I think this helps with behavior modification to deal with binging and brings it more under control.

It seems to get easier and easier over time

. . . 2 months out food still ruled my thoughts (again, the thoughts were more important than my stomach) and there was indeed a big void in my day because what do you do with yourself after work when you are used to eating to relax??? I was actually grieving for the loss of my ability to eat.

. . . 4 months out was a little better in that I could eat most things only in small quantities but I had to deal with the binge demon at that time and my mind was still saying more, more while my stomach was crying "uncle". This was actually one of the hardest stages in that this is where the "really difficult" work in behavior modification struggles were running rampant

. . . 6 months plus out I seem to be more in control, more happy, feel more normal and food has become just another normal part of my life 95% of the time.

. . . the future, I really expect it to continue to get easier as i continue to work on why I think like I do and find alternative more healthy ways to deal with life. I have already found that exercise relieves stress in a much more effective way than food ever did . . . with no guilt associated. I am on the right path and I will continue to move forward.

For me it has all been a learning process . . . but I couldn't get there without my band. I still have no regrets. The band did not make my life easier by any means, but I am better for it. I love what my band has helped me to accomplish and I would not trade it for the world.

AWESOME POST, Heather!!

Thanks for the great posts all. This has helped me in making my decision as well. I have yet to be banded but soon hopefully.

The thing to really remember that getting banded is not just going to fix everything about our weight and over eating. We have to work at it mentally and emotionally as well. So many of us have been eating so much food for so many reasons and now we're restricting our food intake.

First and foremost I think is getting the support you need from family, friends, support groups, and beyond. Coming here I think is a great place for support and advice. Many different people from all over with many different experiences.