Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does drinking water make you hungry?

I'm having a problem with drinking the amount of Water that my doctor wants me to drink a day. I'm not drinking with meals or for 1 hour after a meal (as he directed). But 1 hr after the meal, as soon as I start sipping on water, I start to feel hungry. I know that it's probably because I'm washing all of my food through the band, but I don't know how else to get my liquids in! Does anyone else have this problem?

Right now, I am getting around it by starting a bottle of water 1 hr before a meal, and telling myself that I have to drink the water and then wait about 10 more minutes before eating. I don't know if this is a good way or not, but it seems like the only way I can get in the fluids without being hungry. I am worried, though, about stretching my pouch by drinking the water so fast.

BTW, I am 3 weeks post-op, and just starting on solids.

I fought the Water for awhile after I had my band put in. If you have to wait an hour after you eat, and have to sip how in the world can you get all this water in.

I finally just relaxed and drink as often as possible. I am so thristy when I eat I can't wait a full hour after. I usually drink when I want to. I don't know if this is great but it works for me.

I ususal down the entire bottle of Water after about a hour. Can't figure out why but I do. I will after about an hour down another bottle. I don't drink much in the morning but afternoon and evening I down quite a bit. Have you tried Kelloggs Protein water? I found that it kind of gives you a full feeling. My RN I see for fills said that water anytime before you eat is okay because the water should flow through the band and should not hold in the pouch.

I have tried the Protein waters. I drank them a lot before and just after the surgery. Honestly, I'm just sick of them. I never drank a lot of flavored drinks prior to surgery. I've always just been a plain Water drinker. All that flavor is just too much for me! But you're right, the Fiber in them makes you feel fuller. Maybe I'll give them a shot tomorrow.

My RN I see for fills said that Water anytime before you eat is okay because the Water should flow through the band and should not hold in the pouch.

That is what I always thought too I mean it goes right through to the bottom pouch is how I have it imagined in my head. I can see the after eating DO NOT DRINK but the before. I am constantly watching the clock!!