Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone trying this without ANY fills?

My doctor said only 20% of his patients reach their goal weight w/out any fills. I met one in his waiting room and was genuinely impressed. I was only banded a month ago (7/16) and I'm down 20 lbs - w/out any fill. I have a 10cc band that was put in w/ 2cc already in there. (I think that's right.......) I'm happy with the 20 lbs, but wonder if anyone has thoughts about the no-fill theory.

I'm not afraid of the "pain" of the actual fill, I'm worried about how long it'll take to find the sweet spot. Also, I like knowing that I can eat pretty much any food w/out worrying about it getting stuck or PBing, as long as I chew the $#@! out of it. :thumbup: It definitely takes more self-control, but I'm thinking about trying it. All I can do is try - right? :confused2: Any thoughts out there?

what works for one person doesn't work for everyone. If you don't want or aren't ready for a fill, then wait on it. but i think you eventually will stop losing or plateau and then you may want to reconsider. also the more weight you lose, the looser the band becomes so you may have to for that reason also..

I have had 4 fills and 2 partial unfills. The unfills were after the 3rd and 4th fills because I was unable to keep anything in the day after the fill.

I definatley know when it is time for a fill -- I begin to feel hungry much quicker than before. I also can eat anything I want to without much problem. When I have both of those things going on at the same time, I need a fill.

One of the nurses told me once that I should think of the band as I would a necktie. As I lose weight, the necktie (band) becomes loose. A necktie would be tightened around the neck and, thus, the band can be tightened around the stomach.

Definately do what you are comfortable doing. If you are losing weight at a healthy, steady rate - there may be no reason to have a fill. If you find yourself becoming very hungry often, that might be when you can explore a fill with your doctor. It is completely up to you. You will always have the option to get a fill in the future if you decide to go without for a while.

I have found that when I am at the point when I need a fill, my weight loss tends to slow down and even has plateaued until after my fill.

Banded: 1-21-08

Starting weight: 337

Weight at banding: 297

Current weight: 240

I like the necktie analogy - and it makes sense that the band would change as my body gets smaller. We'll see how long this will-power holds out, but I think you're right about hitting a plateau and getting frustrated. Thanks so much for your viewpoints!

I have not had a fill yet. I was banded 1/15/08. I talk to my fill people & Doctors on a weekly basis & will get one if needed. I also had 10 years after my 1st WLS seminar to think about how I will act after my WLS. The best day of my life was Losing my morbidly obese handle. Dr. Atkinson & Dr. Soong installed my realize band. I have had no restriction since leaving hospital on day after surgery. My hardest time was the liquid diet. I hate broth + jello! I have excellent support groups. I had no idea how fast my life would change for the better. I weigh 222 pounds & have lost over 130 pounds. BMI 52 vs 36. I am losing my ass in Vegas & Loving It!! Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If you are losing weight and not feeling hungry then you do not necessarily need a fill. But what is the point of going through with this surgery and trying to reach your goal without getting a fill.

Instead of trying to NOT get a fill, focus on eating healthy and exercising. If you constantly feeling hungry and not losing, then go and get a fill. There is not shame in getting one.

I am really confused by your posts. You have wrote that realize was invented in garage. You have not had Weight Loss Surgery & pre-op you have more to say about fills than a Doctor, fill nurse or patient. Please blow your smoke up someone else's backside. Any successful weight loss band patient, fill nurse or Doctor can teach you when you need a fill. Hasta Pronto, George

Well georgebals I'm guessing you must have felt offended b/c you haven't had any fills yet. I never meant to offend you. I just do not see the reason on focusing on NOT getting a fill. Getting a fill is what most people end up having to do with this surgery. However, some people succeed with out fills. You for one stated you lost a lot of weight without a fill and that is GREAT. We all hope to have and share in your success.

Regardless, I really do not think it justifies your rudeness on the thread.

I am really confused by your posts. You have wrote that realize was invented in garage. You have not had Weight Loss Surgery & pre-op you have more to say about fills than a Doctor, fill nurse or patient. Please blow your smoke up someone else's backside. Any successful weight loss band patient, fill nurse or Doctor can teach you when you need a fill. Hasta Pronto, George

Wow...this is REALLY UGLY! What's your problem you jerk? This site is for support, sharing and, yes, even debate. You certainly have the right to disagree, but you do not have the right to be verbally assaultive about it!

Wow...this is REALLY UGLY! What's your problem you jerk? This site is for support, sharing and, yes, even debate. You certainly have the right to disagree, but you do not have the right to be verbally assaultive about it!

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George that was wrong I surely did not see where she was rude in any way actually I took it as if she was basically saying kuddos to you if your able to do it without fills but the majority of us prolly will need that extra help. But that was uncalled for...

hello! i had my surgery january 23rd of 2008 and have yet to need my first fill! i have lost a total of 50lbs and im feeling great about it! i have little restriction and have done most of this on my own but feel i can get much farther yet on my own! i know i will end up needing a fill somewhere down the line because i do find myself being able to eat a little more then i should i just eat alot slower then everyone else and get fuller alot faster! i am trying to lose at least 75 all together before i go have my first fill! there is nothing wrong with trying it on your own first!

My doctor said only 20% of his patients reach their goal weight w/out any fills. I met one in his waiting room and was genuinely impressed. I was only banded a month ago (7/16) and I'm down 20 lbs - w/out any fill. I have a 10cc band that was put in w/ 2cc already in there. (I think that's right.......) I'm happy with the 20 lbs, but wonder if anyone has thoughts about the no-fill theory.

I'm not afraid of the "pain" of the actual fill, I'm worried about how long it'll take to find the sweet spot. Also, I like knowing that I can eat pretty much any food w/out worrying about it getting stuck or PBing, as long as I chew the $#@! out of it.

:) It definitely takes more self-control, but I'm thinking about trying it. All I can do is try - right? :confused2: Any thoughts out there?

I have gone 3.5 months without a fill, and I'm still losing 5 pounds per month, if I come to a point where I feel hungary and I need a fill than I'll have one but for now I walk everyday swim twice a week, and do my best to watch what I am eating..

The band is an aid not a mircle device, if you need a fill get one if you don't thats great. just like giving birth people if you need pain meds get them don't be silly and suffer- if you don't need them than don't take them. :)