Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Electric and gas bills

Has everyone's electricity and gas bills increased? Mine has gone up on average at least 300 from last years. I do have a pool which we run 3 hours a day.

Our electric bill has actually gone down. We replaced 12 light bulbs for CFL bulbs and we're using fewer megawatt hours this year than last. It's definitely not from cutting back power use.

PS: You don't have to be named Julie or Julia to post in this threat.

Yes indeed, my bills keep increasing. This is despite replacing all light bulbs with energy efficient ones, using the clothes dryer less and clothesline more, setting the thermostats higher (for the summer months), and any number of 'green' things...sadly my paycheque is not increasing at the same pace as my bills.

And JulieN, I love the tag line on your signature..:)

Dont get me going about fuel bills!! I now pay £300 PER MONTH for my electric and the same for my oil!!!!

I live in a rural area so I cant get mains gas, and my cooker is an AGA which means it also heats my house, which also me that you either have it on all the time or you have to wait about 1/2 an hour for it to heat up before you can cook anything - and as for the hotplates...... they should be called lukewarm plates, in order to get them hot you have to open the oven door to drop the oven temp as they only get hot while the oven is firing up, that doesnt waste fuel does it!!! Grrrrrrrrr it's one of my pet rants at the moment!

My electric bill this month was the highest I've EVER received, $538, for one freakin month. That doesn't include the gas bill, which heats my two 75 gallon hot Water heaters or my pool, nor does it include my husbands garage, it's on a separate meter, it was only $20.

Thank goodness I'm on the "budget" plan and pay $350.00 every month, so it averages itself out, well it use to any way.

I do have to admit, I keep the thermostat in my bedroom on 67 at night, hey, a girl's gotta sleep, LOL.

All of my porch lights are those energy saving can flood types, I just can't use those kind of bulbs in my ceiling can-lights inside.

Mine is soaring. We live in a two bedroom apartment and pay 350 a month! It's never been below 200. And we're not crazy users. It's just high. I think last month they charged us 23 cents a kwh.

Mine is going up ridiculously.. leaps & bounds. We don't have gas, everything is electric. I use the energy saver lightbulbs, but we have massive computers...

And my husband runs the a/c 24/7.. This month it was up at least +$70 from the last. I couldn't figure out what changed, since nothing in our house has changed.

I think I got you all beat. My electric bill was $630 this month AND last month. After getting the bill last month, I turned up the thermostat on the A/C, unplugged all appliances not in use, cut back on the pool running from 11 hours to 7 hours a day. I'd hate to think what it would have been like if I hadn't made those changes. In Houston, with the humidity, mold and spores, if you only run the pool 3 hours a day, it would turn into pea Soup.< /p>

Oh Nina, we can't get gas to our house, we're out of the city limits too.. But everything we have is electric, do they not have that there? Our stove, oven, heater, etc.. is all electric.

dionna - i know your just south of me, but i think i got ya. my july bill was $873, and we were gone for a wk of that month. we're in rennovation mode of our farm house - replaced 3 AC units, along with other "green" upgrades,...it's just INSANE. on top of that we have a propane tank that takes about $200 a month to keep filled, have to buy diesel for the tractors - and the pool....well it takes alot of running time, like you said to keep the algae from making it pea Soup.

hard to not run the AC in TX from april to oct:rolleyes:

Lulu, that's one contest I'm happy to lose. At least we are winding down August so hopefully the bills will start to go down along with the temperatures. At least we don't have the high heating bills in Houston.

Lulu, that's one contest I'm happy to lose. At least we are winding down August so hopefully the bills will start to go down along with the temperatures. At least we don't have the high heating bills in Houston.

the rain lately has been tremendous!...i keep wishing for snow though:smile::mellow:

but thats the NY gal in me;:smile2::wink2:

I grew up in KY (four seasons most years) but have lived in warm climates for most of my adulthood. I don't miss winter as far as living through an entire winter, but at times I do ache to see a bit of snow and to feel that crisp cold nip at my nose.

Yikes, I live on the gulf coast in Florida (typically 90-100 with 70-90% humidity...and the highest my bill has been this summer is $220. That's with the house at 75 during the day and 73 at night. Our house must be really well insulated, thank goodness. It's a brand new a/c unit so I am sure that helps too along with our energy saving bulbs, etc.

Edited by thatDEgirl