Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am hungry

mkcarpen

I was banded on 9/15/03. My diet so far has consists of Protein drinks, applesauce, egg drop Soup, sugar free Jello, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and Water.

I have been hungry since the day after surgery and the hunger pains are getting worse every day. I have lost 14 lbs (including pre-op diet) and have not lost anything for 5 days.

I am afraid of losing control and gaining it back. How long do you have to wait for the first fill? I have my 2 week checkup on Monday.

I am so afraid of failing again. Last night at my son's baseball game I purchased a bag of cheese puffs (They disolve in your mouth). I ate 4 and gave the rest of the bag to some kids. If I really want a taste of something I will take a bite, chew it up and spit it out.

Help.

Kathy

Highest 218

202.5/187/130

Kathy, My doc allowed me to start on mush after my first week. This included scrambled eggs, tuna, mashed patatos ect. Maybe you should start on this before considering a fill this soon. Speak to your doctor before you go for the appointment. Tell him your starving!

Laura

I just wanted to say, I was banded two days ago on Thursday. It's Saturday now and I feel like I'm going to starve to death. All I've had is Clear Liquids and not much of that. A lilttle broth here and there and a little apple juice. I'm still in pain mostly it's in my shoulder though. I didn't count on that pain either. I asked my doctor how soon I could get a fill and he said only when I meet the criteria. That means when I'm not losing and can eat still I guess. If I stay on the liquids i'm sure i'll be losing but i won't be able to get a fill? That doesn't make sense to me really. If i didn't have the band, I could lose on liquids alone just as easy. I know i shouldn't start complaining this early seeing as how i've only had the band two days and all. But i'm worried about what will happen on down the road. I am still very swollen from the surgery and i put on seven pounds in the hospital according to my scale. I know it's not real weight though so i'm not worried about it. My meds make me feel sick to my stomach though. I guess maybe we aren't the lucky ones who lose their appetites after surgery for awhile. I know i'm not helping here but just wanted you to know you aren't alone. I'm hungry too blah. Take care of yourself, i'm sure someone on here can give you suggestions.

There really is no reason to be hungry on even a full-liquids diet. Protein shakes -- homemade, not canned -- can be extremely filling, and Soups, yogurt, and pudding can help too. Don't be counting calories or worrying about serving sizes at this early point--just take in what your body needs to be satisfied and let you concentrate on healing.

Kathy, you may have already gotten to soft foods by now, and I hope that's helping your hunger. Let us know how you're feeling!

It is Saturday, 9/27. I got on the scales this morning and lost another pound. It gives me incentive to deal with the hunger. I have been eating scrambled eggs, smoothies, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes. Last night I went out to eat. I passed on the salad and rolls and had a couple bites of a baked potatoe and a grilled catfish fillet.

I have no trouble getting anything down. I am hoping to schedule a fill when I have my two week checkup on Monday. I feel about 90% recovered. The thoughts of why did I do this are gone. It seems like everyday is getting better.

One of the things that has helped me get through this the most is this website. I am not alone in this.

Gotta run, I have baseball games all day. I get to sit and watch everyone else eat hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, and popcorn. I am glad it is not me.

Kathy

Largest 218,

Post Op 202.5

9/27/03 186

Goal 130

Looks like youre not getting in enough Protein.....the mashed taters and stuff seem easy to get down...and taste good....I did the same thing at times......but the carbs are only going to make you more hungry....try adding yogurt...which many have good Protein content......cottage cheese well mashed....so many alternatives....

As for the fill.....you wont really know if you need a fill until you are past the mush stage....and on more solid foods.....because the mushy stuff and soft stuff quickly passes thru the stoma....I have 2ccs in right now....that was my first fill at week 6...and at times I can still eat quite a bit if the food is mushy or soft...my fill was placed during a port revision......i went for my first fill at 5 weeks....only to find that my port was completely flipped.....think my dog tore my stitches when she jumped on me....naughty girl.....

Good luck....and listen to your doc.....he/she is there for advice and listen......after all its what we pay them for....

Becca

8-6-03 Dr. Chua, Milwaukee WI

340/298/170ish.......will weigh next week.....will be 3 weeks no weighing at that point....hope to be suprised!!!:cheeky

****Good luck....and listen to your doc.....he/she is there for advice and listen......after all its what we pay them for....****

for advice and to listen......

Wasnt being bossy!!!LOL

:)

I am thankful for any advice I get. I have started tracking my calories, Proteins, carbs, and fat grams. It seems like carbs are everywhere.

It's only been two weeks. I need to be patient.

Thanks,

Kathy

Guest ds3150

Hi, I'm about 10 days post-op and it is nice to hear of someone else who is hungry and like me, I wasn't restricted at all right after the surgery. Although I really don't know how much I would be if I tried to eat much normal food, I have for the most part tried to stay on the liquids the first week then in the last few days I did move into some mushy foods at times and only alittle, which these went down just like the liquids do. At first I was afraid to take many of my Vitamins at one time so I spread them out thru the day, then I started combining them more together and it was fine, I am a big supplement person and it is hard to find smaller sizes to take now, so I've changed some of them but found at this point I can still take some of the larger ones, which most likely will not work later after 1 or 2 fills. Anyway I do understand the hunger, I am still slowly loosing because I sometimes get more liquids/ soups/potatoes etc. then I really need because they don't stick with you. I am avoiding sweets but really wish I was on the full soft food diet already, I think that will certainly help. How was your experience with the surgery/pain? I had a pretty smooth surgery but I do have port area pain that is now starting to slightly diminish, still on pain pills because it does get alittle worse when I pull or twist it in bed or getting up and down sometimes. Talk to ya later

Debi:)

I am 4 days post-op, and my doc's instructions are clear liquids for two weeks, then one week on full liquids, then two on pureed, and then one? on mushy...I AM STARVING.

I also have a strange sensaton of fullness, yet being hungry at the same time...stomache rummbling hunger. I don't know what will feel good once I eat, or drink as the case may be, so sometimes all I take in is Water. I really want to find something that will satisfy...so far nothing has. A bowl of broth made me get that very full feeling but all along the thunderous rumbling of the stomache...and it hurts sometimes, too.

I have to be honest, I'm a bit jealous of you folks that could go on to mushy foods within the first week.:o

That's my two cents worth...

Sheryl

I agree with the others. Protein will keep the hunger at bay a lot longer than the carbs. I added Protein Powder to my yogurt, fat free pudding, and anything that was still edible after I stirred it. I was never hungry while on mush or liquids after the first few days. This time is about healing inside not about losing. While you may feel okay on the outside that doesn't mean on the inside everything is well yet. Concentrate on following your liquid/mush diet so all goes well inside otherwise you may very well push your band to the limits and cause stiches to tear or your pouch to slip. Good luck!

What Alexandra said.

Until your first adjustment--or until about six weeks post-op--your life should not be about losing weight. You can keep track, if you want, but it will probably make you crazy, because you will likely be hungry.

Also, this time is NOT about what you can eat, because you have no idea what you can or cannot eat without damaging your stomach. And, BY THE WAY, you can damage your stomach or band without feeling any pain.

My experience is that most post-op hunger/exhaustion is related to insufficient Protein intake. The rest is all in our heads, and therein lies the real battleground.

Sue

I think you will find it a lot harder to fail now! You have a new weapon on your side. It will work for you. You will be able to eat good again soon. Just not a smuch. Once you get used to the calorie cut back it will be normal living except with all the confidence you will have gaine from losing!! You know how you felt when you used cut the calories back all of a sudden and severely. Weak, hunger pains maybe a little shakey? You will relearn this time and be able maintain a diet!! Or I did. I went through hunger and being weak for a little while. We have plenty stored energy !!