Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First patients to have Realize...let's hear from you!

Can anyone here help me navigate the Realize My Success website? I can get on and enter today's weight (which I need to do for my doctors office to follow), but I can't seem to get a handle on how to really use the site to my best advantage. I looked at recipes today and none appeal to me, but that is more because I am not interested in what was offered. I can at least access that area.

What other tools on the site do you find to be helpful? I have a hard time loading it on my pc at work and can't always see the entire screen.

I'm fairly computer literate, but this site has me so frustrated! Would anyone with a good sense of how to use the site be willing to coach me along a little?

Thanks so much!

Since you are computer literate, I hope I'm not too basic but I use the site EVERY day. The icons on the left side of the page help you to navigate to different areas of the website. "My food Diary" probably gets used the most by me. I track my Water, Vitamins, and food intake. It keeps track of my grams of fat, calories, but most important, my Protein intake. Sometimes the food I am looking for doesn't come up on "Food Search" a tab, top left, so I add it myself under the "My Food" tab, top left. I also list regularly eaten foods in "My Favorites" a tab again, top left. they seem to be adding to the list of foods regularly. You also can "tag" foods that don't agree with you or foods you hadn't planned to eat so a person can get an idea of possibly weaknesses that cause you to eat things that aren't "planned."

I could go on and on but I probably the best thing is to sign on and just read all of the articles the site offers. Maybe I'm a bit of an optimist :laugh: but I really like the site. It has helped me lose 24.2 pounds in 70 days which is unheard of for me :huh2:. I am so happy with my choice. I can't say enough good things about being banded and having the Realize band. :)

Since you are computer literate, I hope I'm not too basic but I use the site EVERY day. The icons on the left side of the page help you to navigate to different areas of the website. "My food Diary" probably gets used the most by me. I track my Water, Vitamins, and food intake. It keeps track of my grams of fat, calories, but most important, my Protein intake. Sometimes the food I am looking for doesn't come up on "Food Search" a tab, top left, so I add it myself under the "My Food" tab, top left. I also list regularly eaten foods in "My Favorites" a tab again, top left. they seem to be adding to the list of foods regularly. You also can "tag" foods that don't agree with you or foods you hadn't planned to eat so a person can get an idea of possibly weaknesses that cause you to eat things that aren't "planned."

I could go on and on but I probably the best thing is to sign on and just read all of the articles the site offers. Maybe I'm a bit of an optimist :D but I really like the site. It has helped me lose 24.2 pounds in 70 days which is unheard of for me :mellow:. I am so happy with my choice. I can't say enough good things about being banded and having the Realize band. :thumbup:

Peg,

Please do go on! I have had trouble getting anything on the food journal to register. I can see it and click on it, but I can't update it to make it work. So anything - any tricks, tips, etc., please do send them to me either here or privately. I really need some help. I can click on any icon or bookmark, but then am not able to use the stuff when I get the page loaded (and I have cable access at home and am on a network at work, so it isn't that my computers aren't able to handle it - there is something about my particular site that I must be missing in order to get my stuff to load. I even have to enter my daily/weekly weights weird just to get them onto the site and updated for my doctors).

Thanks so much! I'm printing out your first reply, and am looking forward to your coaching me through more, if you are willing.

Best,

Peg,

Please do go on! I have had trouble getting anything on the food journal to register. I can see it and click on it, but I can't update it to make it work. So anything - any tricks, tips, etc., please do send them to me either here or privately. I really need some help. I can click on any icon or bookmark, but then am not able to use the stuff when I get the page loaded (and I have cable access at home and am on a network at work, so it isn't that my computers aren't able to handle it - there is something about my particular site that I must be missing in order to get my stuff to load. I even have to enter my daily/weekly weights weird just to get them onto the site and updated for my doctors).

Thanks so much! I'm printing out your first reply, and am looking forward to your coaching me through more, if you are willing.

Best,

Hey Amy, I'll do my best. IF I remember right, there are several levels of use that a person is allowed on the website. The first level is you sign-in with your surgeon's information and you are allowed to look around. The next level is after you have your band installed, they give you a patient's number. You then sign-on and register yourself and your band with that number it allows everything to be available to you. It sounds like you do not have your patient/band number yet. You are only able to view. If I'm wrong, let me know. If not, get a hold of your doc's office to get your number so you can utilize the whole site and we will go from there. :smile:

Hey Amy, I'll do my best. IF I remember right, there are several levels of use that a person is allowed on the website. The first level is you sign-in with your surgeon's information and you are allowed to look around. The next level is after you have your band installed, they give you a patient's number. You then sign-on and register yourself and your band with that number it allows everything to be available to you. It sounds like you do not have your patient/band number yet. You are only able to view. If I'm wrong, let me know. If not, get a hold of your doc's office to get your number so you can utilize the whole site and we will go from there. :smile:

Peg,

I think I am opened up so I can use the whole site. I'll check again. I did this with someone from the site just after my surgery (my doctor forgot to give me the insert card with my band so I don't have the actual band number). He said he gave me a number to use that would give me total access. I was able to enter my weights and my inches and see what I would look like at my ideal weight. Can you do that before you have total access?

I'll look around later today and then let you know if I can navigate better. I still think I have trouble, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is because I don't have my true band number entered. Geez. Could they make this any more difficult?

Thanks!

Hi,

I was banded 8/13/08. I have lost 30 lbs since surgery. I had 1 fill 9/12/08 of 4cc's. I went in on Fri 10/17/08 but we decided to hold off on this fill because I have lost 12lbs in 4 weeks, and although I get hungry at times it is not unmanageable. I had a really easy recovery and only took my pain meds twice. I was back to work 4 days after surgery. I credit that more to my surgeon than the type of band.

As far as the web site I am really not all that impressed. I find that I prefer sparkpeople.com for keeping my food/exercise log. It is easier to use and has a larger selection. I also get weird messages from it sometimes, like I got an email telling me I haven't logged on in over a month when I just entered my weight 2 days ago. A few weeks ago when I logged on the message it greeted me with was "your weight seems to have reached a plateau. Consider consulting with your physician." mind you I have lost 30lbs in 2 months. I DON'T consider that a plateau:lol:! I do like the area where it shows what you can look like at different weights. I also like keeping track of my measurments and not just my weight. Overall I would say it is an OK website but there is a lot of room for improvement. The regular Lap-band is getting its own website now. I would say don't let the website be a deciding factor for you. I got the Realize band because I know my surgeon very well and this is what he recommended.

Heather,

I totally agree with you that this is not a great site and that they need to make improvements. I do not find it very user friendly or easy to navigate, and I've had to call them three times to walk me through stuff (and still have trouble).

My doctors' office wants their bandsters to use the site. They can log on and track our progress or lack of. I think that is the draw for them. But I don't care for it myself.

I'd much rather be here on the boards where I am getting the support and encouragement I need, as well as the information about how to assist my band with my weight loss efforts (which are not going too well this week so far, to my dismay).

Thanks for replying!

I had a realize band installed in me on 1/15/08. I found out about realize band & site about 5 months later. I asked my Doctor how they choose which band to use? Luck & stomach size. (Johnson & Johnson-- Covidian) I have not had a fill yet. Some of the other Doctors in Las Vegas are letting patients pick which band they want to use. A few don't or can't use realize. I have lost over 142 pounds. No fills yet. I have gotten information from both realize + lap-band sites on the telephone. The best day of my life was losing morbid obesity. I am now bouncing around at a normal weight. I would like to thank LapBandTalk for letting me promote realize. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup::):thumbup:

Hi everyone! I had my surgery Aug 5 and had the Realize Band. I love it! I lost 20lbs before surgery and have lost an additional 32 since my surgery. I have had two fills for a total of 4.5cc. I am really feeling pretty good restriction since this last fill. Now I just have to fight the head hunger & stress eating!

I love how I feel and I wish I could have done this sooner! I have started the Couch to 5K program and love being active and starting to run again. I have my goal of running the Jingle Bell Run in December. Even if I can't run the whole thing, I am going to participate!

Hello!

I got my Realize band in February and my loss has been slow but steady. As of this morning I've lost 49 pounds and 34 to go! I'm 8 months out, so figure I'll hit my goal (or more) by the time my 1 year anniversary comes around. I used to worry about the end of a diet, you know, those "last 10 pounds" but not so this time. Because I'm feeling so much better, I'm adding exercise to the mix starting this month, and feel pretty confident that the final pounds will melt away. Like many of you, I wish I had done it ages ago.

I have a very aggressive doctor and currently have 8 mls in my band.

I was banded June 25th and have stayed at the same weight (191) for four months. I have gone in 7 times for fills, unfills, you name it. They just cannot seem to find my sweet spot. I finally have started to see the scale move now and am 4 pounds lighter than the day of sugery (187)since I lost 15 pounds pre-op. I am frustrated to say the least. I am very tight now - probably too tight. I get stuck on a lot of things, but since they now want to charge me $250 to unfill and try again since I am past my 90 days, I am going to deal with it. I have no idea if this has to do with the Realize Band (doubt it) or something else. I am just really bummed as I thought I would be a lot farther along by now.

Anyone else have the same experience? Would love to know if this initial stall is normal for some people.:rolleyes2:

Krissyjean -

It's hard to tell what's happening - - I'm not sure what you're eating. Many people try to eat those things that "go down easy" like mashed potatoes, but those are often the kinds of things that make you gain weight. Are you able to eat dense Proteins at all? That will make a huge difference. I know we're supposed to be out of the "diet mode" but maybe it would be helpful to count your calories for a few days and see what a "normal" day is for you. I know that if I start eating the "easy" things, then I'll hit 1000-1200 calories, and I don't lose weight at all there - the scale won't move unless I'm around 700 calories/day.

I think there is a forum here somewhere for "Slow Losers" so you might be able to find some good advice in that forum. I'm heading there myself. :-)

Learn what you can from everyone, try to see what works for you, and hang in there!! You WILL lose! :cool2:

Hi Laurie,

Thank you so much for the insight. I am actually very aware of what I eat and don't fall into the mushy trap much at all. I have Protein shakes and a lot of sugar free popsicles. I can't eat much at one sitting which is fine, and I have to be SO CAREFUL because I never know what is going to get stuck. I am just taking it slow and small is all. That seems to help a lot. I do most everything by the rules...start with the Protein, veggies next then carbs if there is room. Dense does not always happen though. For instance tonight I am making Halibut because I know it won't get stuck. I do fine with very tender chicken, good cuts of beef that arecooked medium rare, lamo that is falling off the bone, that kind of stuff. But if at the end of the day I just can't bare to get stuck for the 10th time in a day I stick with fish. Much safer.

I also do count calories...in fact I use "Calorie King". It is an awesome program and I highly recommend it. I keep track of it all. So, I am clearly frustrated. The good news though is that I was yet another pound lighter this morning. Next big goal for me is 179 since I weighed in at 186 this morning.

Truth be told, I know what is missing...the big "E"...I need to get my bod moving. But even without the routine exercise, I still should not be this flat. We shall see.

Thanks again for the response. I truly do appreciate it.

Bye for now.

Kristin

My husband had the realize band on the 28th of October. Maybe he will check this thread out.

He weighed in this morning at 249 pounds. His highist weight was 268 pounds. He is still in the full liquid stage.

Nina

I just had my realize Band surgery on 10-28-08, went home the next day. So far I have lost 19 lbs. I'm still in the Full luquid stage. (Ninaflowerlady - (Nina) is my wife and is being very supportive. I have not had any problems yet.

I have not recieved my Patient ID No. yet, should recieve it soon, so am not able axcesed the whole website yet.

So far so good,

PS: My 1st. Post-op meeting withe Doc went very good. He took off the little bandages that was on top of what looked like nylon reinforced tape. I'm asumming that's what held the incizes together. I'l be taking them of soon. a couple fell off already. The Doc was very happy with my progress.

Don

Edited by skinnydippn42
update

I was banded with the realize band on 11/11/2008. I have been having all kinds of promblems. The food gets stuck, sometimes I can't tolerate things to drink. I have been vomiting. Sometimes the food hurts. I have not had a fill yet. My doctor had to remove what little Fluid that was placed in the band at the time of surgery. They said that my band is still too tight, which has caused some swelling in my stomach. I have been miserable. I'm now waiting on approve to swith to the lap band. My doctor believes this will relieve the problem. So far the only good thing is I have lost 48lbs.