Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really weird hair issue

I seriously doubt this is related to my pregnancy, but you never know, and it's one of the only "what has changed?" things I can think of. Please let me know if you're having similar.

For the last 10 or so days, I've noticed my hair, mostly within a few inches of the roots, at the top of my head only, is really - sticky, for lack of a better word. Like I conditioned and forgot to rinse it out, or put way too much gel in or something.

I've changed every variable I can think of including Water source, Shampoo, comb, towels, etc. I've tried clarifying shampoos, stripping rinses, I've tried multiple shampoo scrub sessions in case something got in my hair (this morning I shampooed it 4 times, scrubbing hard in the affected area, rinsing super well, and even as I'm washing the ahir I can feel the "gumminess". Though my hair is really thick so it's very unlikely that something "got" in my hair at the roots, but did not get on the shaft. I stopped conditioning thinking maybe that would help, and haven't used any type of styling product on my hair for weeks. Everywhere else my hair is fine. I do not have oily hair, I do not have dandruff, or any "scalp" issues.

I doubt it's some change in the hair itself because if I feel it with my fingers, my fingers are a little sticky. No smell, just feel like I need to go wash my hands. My hairdresser's best guess was some odd change due to pregnancy hormone fluctuations. That doesn't seem right because this is a tactile change that seems to "get on" things like my fingers/comb, not just a change in growth or texture. But I figured I'd check in and see if any other preggos have had similar... and how you resolved it.

Odd. I just noticed that my hair felt a little oily at the roots last night. I've never had oily hair in all my life. I switched conditioners when I showered this morning so I'll have to see if it helped.

I never had a problem during my first pregnancy but hormones can do strange things to a woman's body during pregnancy. I suppose anything's possible.

hi ladies,

i'm not currently preg and have never been, but since we're trying, i'm reading a few pregnancy books. I'm not sure if you can find anything online such as a book excerpt, but in "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy", it has several pages all about "dingy dirty hair syndrome". Most women feel their hair darkens or has an oily sheen in the later months of their pregnancy, close to delivery.

Hope that helps?

I never had that particular problem, but I did have Hair loss during pregnancy. It was coming out regularly in my shower. However, I have never had this problem since banding. It is strange how hormones can affect your hair during this time.

My hair has become oily and greasy.. Even after showering, it looks like I didn't shower, or showered without Shampoo.< /p>

Pregnancy can and does do weird things to your hair. I am fortunate that it makes my hair beautiful and thick. NON pregnant it is thin, limp and greasy! It is one of the good things about pg for me. (not including baby!) I am sure it is pg related.

I find this very interesting because I am currently having the exact same problem and I am NOT pregnant. I would describe it almost exactly the same - like I did not completely rinse out shampoo/conditioner or used too much styling product. In fact I came on tonight trying to find out if anyone else was experiencing this - and found this thread. I know there is literature on our body chemistry changing with big weight loss, especially if its faster - I kinda chalked it up to that - I just hope it changes back soon (without slowing the weight loss)

To revisit, problem is resolved. I went as far as to schedule a visit with a dermatologist fearing some kind of weird scalp infection or something, but luckily it resolved prior to going.

What was it? I'm going to guess some type of residue from who knows what product. How did I resolve it? Don't laugh, I washed my hair with Dawn dishwashing soap after a girlfriend (she is a master stylist at a high end salon) suggested it.

I think it was caused by a conditioner I used. I didn't suspect this because I use salon quality products and wasn't using anything new. I'm not positive this was it, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

Why the cleansing shampoos I tried didn't work, I have no idea, but one shower with the Dawn (two shampooings) and the problem was completely resolved. My hair was damn dry and frizzy for a week or two because all the oils were stripped, but that's well worth it.

My best guess is that at some point I applied too much of the conditioner, somehow didn't rinse well enough and failed to notice (I have really thick hair so it has happened that I miss a spot or two of conditioner, but I always feel/see/notice it when I'm combing my hair), and the particular conditioner had some type of ingredient that really "stuck" to my hair. Enough so that despite changing products and using regular cleansing products, the issue remained.

It's still kind of baffling, but it's gone and that's what matters.

So if you're still having the same thing, try the Dawn. Maybe try something a little less extreme first, like the Neutrogena clarifying Shampoo (that made some difference with me, but not much - my "goop" was very strong, apparently).

I swtiched from my usual brands (Biolage and Matrix) to Nexus and so far no problems.

I find this very interesting because I am currently having the exact same problem and I am NOT pregnant. I would describe it almost exactly the same - like I did not completely rinse out shampoo/conditioner or used too much styling product. In fact I came on tonight trying to find out if anyone else was experiencing this - and found this thread. I know there is literature on our body chemistry changing with big weight loss, especially if its faster - I kinda chalked it up to that - I just hope it changes back soon (without slowing the weight loss)

I found this thread the same way. I am also not pregnant and the exact same thing is happening to me! I am only 10 days post op but have lost 25 pounds since 11/3. The weight loss has been rapid but I don't know what to do to stop the oiliness. I only used a 'stripping' type of Shampoo today and plan to keep using just that with no conditioner but I don't know what else to do.

Is this a nutrition deficiency I can help resolve? Do I just have to wait it out? I hate this :(

The only hair issue I am experiencing is "Hair loss" I have very thick coarse hair and now it's just everywhere on the floor. I am shocked on how much Hair loss I have. This was even before pregnancy.. Not sure if it's the band or what...