Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ponce in Chattanooga?

Any thoughts on Dr. Ponce in Chattanooga? Please tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks for any replies!:)

I had my surgery with Dr Ponce and had no problems. I was self pay and went to the seminar and 3 weeks later haad my consult and 1 week later had surgery. I have not seen him since surgery day I seen his asst for 1 week post-op,but that is fine I dont need alot of attention and the office staff is great they did the only fill I have had. I might be a exception but have had no major pain and had surgery on Fri traveled 200 miles home on sat and went to work on Mon. ( I made it 6 hrs and went home just got a little tired) I have droped 50 lbs in 8 weeks so he did something right.

The surgery center he uses in Dalton is great they do so many lapbands they really take care of you. surgery was 9:30 and by 1:30 was up walking and discharged by 3:30. Like I said I dont need a lot of pampering but they are very good and just a phone call away ( they have a nurse on call 24/7) Good luck and I feel you will be in good hands. If you have any question I will try to answer.

Edited by Mink

Thank you so much for responding. I have been concerned. I really want this to happen and soon.

I am feeling much better about my choice of doctor. I noticed that in the FAQ part of the forum, there is a part listing different studies on banding. My doctor was the author of at least two of those studies. That makes me feel a little more confident in his skills as my doctor.:thumbdown:

I was banded by Dr Paynter, who works with Ponce. I had to have my surgery done at Memorial because of my insurance. I haven't had any problems.

Dr. Ponce is great! Now you should know that he is very serious during his initial consult. He just wants to make sure you understand everything and are a good candidate for the surgery.

On my day of surgery he came to my pre-op room to see me and meet my family. He has a very nice manner. I saw him again post op and he was very supportive. I had my surgery in Dalton since I was lucky enough to twist my insurance's arm. The nurses are great at Weight Management! I had my first fill this week and again I saw Dr. Ponce. He was so pleased with my progress. Since my pre-op consult, pre-op liquid diet & surgery August 4th I've lost 35 lbs. I am now off my insulin which was 66 units a night and actos (another diabetic medication). I am still taking Riomet (the liquid version of Metformin).

I wish you luck and if you have any other questions please feel free to email me.;)

Dr. Ponce is terrific! He is extremely committed to the quality and care of his patients. That is so obvious when you talk to him and his staff. I've done my research and know that he was one of a handful of surgeons selected by the FDA to study/test the band before it was ever approved. I'm SOLD!:w00t: